PRS Robben Ford model

I see the insecurity is still strong on this forum...

Somebody posts an opinion that the regulars don’t like and they all close ranks. It’s sadly predictable, and predictably sad. Feel free to add me to all your ignore lists LOL!

Anyway... I’m in my 40s and RF was a huge influence on my guitar playing when I started learning (I should add I’m still learning). I don’t think he was all that well known even then outside of the blues world? In terms of his ‘relevance’ today, it’s totally subjective of course, but it’s kind of like questioning the relevance of Hendrix or Chuck Berry or, I dunno, Chet Atkins...?

Bob hit the nail on the head. He put into words what I was trying to sum up in my thoughts but couldn't find exactly the right terminology. Insecurity is a great word. You guys react similarly to certain comments on this forum like if someone spoke ill of your significant other. That's not really a healthy thing. Honestly, and I'll get flack for this, I've never had the feeling here that I was interacting with very many great players/musicians. That's not to put anyone down. The reasons you like PRS guitars are you own. Heck, I wouldn't begrudge anyone who just bought them to stick on a wall and never played them. None of my business. You helped to keep people employed. But, if that's your insecurity and it's causing you to be...well...jerks, then it is my business and I'll call you out on it. I do know for a FACT that there are some great players here and predictably they tend to be the more level headed ones, or, just nice. I get PMs on other forums asking me why I keep posting here, as if I must be crazy or something. Maybe a glutton for punishment.

I see the insecurity is still strong on this forum...

Somebody posts an opinion that the regulars don’t like and they all close ranks. It’s sadly predictable, and predictably sad. Feel free to add me to all your ignore lists LOL!

No, it's not "an opinion that the regulars don't like," it was the way it was said. Paul clearly had one goal in doing this amp. Drew didn't say "this might be cool, but it's not for me because now that I'm used to feature A, B, C and D and I just can't use an amp that doesn't include these features. Instead, he chose to say things like this.

It was great that Paul got John Mayer but he really needs to nab another prime sub-AARP level guitar god for a model. I'm sure all of you boomers are loving this but the guy is darn near 70 and does not have mass appeal anymore.

You and others seem to think that this forum exists for everyone to high five each other, slap each others butts, and worship everything Paul does. I can guarantee you that I've had far more PRS guitars go through my possession than you have.

PRS has done some commendable stuff in regards to moving some things forward. But, on the whole, PRS is very much a retro themed guitar company now. I don't know what your definition of "forward thinking" is. To me, the Parker Fly was an example of that.

I'm not even a fan of Herman Li. I don't really like his playing much at all. But, if you think he is a no talent punk, then that shows how much you really know about guitar.

Then I'm guessing you aren't much of a musician, nor can probably play the guitar very well.

As I posted earlier, I don't have an issue with the fact that the HX or the Ford guitar is not for Drew. But to act like Paul made a mistake by not including these features, to act like there is no reason not to include these features, that the amp is overpriced because it doesn't have these features, won't sell, Paul isn't aware of the current market because they expect these features, and all those other things he said, are very different than just saying the amp is not for you. And if you didn't see all those comments in the HX thread, plus these, then you're just talking out your ass on the "insecurity" and "closing ranks" comments.

This amp more than likely isn't for me either, but I completely understand why they did it the way they did. And even if I wasn't interested, I wouldn't be bad mouthing Paul for making it this way. And THAT is what got all this started. So this is not insecurity or closing ranks. If you think you can read a couple posts and make these proclamations, maybe I'll think about taking you up on your "ignore" request.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob hit the nail on the head. He put into words what I was trying to sum up in my thoughts but couldn't find exactly the right terminology. Insecurity is a great word. You guys react similarly to certain comments on this forum like if someone spoke ill of your significant other. That's not really a healthy thing. Honestly, and I'll get flack for this, I've never had the feeling here that I was interacting with very many great players/musicians. That's not to put anyone down. The reasons you like PRS guitars are you own. Heck, I wouldn't begrudge anyone who just bought them to stick on a wall and never played them. None of my business. You helped to keep people employed. But, if that's your insecurity and it's causing you to be...well...jerks, then it is my business and I'll call you out on it. I do know for a FACT that there are some great players here and predictably they tend to be the more level headed ones, or, just nice. I get PMs on other forums asking me why I keep posting here, as if I must be crazy or something. Maybe a glutton for punishment.

Nice post. And you wonder why you're so popular around here! :p I'd love to hear your playing. I'm sure you'd blow us all away with your mad skilz, what with you again insulting players, and with the end of your post indicating that you're a credit to the forum and we're lucky to have you here. ;) Here's the problem though, for me at least. Even if you ARE a bad ass, it's only the poor taste in insulting others skills that I'd take issue with. I'm sure you're well aware when you even say something like that, that you aren't going to make any friends. Even amongst those who can play.

Being "level headed" or "nice" has nothing to do with responding to insults. And for your "insecurity" comments, guess what. I am offended by your comments about other players ability, but not because it applies to me, just because it's in poor taste.

:rolleyes:

Nice post. And you wonder why you're so popular around here! :p I'd love to hear your playing. I'm sure you'd blow us all away with your mad skilz, what with you again insulting players, and with the end of your post indicating that you're a credit to the forum and we're lucky to have you here. ;) Here's the problem though, for me at least. Even if you ARE a bad ass, it's only the poor taste in insulting others skills that I'd take issue with. I'm sure you're well aware when you even say something like that, that you aren't going to make any friends. Even amongst those who can play.

Being "level headed" or "nice" has nothing to do with responding to insults. And for your "insecurity" comments, guess what. I am offended by your comments about other players ability, but not because it applies to me, just because it's in poor taste.

You sir, might be THE most sensitive person on the internet. My apologies for invading your safe space and apparently everyone else's.

An example of the over-sensitivity on this forum can be seen just by looking at my original posts in this thread and the HX amp thread. Nothing malicious. Yet, you guys twist this stuff into directions it was never in. Yeah, I'm going to get defensive and fight back when I feel like I'm being piled on for really no reason. I never insulted anyone. Clearly another twisting on your part. I made an observation and a speculation. NEVER was there a direct insult. Clearly I cannot insult someone if I haven't seen them actually play. Maybe you might understand that. If my observation applies to you, so be it. I don't hold it against you, EXCEPT when you and others prance around here like your words never stink and everyone elses do. It reeks of this entitlement and sense of being elite that you haven't earned. So, yeah, then I'll question the musicianship I'm dealing with because it directly relates as to who is full of crap and who isn't. It is a guitar and amp forum after all. I can play guitar VERY well thank you. I could post all the vids in the world but you guys would find every reason to tear them apart even if the technique was flawless. I certainly know better than to go down that road.

Last edited:
Back