PRS quality: 1980's vs 90's vs 00's vs 10's vs 20's.....

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Every guitar company I can think of seems to have great years and not so good years.

I haven't noticed any decline with PRS. If anything, they seem be more consistent than ever.

Do you have a favorite time period for PRS and if so why?

I kind of like them from the 90's. I like the neck shape and the overall vibe.

Last edited:
I agree that there haven't been significant ups and downs in PRS quality, but there have been leaps in technology that have made the guitars better over time. I think the most obvious improvements have been made in pickups, but that doesn't make the classic guitars inferior. Once one's favorite pickups have been installed, they complete with the modern versions pretty well.

I like the 2000 - 2010's because that was when I first found PRS and got my Cu24AP. The 90's are also fun to play around in for the used market. I haven't been pursuing the latest generation because I've got most of my musical pallet covered.

There's definitely no dead spots in PRS production years - I guess that's what happens when the guy who started the company is still running things 38 years later and is forward-looking and committed to continuous improvement. There is no Norlin-era or pre-CBS era syndrome at PRS, no over-valuing of instruments from specific years (exception made for the early customs, but low serial numbers always do that for any brand). That being said, since I mainly play CE's, I have a preference for the older models with the body carve similar to the Customs. Also, the older models have not increased in value and generally can be found for better prices than the newer production models. My most recent PRS is from 1997, which is mostly by luck and circumstance, but I rarely see newer models go for the prices I paid for the older ones. Says a lot about the quality levels and features of current production models.

The quality has always been there, but it has incrementally improved over time.

I still get excited when seeing and playing stuff from the Annapolis era. The softer lines of the duplicarved tops, the color palate, generally “better” tops on production guitars, and the hardware choices, etc.

But there’s no denying how “perfect” or “exact” the new guitars are, they’re put together immaculately, and their wood drying process has resulted in some hella resonant examples more often.

But.. my favorite period of PRS is becoming from around 2003-2013. Sure, V12 falling off sucks (as does blushing/clouding, but that’s been happening forever) but it’s the designs from that period that really get me excited.

It was such an innovative time for the company and perhaps it was out of desperation, but they were f@cking hungry then.

The Modern Eagle, Mira, Starla, West Street Limited, DGT, the KL line, Ted, 57/08’s, 59/09’s, 53/10’s, NF’s, etc. etc. It was a great time for new models and new “technology”.

Selfishly, as a customer, I wouldn’t mind seeing PRS struggle again for a minute. The new barrage of 594’s and SS’s are exceptionally well made, but boring AF for me.

I still get excited when seeing and playing stuff from the Annapolis era. The softer lines of the duplicarved tops, the color palate, generally “better” tops on production guitars, and the hardware choices, etc.

But there’s no denying how “perfect” or “exact” the new guitars are, they’re put together immaculately, and their wood drying process has resulted in some hella resonant examples more often.

But.. my favorite period of PRS is becoming from around 2003-2013. Sure, V12 falling off sucks (as does blushing/clouding, but that’s been happening forever) but it’s the designs from that period that really get me excited.

It was such an innovative time for the company and perhaps it was out of desperation, but they were f@cking hungry then.

The Modern Eagle, Mira, Starla, West Street Limited, DGT, the KL line, Ted, 57/08’s, 59/09’s, 53/10’s, NF’s, etc. etc. It was a great time for new models and new “technology”.

Selfishly, as a customer, I wouldn’t mind seeing PRS struggle again for a minute. The new barrage of 594’s and SS’s are exceptionally well made, but boring AF for me.
The Vela Semi-Hollow and the DGT SE have me interested, but neither are available locally right now.

I think @Permanent Waves hit it on the head with his comment about Paul and his continued hands on nature in running this company. Without it, I find it hard to believe the company would have remained what it is. The best thing I ever heard Paul say in an interview was his answer to what he would do if he was stranded on an island for the rest of his life (or something to that effect). He said he would like to take every guitar he has ever built and update it to the best and newest technology available. I think that pretty much says it all when it comes to what he is after, perfection, even perfecting the past! Long live the PRS!!!

Been playing them since 1991, and have averaged one new one a year, which seems like a decent sample size over a range of years.

For me, PRS' achievements in tone and playability were incremental until around 2008, and then accelerated tremendously, a trend that continues. The introduction of the nitro finishes on standard models has taken things a step further.

