PRS S2 McCarty 594 - Locking Tuner Replacement

swstandring

I just picked up a new 2020 S2 McCarty 594 which so far I love. I've been spoiled for years by having locking tuners on all of my SE guitars. Whenever I bought a new one I would just automatically also get a set of the Grover Mini-Rotomatics...even on an Angelus acoustic. I would not even play it until I swapped out the tuners. Makes string changes such a breeze and the tuners themselves were super high quality when compared to the standard SE tuners.

Obviously the S2 does not come with locking tuners, and has the classic Kluson-style tuners. Does anyone have any recommendations on what's out there that would be a direct plug and play, drop 'em in and keep playing, no drilling or modifications required locking replacement?

BTW: Mine's the standard version, not the singlecut or thinline version if that's at all important in this discussion

Thanks for the help and advice.

There are kluson and gotoh’s that are both basically a drop in for the vintage style tuners, you my need to open up the post hole slightly though for the bushing with a reamer. A drill or round file will work in a pinch if you are careful.
Here’s the gotohs: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/99?loc=https://www.ebay.com/p/2197246996?iid=253110161617

The kluson revolutions look nice but are a little more expensive. Gotoh makes all the stock tuners for PRS anymore.

"The Kluson Revolutions look nice but are a little more expensive."

Yes, there were the units that 1st really caught my eye as a potential solution here.

Which leads to more questions of course...

Collared vs Non-Collared?

I am assuming I need non-Collared ones? Collared appears to have the hex-nut that screws in from the face of the headstock, similar to the Mini-Rotomatics which I have used a bunch in the past.

I don’t own anything with those tuners but my guess would be the non collared with the press in bushings for the post will be closest. The collared ones need a 10mm hole while the non collared is smaller.

That's really good news and removes all guesswork!

Thanks for the heads up Shawn, really appreciate it.

Starting next month, PRS will offer locking tuners with the same footprint and buttons as the current 594 tuners. They'll be available from dealers/distributors and from the PRS accessories page.
Any update on this? Just checked the PRS Accessories page, and not seeing these available yet. Just bought a '20 S2 594 SC. Love the guitar, hate the tuners. And not just because they're not locking; they're also not smooth turning and accurate like all of my other PRS guitars.

Yes, I saw that the classic tuners that come on the S2 McCarty 245 are on the PRS page but they are not locking as Shawn mentioned. Was hoping to see them as locking but no dice for now I guess.

I am within driving distance of Mannmade USA in Bedford NH who does modifications to make the stock tuners to make them locking and will probably go this route for now. I did get some of the Kluson Revolution 3+3 lockers for a '59 Les Paul Jr kit build and they are very very nice but have opaque tuner knobs. Right now I like the fact that the tuner keys coloration match the binding and the pickup mounting rings and I don't want to mess with that. Need to find a nut that matches!!!

I just got a set of the vintage locking tuners this week for my Core Starla and they work great. Direct replacement so no extra drilling. The mechanism is smooth and a little tight, but no slop in the gears at all. The locking part works just like the Phase 2/3 locking tuners.

The Kluson Revolutions don't look like they have a brass string shaft, otherwise they look pretty sweet.

With the sale, I may have jump on the Phase III. Thanks for that heads up bodia!

The Phase III are a direct drop in, if you don't want to wait for the Vintage style to be available.
The vintage style locking tuners are available, I just got a set through the dealer here this week.

Thanks bodia, placed an order for the Phase III tuners. If ya'll didn't know, all accessories from the PRS Store are 10% off this weekend! Code is SAVE10

The Kluson Revolutions don't look like they have a brass string shaft, otherwise they look pretty sweet.

With the sale, I may have jump on the Phase III. Thanks for that heads up bodia!

You’re welcome!

Thanks bodia, placed an order for the Phase III tuners. If ya'll didn't know, all accessories from the PRS Store are 10% off this weekend! Code is SAVE10
I wanted to order some SE locking tuners, but they're out of stock. John Mann doesn't have them either.

I wanted to order some SE locking tuners, but they're out of stock. John Mann doesn't have them either.
Last night the set of 6 SE locking tuners came back on the PRS site! Still haven't decided what to about the 594 tuners.

Kept having to play around with the discount code and buying more stuff so that I could get free shipping.

So I ended up with 6 SE locking for my SE245 a couple sets of strings and a trem cavity cover for $101, felt sweet!

The tuners are still listed for sale.

Back