PRS PS Fanned fret.... why?

A Toneking’s private tour of PRS, conducted by Jack Higginbotham (Exp 18), shows a couple of fan fret PS under construction!

I think it’s episode 4 on you tube.

I was looking on Reverb tonight and I saw a Fanned fret private stock. I was curious to what the advantages were with that type of set up, why? Here’s the link: https://reverb.com/item/13851443-paul-reed-smith-private-stock-fanned-fret-6-string-spalted-maple

Hi guys! I designed the guitar from the ground up - Ish Guitars has exclusivity to 6 string multi-scale PRS's as I paid $7000+ to have the R&D done. Our first run is 6 guitars in various configurations, I just ordered 2 or 3 more...

Ask me anything :)

Will they all go up on reverb?

Yes, or just check out our website or Instagram as they will go up there first.

Here is the second Multi Scale of the series. Custom 24 Double Semi-Hollow! Super light weight with 85/15 "Low Turn" pickups for added warmth - my new favorite pickup, and PS only!
18255886_172_1024x1024@2x.jpg

The finish looks like a map from Game of Thrones

First off it looks more like it was hit with a dragon's droppings to me:rolleyes:, but the 7 string and the HB look sweet.

Secondly, those frets don't look too "fanned" to me.

Back in the 90's after Acid Jazz made a short splash in the music world is when I started to get immersed in (traditional) Jazz and was joining open jams with the local bay area cats. I was fortunate enough to sit in (and get brought down to earth:oops:) with some players that now are established Jazz recording artists, like Vijay Iyer, Dave Ellis, and Charlie Hunter. His axe might be longer to accommodate the bass strings so maybe that's why, but the difference is really stark to me, and that PS looks only slightly fanned.

mpmxNmX.jpg

I only met & jammed with him once and didn't have time to ask him about his axe, I was too busy trying not to sound like dragon droppings playing Wayne Shorter's "Footprints".:confused:

Yes, or just check out our website or Instagram as they will go up there first.

Here is the second Multi Scale of the series. Custom 24 Double Semi-Hollow! Super light weight with 85/15 "Low Turn" pickups for added warmth - my new favorite pickup, and PS only!
18255886_172_1024x1024@2x.jpg

OMG, Why did you have to show me that? !!!!! Freakin beautiful!!

Played fanned frets on a bass, and it was really cool...took some getting used too, changing positions and all...
but the longer scale on the lower strings (Low B and E) I think made a difference in string tension, and tone.

First off it looks more like it was hit with a dragon's droppings to me:rolleyes:, but the 7 string and the HB look sweet.

Secondly, those frets don't look too "fanned" to me.

We have plenty of others coming that will tickle your fancy ;)

The frets are not fanned much on purpose. A PRS is a "best of both worlds" guitar, combining a LP and a Strat. So, I picked 25.5" scale (like a Strat) on the bass side for nice chimey Strat-like chording, and 24.75" (usual LP-style Scale length) on the treble side to have that awesome Les Paul lead guitar feel up top. Also, 99% of the world isn't tuning to some crazy low C drop tuning, so most of us don't need a huge 27" scale on the bottom.

Another benefit of the small fan is that those who have played these guitars and the prototype guitar all said they did not need to "get used to" the change in the frets - which is exactly what the goal was - better intonation, tone, and balance, but without having to re-learn how to play guitar :)

We have plenty of others coming that will tickle your fancy ;)

The frets are not fanned much on purpose. A PRS is a "best of both worlds" guitar, combining a LP and a Strat. So, I picked 25.5" scale (like a Strat) on the bass side for nice chimey Strat-like chording, and 24.75" (usual LP-style Scale length) on the treble side to have that awesome Les Paul lead guitar feel up top. Also, 99% of the world isn't tuning to some crazy low C drop tuning, so most of us don't need a huge 27" scale on the bottom.

Just on your website, I'll have to stop in when I head up to Pulaski Steelhead fishing this fall. You have a lot of nice instruments.

Just on your website, I'll have to stop in when I head up to Pulaski Steelhead fishing this fall. You have a lot of nice instruments.

Thanks!! Love Pulaski - let me know if you bump into Stuart Spector (the bass builder), he is a big fisherman too - we have his #10/10 40th Anniversary bass in stock right now with Atlantic Salmon inlaid on it. Its very Upstate NY, lol!

Another benefit of the small fan is that those who have played these guitars and the prototype guitar all said they did not need to "get used to" the change in the frets - which is exactly what the goal was - better intonation, tone, and balance, but without having to re-learn how to play guitar :)

That makes sense cause Charlie played in a very unique way, along with playing the bass at the same time, but on his melodic & improv playing his left hand was all over the place. Looking at those necks I agree, I can see that I'd at least be able to adapt and make something halfway listenable out of them. I think I'd be lost on Charlie's type of instrument.

I still think the bass strings in design of the Novax plays a role in the fan it too.

Thanks!! Love Pulaski - let me know if you bump into Stuart Spector (the bass builder), he is a big fisherman too - we have his #10/10 40th Anniversary bass in stock right now with Atlantic Salmon inlaid on it. Its very Upstate NY, lol!

Heard of him, never met him yet, I've been going up there since the late 80's. Gonna check out that bass. :D

Back