Everyone's got their preferences, but for me the pickups have gone from 'very-good-but-might-install-something-else' to great. The level of fit and finish, at least on Core and up (that's all I've got experience with) has gone up. The woods have looked as nice to me, though there's more leniency in the '10' marking; there have also been more wood species choices available in Core models through the Wood Library program.

I think the Gen III trem is an advance, especially the PS locking version. I like the recent tuners much better. The two-piece bridge is much, much easier to use than any other bridge I've ever had, and I think on top of that, it adds to the tone of the guitar in a good way.

However, much more important than the pieces-parts is the gestalt of the entire instrument. I love the lean toward vintage instruments. The 594 is a great instrument, period.

But then take the innovative 408 pickups, that are absolutely wonderful, the many switching options, models that have pushed the envelope. I could go on, but you get my drift. I think they've gotten better and better.

Last edited:
I love PRS guitars as much as anyone else on this forum but you guys are letting your love for them blind your memory. There was a period where they were having issues with their finishes which prompted them to change their finishing system. Then there’s the issue with the blue colored guitars fading, there’s a perfect example on Reverb right now. But for the most part they have been great and consistent guitars throughout the decades.

What finishes were they using in the 90's? I've been looking at a '96 Standard clear finished all mahogany. Has a few dings. I've had good luck fixing dings on my SE's with superglue, so I'm just wondering if they were using the same poly finishes on the core models.

THIS!! I had tried various PRS' from '91-''98 into the early '00s. They were okay, but with such a "proprietary" as PRS, I didn't feel inclined to spend the money they cost and feel the need to change the pickups. If PRS was going to keep me as a customer they'd have to do a guitar that delivered without need for modification.

The period @sergiodeblanc refers to above is the apex for the brand, as far as I'm concerned. Any PRS any of the 5x/xx pickups will please me. The original 408 pickups were innovative AND awesome sounding. The guitars built to showcase these pickups are unreal. Definitely made me go from. "PRS is 'meh' to...PRS is all I want to play ever again!!"

Sadly, since the introduction of the TCI pickups the guitars don't speak to me. I don't care for nitro finshes, either. Howrver, I was a huge fan of the 594 before the changes to the tuning pegs and the TCI pickups.

Oh well. There's always the used market....

I’ve got great examples from all 4 decades from the 90s forward, and the consistency is unquestionable. I’d like a original 80s model, but haven’t found a deal on one at the right time yet. I’m sure it’ll verify the quality continuum.

One thing I’ve noticed is how much I tend to like models that didn’t survive in the market. I don’t think that’s just me… it appears that sometimes Paul designs excellent guitars that the market just doesn’t grasp at the time, but come to appreciate later.

I liked the 90s guitars enough that once I had the bases covered I skipped a decade. I didn’t need anything better or even different.

Then Experience seduced me into trying what they had become and damn if they weren’t mighty fine. So I got some between 2009 and Sergio’s 2013. Nothing since has compelled me to believe I might be missing out.

I don’t think they have had a bad era. I do think the best value, at least in my currency, was in the years after the 2008 financial meltdown.

I like the 2000 - 2010's because that was when I first found PRS and got my Cu24AP. The 90's are also fun to play around in for the used market. I haven't been pursuing the latest generation because I've got most of my musical pallet covered.
My choice as well, simply because of two of my all-time favorite guitars coming from that era: My Santana Brazilian Ltd., and my '06 Cu24 AP.

This is how I see things, too. There was so much innovation and change happening then. Not just in big things, but in small runs of unique wood. There was amazing creativity in production guitars. Amps were unique.

I look at something like a 513, and I try to imagine the hopes behind it. To me, it feels like an attempt to reimagine PRS’s mainline guitar for the gigging player. Perhaps there was a little hope that it would supplant the Customs as the bread and butter guitar for PRS.

So much of what was being introduced seemed like an attempt to move away from traditional formulas, which can be seen in the company’s roots. Now things have swung back the other way, with a decade-long run towards the conventional. The marketplace rejection of all of that innovation and creativity had to be painful. Perhaps the embrace of the conventional has been painful, too. Not likely to profits, but perhaps quietly to pride. I doubt that the salesman in Paul will ever allow himself to really talk about it, other than the old line about making what sells.

Back