PRS S2 CU 22 SH Pickup Question

BinaryEuphoria

Hello PRSi Gurus,

I currently upgraded my PU on my S2 CU22 SH with a 59 on the neck and a 59/Custom on the bridge, thinking of moving those pickups to my S2 CU24 instead and getting new pickups on the 22.

What are your thoughts on these pickups:
Seth Lovers or Antiquities? I love the 59 and 59/C but want a different sound. I'm open to other suggestions too.

I play mainly rock of all sorts, ranging from clean to high gain.

I find the 85/15 "S" pickups to be pretty versatile -- but that's just me. What do you find lacking in the stock pickups?

I believe the pickups weren't 85/15 S, since it was a 2016 model. I just love the sound of the 59 PU personally. Was considering those two in order to have some variety to my sound.

I still have the #7’s in my S2 CU22 Semi, when it comes to character that matches the tone of the guitar itself, I like them. They emphasize the treble and upper mids, and it’s a mellow and bassy guitar, so I feel they help to keep some articulation and tonal balance. Didn't care for the #7 bridge as much in my Satin Standard 22, too bright and twangy, but still loved the neck.

I have Seth Lovers in my ZM, they’re nice pickups, but perhaps more even tonally than I would prefer in the S2 Semi, as the combination could be less articulate in the highs. Quite low output, even less than my 57/08’s, I like vintage output pickups but I don’t think I’d go any lower than that.

Wild idea that someone here put in my head a while back: a set of Starla pickups in the S2 Semi. They’re bright, but not shrill. It would be an unorthodox combination, but if I didn’t like my 7’s so much, I would’ve done it myself by now.

Ah....#7 "S" pickups, huh? I'm just learning how to deal with them in my new S2 Singlecut. I try my best to work with the stock pickups since they were spec'd that way for a reason. (But I'll keep watching this thread... there's plenty of experienced eyeballs reading this thread, so I'm sure they'll be some good suggestions)

Ah....#7 "S" pickups, huh? I'm just learning how to deal with them in my new S2 Singlecut. I try my best to work with the stock pickups since they were spec'd that way for a reason. (But I'll keep watching this thread... there's plenty of experienced eyeballs reading this thread, so I'm sure they'll be some good suggestions)

I played on an S2 Singlecut with 7’s in the shop the other day, liked the bridge more than I did in the Standard 22, and the neck equally well (dig the 7 neck everywhere so far). But I could see a 59/09 being a killer in there too.

I'm a fan of 7's and 59/09's. Either will give you the rock tones you are looking for. In my rig the 59/09's sound more aggressive than the 7's but both rock.

Hmmm I was looking for a more subdued sound, possibly venturing into ambient and jazzy tones. Unfortunately I don't have the #7s anymore, I swapped them out immediately and the GC Tech "Lost" my pickups.

I have used Seth Lovers and Antiquity humbuckers before. I love both, but prefer Antiquities unless I'm playing at stage volume. They feedback too easily.

I have used Seth Lovers and Antiquity humbuckers before. I love both, but prefer Antiquities unless I'm playing at stage volume. They feedback too easily.
If I get the Antiquities and not worry about being in stage volume, I'd be ok? Thanks. Was thinking of the Antiquities with 4 conductors or the SL with 4C.

Sounds like they owe you a set of #7s

Agreed. Though this happened almost two years ago.

@BinaryEuphoria - Yeah, unless you are cranking your amp SUPER loud, you should be fine with Antiquities. At regular volumes I never had issues with them. They sound killer. Either choice - the Antiquities or the SLs - will sound great.

The Seth's are unpotted as well. I have not had feedback issues with either but I don't play super loud and high gain so it isn't surprising. I love both of them.

Last edited:
The Seth's are unpotted as well. I have not had feedback issues with either but I don't play super loud and high gain so it isn't surprising. I love both of them.
Listening to both, I'm leaning towards the Seth's. Are there any issues regarding the pickup?

Another question, which John Mann bridge fits the guitar? 2000 NOS?

Seth Lover's are GREAT pickups. I still have one in an Ibanez RG560. It sounds great. The only thing I am curious about is your high gain rig. I can imagine them getting "squishy" if you were running something with 6L6s and MASSIVE preamp gain. The "heaviest" I ever went with the Seth Lover is a Sabbath-type tone, or Celtic Frost - you know, the boosted JCM800 type tone....

Was thinking of only using low gain on this guitar (upto 90s alternative rock), I have a Marshall DSL 40C, Boss Katana 50 and will get a Mesa Mark V in the future.

Back