PRS S2, Fret material

Rhandy

Hi,

I´m asking if all S2 line use the same hard fret material used on Core Line?

Having multiples of both, it sure feels like it! I notice no significant difference in feel with the neck/fretboard when bouncing between an S2 and a Core.

Hi,

I´m asking if all S2 line use the same hard fret material used on Core Line?
It is an old conversation but I would like to add something. I have a 2013 P22 wood library a 2012 P24 LTD and then I decided to buy an S2 charcoal standard 24 through internet . I had high expectations and when the guitar arrived I started inspection and really the guitar is fine, fret work is nice etc., however the fret wire used absolutely is not the same compared to my P22 and P24. The S2 has much smaller and lower frets (like some old Gibsons). They are so low for me that when playing some bends my finger touches the fingerboard and this makes the bends more effort/force requiring. Also the material does not look the same, when I do a silent bend on P24 no squicking sound is coming from the string and fret friction,but on S2 I hear the sound of my finger pressing the wood plus the sound of the string rubbing on the fret . I dont know why but it seems they used a cheaper inferior fretwire but did a perfect fret end finishing job. Although I liked the guitar the frets make it a pain for me :(. I will sell it sooner or later. I thought to give the guitar to a luthier for refret but then this will damage/ break the laquer which covers the fret ends etc . Soo my suggestion to everyone if fret height and material is important to you buy a second hand core model instead of S2 line. I dont know why PRS did not mention in the site that for S2 they use different fret height and wire from core models. By the way rest of the guitar was very nice, Korean made 85/15 s were good enough too, very usable sounds.

Back