PRS quality: 1980's vs 90's vs 00's vs 10's vs 20's.....

Great post Lou!

My first two PRS's were brand new from 2003 and 2005, respectively. Since then, I have owned/own PRS's from the early 90's to 2022. Quality and build wise, they have all been top notch. In that regard, PRS has been incredibly consistent over the years.

That said, my "golden era" of PRS's falls in to a range similar to Sergio's, which I will say is 2008 to 2015 or so. As Sergio said, this period brought us the amazing 5x/xx series of pickups. The small tweaks and changes (blade selectors, phase 3 tuners, etc) I believe were thoughtful improvements on already excellent instruments and most importantly, gave rise to some of my favorite guitars ever. My 2012 NF3, 2011 JA-15 and 2015 McCarty are all lifer guitars; two being unique models that we may not see again.

But while PRS has not been pushing the innovation envelope quite as hard as in those years, the instruments are still amazing; my latest, a 2022 Robben Ford, is a resonant tone monster and has quickly become an all time favorite.

I gave it a decade. But I chose to stop at 2013 because of the S2’s killing the (Core) Mira and Starla and because that’s the year they went all in on the blade switch.

I also personally feel the SE line shifted direction that year too.
I'm sure they have done well by it, but the whole S2 reveal at Experience made me a bit sad.

My 1993 Custom 22 has similar high quality build and workmanship as my 2021 Wood Library DGT. The differences being the CU22 has the wide fat neck with Dragon 1’s, a softer body carve and I installed the newer greatly improved stop tailpiece with brass inserts which really brought out a much finer frequency response with more sustain……The DGT has that amazing Grissom neck carve and pickups with a trem that stays in perfect tune.. Love them both for different tones. The CU22 is a total rock guitar and I love the 5 way rotary switch that has 2 great Strat tones in it whereas the DGT is a bit of a cross between an LP and Tele (when the coils are split)..it also weighs only 7 1/2 lbs giving it an airier tone, imho . The Brazilian fingerboard? Who knows
the 93 finish is poly, which is very durable and still looks new. The guitar was originally purple but has faded to a great red color, which I prefer………..The DGT is nitro and far more fragile, but that Copperhead color is priceless…..
All the small improvements over the years are apparent in the newer guitars, but I still love my older ones as well.
apparently, I didn’t answer the question…. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My 1993 Custom 22 has similar high quality build and workmanship as my 2021 Wood Library DGT. The differences being the CU22 has the wide fat neck with Dragon 1’s, a softer body carve and I installed the newer greatly improved stop tailpiece with brass inserts which really brought out a much finer frequency response with more sustain……The DGT has that amazing Grissom neck carve and pickups with a trem that stays in perfect tune.. Love them both for different tones. The CU22 is a total rock guitar and I love the 5 way rotary switch that has 2 great Strat tones in it whereas the DGT is a bit of a cross between an LP and Tele (when the coils are split)..it also weighs only 7 1/2 lbs giving it an airier tone, imho . The Brazilian fingerboard? Who knows
the 93 finish is poly, which is very durable and still looks new. The guitar was originally purple but has faded to a great red color, which I prefer………..The DGT is nitro and far more fragile, but that Copperhead color is priceless…..
All the small improvements over the years are apparent in the newer guitars, but I still love my older ones as well.
It took me almost 30 years to appreciate the rotary switch. I just didn't get it at first. My 95 and 97 CE22's are stock with Dragon 1 pickups.

What I love is the two slug coils in series sound in the middle of the switch. It creates a ghost middle humbucker sound that's different from the sound you get when two humbuckers are combined. It actually sounds like the guitar has a middle humbucker.

Last edited:
The quality has always been there, but it has incrementally improved over time.

I still get excited when seeing and playing stuff from the Annapolis era. The softer lines of the duplicarved tops, the color palate, generally “better” tops on production guitars, and the hardware choices, etc.

But there’s no denying how “perfect” or “exact” the new guitars are, they’re put together immaculately, and their wood drying process has resulted in some hella resonant examples more often.

But.. my favorite period of PRS is becoming from around 2003-2013. Sure, V12 falling off sucks (as does blushing/clouding, but that’s been happening forever) but it’s the designs from that period that really get me excited.

It was such an innovative time for the company and perhaps it was out of desperation, but they were f@cking hungry then.

The Modern Eagle, Mira, Starla, West Street Limited, DGT, the KL line, Ted, 57/08’s, 59/09’s, 53/10’s, NF’s, etc. etc. It was a great time for new models and new “technology”.

Selfishly, as a customer, I wouldn’t mind seeing PRS struggle again for a minute. The new barrage of 594’s and SS’s are exceptionally well made, but boring AF for me.

Been playing them since 1991, and have averaged one new one a year, which seems like a decent sample size over a range of years.

