PRS Pups in other guitar

aitikin

Hey all, first post here, I figured this would likely be the best category for this thread. I've got a Wechter Solidbody guitar that I got a little while back and wanted to improve the tone a bit. This guitar came stock with the SD Triple Shot mounting ring. I was thinking of picking up some PRS pickups to put in there, but I've read where the Triple Shot is designed for pickups with 4-conductor wire and, from my understanding, the PRS pups typically have 3 conductor. Question one for the gurus here is, "Is there a proper way to manage to do this with PRS pups or am I SoL?"

Question two, pending the result of question one, (this is opinion, I know, but I'd like to hear the "local" take) is "Do I go for HFS Treble and Vintage Bass or 5909s?"

I put the Triple Shots in a Schecter with a pair of DiMarzio D-Activators, and frankly, the results were underwhelming. The DiMarzios were 4-conductor, and the installation of the Triple Shots was a breeze. But to be honest, I don't notice much difference in sound or tone, just a drop in volume. I'm actually gonna re-do the guitar and ditch the Triple Shots. I don't know how you'd do it with two-conductor pickups though. Hopefully someone with a little more experience than me can chime in. :)

Well the Triple Shot was preinstalled on the Wechter and, frankly, does a whole lot for that guitar. I'm sure I can get way better tone out of the PRS pups than the Wechter pups though, which is why I'm looking to go that way.

Back