PRS Rechargeable Clip-On Headstock Tuner - just doesn't keep charge

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
I was excited about the PRS clip-on tuner when it came out, since many don't fit the headstock super great.

The rechargeable aspect seemed cool, but WOOF does it not hold any charge. I was expecting something like the Apple TV remote where you charge it every few weeks and then can ignore it, so I could leave it in a gigbag. Pretty much every time I go to turn it on, it's dead.

Anyone had better luck with theirs?

Got mine when they first came out. Same issue. If I don't keep it on the charger, it dies in a few days.

Amazing PRS customer service lives on, post-Shawn!

Got this response in <2hrs (emphasis mine):

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. We are sorry you have had this experience. We would like to send you a replacement tuner right away. Please reply to this thread with your shipping address, and we will gladly send you a new PRS Rechargeable Clip-On Tuner. These carry an unlimited lifetime warranty, and we have improved upon the battery life of our early tuners. We think you’ll be pleased. Thank you for being a valued PRS customer.

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. We are sorry you have had this experience. We would like to send you a replacement tuner right away. Please reply to this thread with your shipping address, and we will gladly send you a new PRS Rechargeable Clip-On Tuner. These carry an unlimited lifetime warranty, and we have improved upon the battery life of our early tuners. We think you’ll be pleased. Thank you for being a valued PRS customer.

Thanks for the positive update - this is now on my to-do list. Sad thing is, my mother just asked me to pick up another tuner for her a couple weeks ago, and I didn't get one of these partly because of the battery issue. Also because it's rechargeable - I figured this would just add a complication I don't need to deal with.

That's awesome. I was waiting for Thomann to bring these Clip-On Tuners last year but by the time they did, I had read that so many people had issues with them not being able to hold charge that I ended up not buying one. That message you got definitely shows some fantastic customer service from PRS but I wonder how PRS EU would respond if I had the same issue if I ever bought one. Unfortunately, here in Europe customer service isn't as great as is it Stateside.

Last edited:
I just got one of these and I can't get it to fully charge. I have left it charging for days and it's never gotten past the 3rd bar....Also, it turns itself off while I'm playing......

I’ve had excellent luck with my TC Polytune clip on. Not rechargeable though. Fits my SE Custom 22 headstock fine jus adjacent to the low E string. Not a super tuner friendly headstock…

Back