For me, PRS' achievements in tone and playability were incremental until around 2008, and then accelerated tremendously, a trend that continues. The introduction of the nitro finishes on standard models has taken things a step further.

Everyone's got their preferences, but for me the pickups have gone from 'very-good-but-might-install-something-else' to great. The level of fit and finish, at least on Core and up (that's all I've got experience with) has gone up. The woods have looked as nice to me, though there's more leniency in the '10' marking; there have also been more wood species choices available in Core models through the Wood Library program.

I think the Gen III trem is an advance, especially the PS locking version. I like the recent tuners much better. The two-piece bridge is much, much easier to use than any other bridge I've ever had, and I think on top of that, it adds to the tone of the guitar in a good way.

However, much more important than the pieces-parts is the gestalt of the entire instrument. I love the lean toward vintage instruments. The 594 is a great instrument, period.

But then take the innovative 408 pickups, that are absolutely wonderful, the many switching options, models that have pushed the envelope. I could go on, but you get my drift. I think they've gotten better and better.

Sergio and Les covered it well so I'll try not to regurgitate the same information. I've been a PRS user since my first in early 1990. I try to enjoy other brands from time to time but I end up selling them. PRS Guitars are just amazing. They did have white clouding and fingerboard edge chipping issues in the past but stand behind their products is you are the original owner.

I first checked out PRS in 1988/89 at Sam Ash 48th St. NYC. I was amazed with how the felt and looked. The build quality was 2nd to none. You could beat the tremolo up and the guitar would stay in tune!! No BS Floyd Rose locking nut and special wrenchs needed!!! Sorry Floyd Rose lovers.... I hate them. PRS winged locking tuners were the bomb but they improved them and made them easier to use with the single locking screws, think I'd rather rather have the wings but I'll digress. The black brass infused composite nut, what an innovation. F#@K bone nuts.... really? why bother. Again, I digress. Some of the most innovative models that come to mind are the Cust-24, 513, 408, Paul's, The Special, Modern Eagle V and the newer Studio. The pickup improvements have been amazing! I personally love the 408 TCI's though I do understand they're not everyone's cup of tea. I personally wish the 594 would come with different neck carves, perhaps pattern, pattern thin. I purchased a used PS 594 with pattern thin and just LOVE it. It's one of their biggest selling models but many players don't bond with the pattern vintage carve. Oh.... wish they would do a Santana run with those 1980 West St. Limited pups.

I believe the PRS golden age is now! It started in 1985 (factory guitars) and has been on the incline ever since. All of those big and small improvements and innovations add up to what I and thousands of other guitar players believe to be the greatest production guitars of all time. What a great time to be a guitarist.

Sergio and Les covered it well so I'll try not to regurgitate the same information. I've been a PRS user since my first in early 1990. I try to enjoy other brands from time to time but I end up selling them. PRS Guitars are just amazing. They did have white clouding and fingerboard edge chipping issues in the past but stand behind their products is you are the original owner.

I first checked out PRS in 1988/89 at Sam Ash 48th St. NYC. I was amazed with how the felt and looked. The build quality was 2nd to none. You could beat the tremolo up and the guitar would stay in tune!! No BS Floyd Rose locking nut and special wrenchs needed!!! Sorry Floyd Rose lovers.... I hate them. PRS winged locking tuners were the bomb but they improved them and made them easier to use with the single locking screws, think I'd rather rather have the wings but I'll digress. The black brass infused composite nut, what an innovation. F#@K bone nuts.... really? why bother. Again, I digress. Some of the most innovative models that come to mind are the Cust-24, 513, 408, Paul's, The Special, Modern Eagle V and the newer Studio. The pickup improvements have been amazing! I personally love the 408 TCI's though I do understand they're not everyone's cup of tea. I personally wish the 594 would come with different neck carves, perhaps pattern, pattern thin. I purchased a used PS 594 with pattern thin and just LOVE it. It's one of their biggest selling models but many players don't bond with the pattern vintage carve. Oh.... wish they would do a Santana run with those 1980 West St. Limited pups.

I believe the PRS golden age is now! It started in 1985 (factory guitars) and has been on the incline ever since. All of those big and small improvements and innovations add up to what I and thousands of other guitar players believe to be the greatest production guitars of all time. What a great time to be a guitarist.
I agree with you. I think the best PRS guitars are being made right now.

For one thing, they've figured out how to make great pickups. I don't know what knowledge was missing before but they've found it.

I agree with you. I think the best PRS guitars are being made right now.

For one thing, they've figured out how to make great pickups. I don't know what knowledge was missing before but they've found it.
For the most part their past pups were good, I just adjusted EQ for them but todays pups are amazing. That's what I love about PRS, they never quit trying and making things better.... except the bone nut, so unnecessary when their composite brass infused nuts are so solid and consistent. Just sayin'.

