PRS quality: 1980's vs 90's vs 00's vs 10's vs 20's.....

For me 2006 seems to be a year I was drawn to. I know they made one major change, for me anyway, that year and that was the double dot at the 12th fret. For some reason I have collected a decent handful of 2006 models. It wasn't on purpose. It just seemed to happen. It could be that was when I started making enough money to buy PRS guitars and started my journey with them. I always wanted one and my first was a 2006 Custom 22 with McCarty wiring in a Darch Cherry Sunburst finish. I still have the guitar. I was not a huge fan of the pickups and sent it into the PTC when they had the pickup promotion giong and had 57/08s put in it. That transformed the guitar for my tastes.

For me 2006 seems to be a year I was drawn to. I know they made one major change, for me anyway, that year and that was the double dot at the 12th fret. For some reason I have collected a decent handful of 2006 models. It wasn't on purpose. It just seemed to happen. It could be that was when I started making enough money to buy PRS guitars and started my journey with them. I always wanted one and my first was a 2006 Custom 22 with McCarty wiring in a Darch Cherry Sunburst finish. I still have the guitar. I was not a huge fan of the pickups and sent it into the PTC when they had the pickup promotion giong and had 57/08s put in it. That transformed the guitar for my tastes.
Right. It just seems to happen. You find a guitar with a certain combination of ingredients that works, that's made in a certain time period, and you stick with it.

It's not really that guitars from 1995 or 2006 are actually better.

You just find what you like and stick with it.

Right. It just seems to happen. You find a guitar with a certain combination of ingredients that works, that's made in a certain time period, and you stick with it.

It's not really that guitars from 1995 or 2006 are actually better.

You just find what you like and stick with it.
I have plenty of them from years after 2006. I just have more from 2006 than any other year. I would have to look to see if I have duplicates in other years. I honestly don't know that off the top of my head. I may have 2 from 2009. I may also have 2 from 2011 or 2012.

I got my first PRS in 2004. I'd had my eye on them for years, but never had been able to pull the trigger. I'm mostly w/Sergio on the prime years, but I'd shift it a couple years later and extend a year or three. The 513 was a very innovative idea that I don't think ever quite got to all it could be. But that era from about 2007-2016 (just to make it a decade), man, there was something special happening then. The Mira, Starla (still regret missing that one), the DGT, the development in the pickups (yay \m/!!!) among other things - they definitely had a groove on in that time frame. All that said, nothing quite scratched the itch for one of the early models, which I finally got a couple years ago. I know there's a bit of romance attached to the early era (and that's true of most guitar companies, I believe), but there was something unique about those early guitars. I believe Paul when he says he thinks they're making their best guitars now, but those early ones aren't a great distance behind - I think the greatest difference is the pickups.

There has been a little less that's grabbed me the last few years, but I think that's more a reflection of my wants/needs than the product they're putting out. The 594 and Silver Sky models are fabulous, but if you don't have an interest in that direction they won't have the appeal. Hell, I'd have bet that I wouldn't be interested in a Silver Sky, but it blew me away.

I'm mostly w/Sergio on the prime years, but I'd shift it a couple years later and extend a year or three. The 513 was a very innovative idea that I don't think ever quite got to all it could be. But that era from about 2007-2016 (just to make it a decade),

I gave it a decade. But I chose to stop at 2013 because of the S2’s killing the (Core) Mira and Starla and because that’s the year they went all in on the blade switch.

I also personally feel the SE line shifted direction that year too.

Then there’s the issue with the blue colored guitars fading, there’s a perfect example on Reverb right now. But for the most part they have been great and consistent guitars throughout the decades.
Here's the thing:

Organic dyes are photosensitive. Inorganic dyes are not transparent, so they have to use organic dyes, which come from plants mostly. The chemicals in the dye react to light. This is especially so with certain shades of blue.

There's no way around this, it's been the case forever, and it isn't a defect.

This is why from the very beginning PRS has stated the warranty doesn't cover fading. If people don't want to see fading, case the guitars when not in use. I've never had a blue one fade (though it's not why I case them).

As to the finish issues, all the poly finishes had them occasionally through the years. I had one long before V12 where the edge of the fretboard flaked. PRS took care of it, and it was one of my best-ever, long term guitars.

As with any finish, one can argue pros and cons, but for me, the nitro finished guitars have sounded better; my first nitro finish PRS electric was 2014. I find it makes a difference, and am awfully glad PRS switched to it.

However, the important thing is, while the guitars are beautiful to be sure, their purpose is 'musical instrument'. At that task, they've gotten better and better, at least for me. Call me a homer if you must! ;)

Last edited:
Here's the thing:

Organic dyes are photosensitive. Inorganic dyes are not transparent, so they have to use organic dyes, which come from plants mostly. The chemicals in the dye react to light. This is especially so with certain shades of blue.

There's no way around this, it's been the case forever, and it isn't a defect.

This is why from the very beginning PRS has stated the warranty doesn't cover fading. If people don't want to see fading, case the guitars when not in use. I've never had a blue one fade (though it's not why I case them).

As to the finish issues, all the poly finishes had them occasionally through the years. I had one long before V12 where the edge of the fretboard flaked. PRS took care of it, and it was one of my best-ever, long term guitars.

As with any finish, one can argue pros and cons, but for me, the nitro finished guitars have sounded better; my first nitro finish PRS electric was 2014. I find it makes a difference, and am awfully glad PRS switched to it.

However, the important thing is, while the guitars are beautiful to be sure, their purpose is 'musical instrument'. At that task, they've gotten better and better, at least for me. Call me a homer if you must! ;)

I agree. The fading thing is normal for guitars 20 years old or older.

Most '57, '58, '59 and '60 Les Pauls started off bright cherry sunburst.

Now they've all faded to being honeybursts and amberbursts and faded sunbursts.

I agree. The fading thing is normal for guitars 20 years old or older.

Most '57, '58, '59 and '60 Les Pauls started off bright cherry sunburst.

Now they've all faded to being honeybursts and amberbursts and faded sunbursts.
Yup. In the case of some of the blue finishes, hang one on a wall in a room that gets a lot of light, and it'll fade a lot faster.

Yup. In the case of some of the blue finishes, hang one on a wall in a room that gets a lot of light, and it'll fade a lot faster.
This was my 2002 CU22. I traded an Eric Johnson Strat for it ten years ago, then I sold it a couple of weeks ago and bought a '95 CE-22 with original Dragons.

I think this '02 CU22 was originally Whale Blue.

I liked the fading. It kind of accented the flame.

Back