PRS PS Fanned fret.... why?

you know what, it might look a bit odd to you guys because you are used to seeing that traditional shape with regular uniform scale.

I was watching this the other day, because I love Cynic, but when you see modern headless guitars especially, the fan frets don't look out of place at all. I'd love to try one

Although I suppose a lot of people find headless guitars hideous too

The first Cynic record, Focus, is the stuff of legend. I remember listening to that in late 93 and being absolutely melted by what I heard.

I’m trying to figure out how you paint that. :confused: It would be hard enough to keep between the lines, but how do you prevent bleed over, especially since spalt and burl are so porous?

If you tell me, are you going to have to kill me? :eek:

I can tell you, but Paul Miles will be the one who kills you. And he's way scarier than I am.

I’m trying to figure out how you paint that. :confused: It would be hard enough to keep between the lines, but how do you prevent bleed over, especially since spalt and burl are so porous?

If you tell me, are you going to have to kill me? :eek:

Spalted woods are almost always resin impregnated. It's more like working with plastic than wood :)

Spalted woods are almost always resin impregnated. It's more like working with plastic than wood :)

Yep. I’ve done it myself with West Marine Resin. I’d still expect some bleed over.
A while ago I asked Paul Miles if they resin-impregnated their spalted maple, and he said no, but maybe they do for this process now. I’m guessing that if the spalting is punky enough to require resin, they generally don’t use it. The pieces that I’ve seen in the vault in the past were pretty solid.
Finally, a resin filled body will also affect its tone.

Last edited:
Yes, or just check out our website or Instagram as they will go up there first.

Here is the second Multi Scale of the series. Custom 24 Double Semi-Hollow! Super light weight with 85/15 "Low Turn" pickups for added warmth - my new favorite pickup, and PS only!
18255886_172_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Flippin' beautiful!

The first Cynic record, Focus, is the stuff of legend. I remember listening to that in late 93 and being absolutely melted by what I heard.
Definitely man. Although personally traced in air was my face melter. And i loved kindly bent to free us. What a great band

I'm not saying fan fret SE models would be awesome and sell like hot cakes

But fan fret SE models would be awesome and sell like hot cakes

If you paid for the R+D i wonder what would be involved in a lower cost limited SE run with your design...

Yes, or just check out our website or Instagram as they will go up there first.

Here is the second Multi Scale of the series. Custom 24 Double Semi-Hollow! Super light weight with 85/15 "Low Turn" pickups for added warmth - my new favorite pickup, and PS only!
18255886_172_1024x1024@2x.jpg
OMG!!!

First off it looks more like it was hit with a dragon's droppings to me:rolleyes:, but the 7 string and the HB look sweet.

Secondly, those frets don't look too "fanned" to me.

Back in the 90's after Acid Jazz made a short splash in the music world is when I started to get immersed in (traditional) Jazz and was joining open jams with the local bay area cats. I was fortunate enough to sit in (and get brought down to earth:oops:) with some players that now are established Jazz recording artists, like Vijay Iyer, Dave Ellis, and Charlie Hunter. His axe might be longer to accommodate the bass strings so maybe that's why, but the difference is really stark to me, and that PS looks only slightly fanned.

mpmxNmX.jpg

I only met & jammed with him once and didn't have time to ask him about his axe, I was too busy trying not to sound like dragon droppings playing Wayne Shorter's "Footprints".:confused:
CHARLIE HUNTER IS A GOD ON THE FANNED BASS/GUITAR.

CHARLIE HUNTER IS A GOD ON THE FANNED BASS/GUITAR.
Yea, it was a trip doing that jam session without a standup bass player for most of the songs.
He has uber coordination to do what he does(bass, chords,improv), seemed like a nice guy, the piano player Vijay Iyer was even nicer and gave me some great tips on being a better jazz cat.
It was a good time for jazz in the bay area, too bad it didn't last long cause all those cats had to go to NY to make it big.

Yea, it was a trip doing that jam session without a standup bass player for most of the songs.
He has uber coordination to do what he does(bass, chords,improv), seemed like a nice guy, the piano player Vijay Iyer was even nicer and gave me some great tips on being a better jazz cat.
It was a good time for jazz in the bay area, too bad it didn't last long cause all those cats had to go to NY to make it big.
Charlie was influential in setting up a meeting be
Yoshis is our only hope.

Fanned frets look pretty tame to the ones that take weird, jagged turns. I don’t even know what those are called.

Back