I gave it a decade. But I chose to stop at 2013 because of the S2’s killing the (Core) Mira and Starla and because that’s the year they went all in on the blade switch.

I also personally feel the SE line shifted direction that year too.
I am a fan of the blade switch. My SAS is an 06. That is the year they started the blade switch. I have a 2012 Experience P22 that has a blade switch on it. I also have a 2015 P22 Trem that has the blade switch on it. I like the additional tones that it gives.

This was my 2002 CU22. I traded an Eric Johnson Strat for it ten years ago, then I sold it a couple of weeks ago and bought a '95 CE-22 with original Dragons.

I think this '02 CU22 was originally Whale Blue.

I liked the fading. It kind of accented the flame.

That is definitely Whale Blue. I have a CU24 that color.

I am a fan of the blade switch. My SAS is an 06. That is the year they started the blade switch. I have a 2012 Experience P22 that has a blade switch on it. I also have a 2015 P22 Trem that has the blade switch on it. I like the additional tones that it gives.

That is definitely Whale Blue. I have a CU24 that color.
It's a beautiful color. How about a photo of the CE24?

It's a beautiful color. How about a photo of the CE24?
I am going to have to look into a photo hosting solution. I wonder if I can use Amazon. Since I am a prime member I have that as part of my membership. I used to use photobucket back in the day... The last time I looked at that site they wanted to charge for everything.

I am going to have to look into a photo hosting solution. I wonder if I can use Amazon. Since I am a prime member I have that as part of my membership. I used to use photobucket back in the day... The last time I looked at that site they wanted to charge for everything.
I use Imgur.com

It's free and easy to navigate.

Works well with iPhone.

For the most part their past pups were good, I just adjusted EQ for them but todays pups are amazing. That's what I love about PRS, they never quit trying and making things better.... except the bone nut, so unnecessary when their composite brass infused nuts are so solid and consistent. Just sayin'.
I bought four of those carbon infused nuts from PRS but I haven't decided which guitar I'm going to start with.

Replacing a nut, fitting a new one and then getting the string slots filed just right is a big job!

I think it's at odds with the graceful shape of the body.

But I thinks it makes the guitar sound better and stay in tune better.

I like the large tuner buttons, and like having some extra space between the tuner buttons, which you don't have on a strat.
Exactly! I really do like the PRS headstock, but it just does not seem quite right with the rest of the the guitar looking so strat like.

I haven't ever had a quality issue with any PRS. My #1 is a '92 Custom 24 and it is to this day flawless. I live in an environment where there are 80 degree fluctuations in temperature from winter to summer and the humidity goes from bone dry winters to comfortable summers and the '92 is the one guitar that NEVER needs tweeking! Usually twice a year I have to adjust truss rods on my other guitars when the seasons change, but not the '92. So that is saying something!

My '08 core Mira is a close second, does need some tweeking for the seasons but generally it has been a solid guitar with no quality issues.

And my newest addition, a 2018 SE CU24 is amazing for what I paid! It does need more attention and adjustments, and the knobs and switch don't feel as solid as the USA versions ... but for what it is I can't complain about the quality!

I bought four of those carbon infused nuts from PRS but I haven't decided which guitar I'm going to start with.

Replacing a nut, fitting a new one and then getting the string slots filed just right is a big job!
That's were I draw the line, never attempted a nut replacement and slot filing. I'll that to the pros

FWIW, I bought a couple of Tusq nuts to replace the sticky plastic ones on my 2 SE's. I did file the slots because I have the files and I've done quite a few nuts, but the width was perfect and the slots were about what you'd find on a lot of off the shelf guitars. Didn't take much filing to get them right.

Big job? Easy peasy job with a PRS core nut.

It took me almost 30 years to appreciate the rotary switch. I just didn't get it at first. My 95 and 97 CE22's are stock with Dragon 1 pickups.

What I love is the two slug coils in series sound in the middle of the switch. It creates a ghost middle humbucker sound that's different from the sound you get when two humbuckers are combined. It actually sounds like the guitar has a middle humbucker.
I love that middle sound on the rotary switch. Very different than your typical 2 humbuckers in parallel sound. It took me years to appreciate the rotary as well… more misunderstanding than anything.

Eventually companies lose their soul, typically after the founder and core employees are gone and decisions are made in board rooms etc. I watched this happen to Volvo and other favorites over the years. To have Paul still engaged and actively involved is a treasure. Once upon a time when Leo Fender and Orville Gibson were running their shops I’m sure the culture was different and everything that went out the door was their best - not just their “custom builds“ like today. For my 2 cents, my ‘06 Custom 22 Stop-tail - 20th edition is my fav. Great period. Enjoy the golden years. Buy em all up .

Back