PRS Robben Ford model

In addition to being one of the world's great players, Robben is a down-to-earth, very nice human being.

My son and I attended one of his clinics quite a while back, and I'm certain we both learned quite a bit. It was a lot of fun, besides.

You know, the snarky attacks against PRS on TGP used to be, "Who plays PRS besides a bunch of doctors and lawyers?" As if famous endorsers are the sine qua non of making great instruments.

I guess people who can't think for themselves need the 'proof' the instruments are good. Their heroes have to play the instruments, and then suddenly it's OK to own them.

People don't ask that any more. There are lots of great players who choose PRS. A guy like Robben Ford can go to any guitar manufacturer in the world, and they'll be proud as hell to have him on their artist list. But he seems to like PRS as well as his other stuff these days.

Gee, I've been playing PRS since 1991. I guess it's OK for me to have them now. ;)

Last edited:
One this caught my attention, not only the headstock is bigger, it looks also to be in a different angle.
Of all the possible mods done to the original McCarty to bring it closer to the Les Paul, such as pickups, tuners, various scale lengths, even the whole body shape, the HS angle was never questioned or modified in any way, and it definitely plays a big role to the instrument overall feel and tone.
This one seems different...

I guess people who can't think for themselves need the 'proof' the instruments are good. Their heroes have to play the instruments, and then suddenly it's OK to own them.
I'm one of those people who's none of their "guitar heroes" play PRS. I've just found PRS to be better than other guitars for me personally.

I ask WHY?

You guys are great at just doing the single emoji but few of you are actually good at putting up logical arguments to refute any point I make. Not all of you. Les, as combative as he is, is superb with the debate. Some others too. But the single emoji is kinda like the thing one does because they think its cool but just makes one look sort of ...well...I won't say it here. :)

OK, Robben Ford has more talent in his little pinky than any punk “shredder” has in his whole wimpy body. How is that? When you come on here disrespecting a legend, and promoting no talent punks, you are lucky to only get an eye roll.

Add another to the ignore list. ;)

Same here.
I don’t need that to justify what I choose to play.
Also, I don’t automatically like an artist just because they use the same gear that I use.

Sortoff same here. I really like Tremonti's solo stuff. His tone on All I Was is my definition of modern metal tone but my rig is far from Marks rig. Two Core 24's, vintage voiced Boogie Fillmore boosted to nuke is what I use and it's a result of trials and errors over past 2 decades made me to chose my rig. Same time the thing Robben plays on the clip above is amazing. Its like my 35th Anniversary minus trem I don't use and less 2 frets which I don't climb to anyway. It looks slick!

Anyways - regarding some comments above - I see Paul's company as a one of not many forward thinking guitar makers and totally disagree that he stuck in past. Also as a paramedic and placement educator for new generation of medic I only care for third type of feedback - constructive

:rolleyes:

I see Paul's company as a one of not many forward thinking guitar makers and totally disagree that he stuck in past.

:rolleyes:

PRS has done some commendable stuff in regards to moving some things forward. But, on the whole, PRS is very much a retro themed guitar company now. I don't know what your definition of "forward thinking" is. To me, the Parker Fly was an example of that. The first Steinbergers another. The Music Man Majesty is a modern example of something forward thinking. Then you have what Kiesel is doing with headless, multiscale, finishes, etc that are all looking to the future.

OK, Robben Ford has more talent in his little pinky than any punk “shredder” has in his whole wimpy body. How is that? When you come on here disrespecting a legend, and promoting no talent punks, you are lucky to only get an eye roll.

Add another to the ignore list. ;)

I'm not even a fan of Herman Li. I don't really like his playing much at all. But, if you think he is a no talent punk, then that shows how much you really know about guitar.

