PRS S2 Satin Question

AkiraSpectrum

Hi all,

I saw a PRS S2 Satin (I think it was a 2016 model) in a local guitar store and quickly grabbed it off the shelf to check it out. I've played numerous S2 Customs but have yet to play the Satin series. One thing I noticed immediately, is that the satin finish is quite different than any other satin finish I've played.

Most satin finishes I've played (on neck, and or body) were very smooth and silky, this satin finish was not really smooth at all. Rather it felt like a semi-satin feel. My thinking is that the difference is that I could feel the 'open pores' of the wood. I went to the PRS website and see that the S2 Satin models say they are 'satin nitro' finishes. Does this satin nitro finish account for the 'kind of satin, but kind of gloss' feel of these guitars? I assume that the satin nitro plus the open pores give these guitars a distinctive look and feel.

As an side, I thought this $1300 CAD guitar was fantastic (aside from the bland plastic dot inlays that look awfully cheap) and outplayed both Gibsons I had jammed on earlier (Gibson LP Standard 2017 Blueberry Burst at $3200 CAD & a '59 reissue or something that was $7000 CAD) with better setup and construction.

My question is in regards to the 'open pore' aspect of the woods. Can anyone quickly explain this finishing process? My assumption is that its cheaper to produce a guitar with open pores, rather than filling the pores and then putting on the satin-nitro finish. Any info would be helpful, just trying to understand the 'open pore' aspect since this is something I've rarely ever seen before.

Thanks.

It's a very simple finish process, which does save time (which of course equals money). Mahogany is an open grained wood, so the finish process generally includes applying grain filler to make the surface smooth.

On the S2 Satin, they simply skip the grain filler (and the ensuing sanding) and go right to spraying the the finish.

And since it's satin, it also saves time/labor/money because it doesn't require as much wet sanding and buffing.

Gibson has used a similar process on several of their less expensive models.

Advantages are it's quick, inexpensive, thin, and has a feel a lot of people like.

The neck is where it's at with these IMO. Satin necks are a thing of wonder, and finding mahogany satin necks in the guitar world in general is not easy. Prior to the satin Vela I used to own, the only other guitar I'd had with a satin-finish open pore neck was a Nik Huber, and as you can imagine there was a pretty not-insubstantial price difference.

I helped a friend get a satin S2 24 fretter. The body vibrates Ike a bell. Part of that is the satin finish. The more open the wood pores are the better it vibrates (IMHO). It`s about sound for me. THe fact that it costs less is just icing on the cake.

It's a very simple finish process, which does save time (which of course equals money). Mahogany is an open grained wood, so the finish process generally includes applying grain filler to make the surface smooth.

On the S2 Satin, they simply skip the grain filler (and the ensuing sanding) and go right to spraying the the finish.

And since it's satin, it also saves time/labor/money because it doesn't require as much wet sanding and buffing.

Gibson has used a similar process on several of their less expensive models.

Advantages are it's quick, inexpensive, thin, and has a feel a lot of people like.

Thanks! That was exactly the answer I was looking for.

And thanks to everyone else for their input.

I definitely loved the S2 Satin, it played so well. The satin-nitro finish over the open-pore mahogany was definitely cool. If I hadn't just purchased some SD pickups for my SE-7 I might have broke down and bought the S2 Satin. The CE-24 I played was really nice too, but the S2 Satin definitely had something special going on.

I've had 2 satin finished guitars over the years.....an Ibanez SZ320MH (mahogany body and neck, set neck) and a Gibby LP Studio Faded. Both had great tones to them. I sold the Gibby pretty quickly, but the Ibanez I owned for 15 years or so (just sold it). That guitar was/is incredible to play and had great tone and feel. After years of playing and sweat, the back of the neck developed a gloss unlike any nitro or poly finished neck that I have ever felt. Satin finishes can be things of wonder.

I kind of miss that guitar, but it helped fund another PRS so I don't miss it that much!

Back