PRS Prototype Guitars

Hi,

Can anyone enlighten me about Prototypes? I have a 305 Prototype very similar to the one mentioned above, just a different body colour and it is a great guitar. I am selling it now and a prospective buyer is querying the fact that there is no certificate or hang tag. I thought nothing of this when I bought it as I assumed that was just because it was a Prototype and not yet a production model.

Is this unusual at all or not? I bought the guitar from an authorised dealer and there is definitely no doubt about the legitimacy of the guitar. It certainly stands up against any Private Stock guitar for woods and build quality.

Any info anyone can share would be helpful. I'm going to email PRS as I guess that they should be able to ID the guitar from the serial number.

Yeah, they're not sold as collectibles, they're just sold. Usually not even as new -- since they're not. You just have to be sufficiently familiar with the model to know what -- if any -- differences it has to the production model. It's perfectly normal not to have a hang tag.

Since this thread was revived... I also have the HBII Singlecut Center Block proto. It was the one used in all of the promotional shots too... sales advertisements and such.

Here is a pic I took, and a pic with Howie Leese holding it after doing a demo with it at the Experience when it was released as a new model. BTW... like with my 305 proto, no hang tag, no CA, etc... just a crap load of mojo!

SCHBII-2.jpg~original

HowardSCHBII.jpg~original

Hi. I bought my Mira MT prototype new from Wild West Guitars. It came with a letter from PRS verifying it's authenticity as a prototype.

That's interesting, thanks Charlie. I have PM'd another member who has the same 305 Prototype as me, just a different colour, and he didn't get any papers or hangtags with his either. I guess with Prototypes, it may well vary anyway.

Back