PRS has done some commendable stuff in regards to moving some things forward. But, on the whole, PRS is very much a retro themed guitar company now. I don't know what your definition of "forward thinking" is. To me, the Parker Fly was an example of that. The first Steinbergers another. The Music Man Majesty is a modern example of something forward thinking. Then you have what Kiesel is doing with headless, multiscale, finishes, etc that are all looking to the future.

First two companies you listed are out of business... :rolleyes:

First two companies you listed are out of business... :rolleyes:

Has nothing to do with the point. The latter 2 are not out of business and the Music Man Petrucci/Majesty models are the #2 selling signature model on the planet. Only behind the Les Paul.

As non talent punk I kinda agree with @shimmilou

Then I'm guessing you aren't much of a musician, nor can probably play the guitar very well. Because if you were either, you'd at least recognize that he's more or less one of the most technically proficient guitar players on the planet.

Has nothing to do with the point. The latter 2 are not out of business and the Music Man Petrucci/Majesty models are the #2 selling signature model on the planet. Only behind the Les Paul.

There is a strong point right there IMO, I can only speak for myself but I value progress as much as attachment to tradition. I am ex EBMM player, there is a reason why I own 2 PRS and no more Big Poppa's stuff.

Then I'm guessing you aren't much of a musician, nor can probably play the guitar very well. Because if you were either, you'd at least recognize that he's more or less one of the most technically proficient guitar players on the planet.

Yeah, I'm a paramedic, playing for pleasure - what's wrong with that? I play since I was 7, 41 now, I sucked some eggs my friend...

OY, baby...
Interestingly, a few years back, all I thought PRS was "picking up" at that time were the newer "Kill yer Mama" or "Cookie Monster" music guitarists...
I think he pretty much covers a wide swath of musicians. And I've been introduced to some new stuff along the way...Opeth, being one good example.
I've always loved Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, and Robben Ford. (Regardless of what axe they sling...;)my old man reference thrown in for good measure:D:D:D)

Good for him/them (PRS)!!!!!!

Oh, and I love Herman Li!!!!!

how long ago was this?
wondering because in my recent research into the DGT i found a video of DG talking about how PRS had put a gold top something in Robbens hands but he sent it back-DG even showed a picture of it. DG took that model and went from there and over about a 20 yr period if my memory is right, the now DGT model evolved.

Hmmm, probably around 2003-4.

Get a little butt hurt Drew? Like YOU said this forum is partially for opinions that PRS may take into consideration and most on here think the new amp and possible new artist model guitar is good. By the way I bought my first PRS new in 89 so I have been with him for a long time myself. Sure he's made some models I don't care for but I don't get on here and whine about it. I just don't buy em. And I hope you continue to voice your opinions but stop being a MElinnial

Hmmm.....that's a different guitar than the one in the IG post that started this thread. Interesting....,

If I remember correctly he was using a black PRS for IG/social media posts earlier in the year. It may be that one. It was some live streaming thing, where he was in a studio.

I actually agree with a few things that Drew said. I think an open discussion, in an intelligent way, is a good thing. It is ok to express dissatisfaction with a new product if it fails to speak to you.

I think getting a wide range of Artists in the camp is good. Older Icons, as well a newer guns who are shaping the future.

I look at various artists that have been brought into the camp as additional pieces of the pie. Each one speaking to a new group to add to the team. I may not love this one or that one but each plays their part to grow the brand.

Growing the brand is good for all!!

Interested to hear the specs of this guitar. Robben always sounds great, clean or dirty, and has unique phrasing that is very recognizable. That is true talent, regardless of his age. And true talent is a lot more important to me than demographics. I'm drawn to expressive players, and Robben Ford is certainly one of those.

I hope it has an ebony fretboard, and I'm curious about the neck carve and the signature pickups. Robben has played a lot of 335's, Goldtops (some with P-90's), his old yellow Tele, signature Fender guitars (with spruce tops), and hollowbodies like his Epiphone. He is pretty particular, so if PRS was able to make him happy, it's probably a pretty nice instrument.

Back