PRS problems ...

Aaron Robinson

Help. New Standard 24 satin S2. Won't stay in tune. I've widened the nut slots. Lubed them. I've stretched the strings. I've resetup the bridge and everything. Still won't stay in tune. I'm about to block it or throw it in the garbage. Is there no hope short of a proper US bridge??? Please don't tell me that.

Brand spanking new strings sometimes need 3 or more tunings before they start to stay in tune, that includes stretching. If they don't, replace with another new set. Do not throw the guitar away. Are you still on stock strings or have they been changed out?

The only time I have had a tuning issue with any of my S2s is when I don't tighten the lock screw on the tuner tight enough. I usually use a penny to tweak the lock screw an extra quarter turn after I get it finger tight. Are you trying to wrap a lot of string around the post?

How much are your strings wrapping around the posts? It should be just less than a full turn. Skitchy explained to me (or maybe in a video) that wrapping the string so that it touches itself around the post will cause major tuning issues.

If it were me, I'd take it / send it to the person or company I bought it from and ask them to do a full setup. If that didn't work, I'd get in touch with the PTC, they'd absolutely getting it playing like it should.

I'm confident in my ability to setup my own guitars, but if it's new, I'm not going to mess with it too much. It sucks being without a guitar for a bit, but I just feel that having to do a bunch of setting up on a new guitar is not in my best interest.

Of course, returning it is also an option and getting another one like it.

Hope you get it sorted out.

If it were me, I'd take it / send it to the person or company I bought it from and ask them to do a full setup. If that didn't work, I'd get in touch with the PTC, they'd absolutely getting it playing like it should.

I'm confident in my ability to setup my own guitars, but if it's new, I'm not going to mess with it too much. It sucks being without a guitar for a bit, but I just feel that having to do a bunch of setting up on a new guitar is not in my best interest.

Of course, returning it is also an option and getting another one like it.

Hope you get it sorted out.
the thing is it plays and sounds so nice, i dont want to send it back. i may have to send it to PTC. just dont wanna go through that hassle if i dont have to.

the thing is it plays and sounds so nice, i dont want to send it back. i may have to send it to PTC. just dont wanna go through that hassle if i dont have to.

Gotcha...

It sounds like you've done about as much as you can, to me. Widening the nut slots is a bit further than I, personally, would go on a new guitar. Although, checking the string height at the bridge might be something to look at. I know that if the breakaway angle at the saddle is off, it can cause tuning issues. Usually adjusting that means making incremental adjustments to the truss rod as well. That's why, if it's a new guitar, I would send it to the dealer or PTC.

If you'd like to keep trying to fix it, I'd say email the PTC at least and see if they have any ideas for you. If you run down the list of remedies and nothing works, I'm positive they'll find a way to get you taken care of.

Good luck!!!

Oh, and if you've got pics, we'd all like to see it!

img_20181126_175506-jpg.103360

As you can see, we're more than willing to help. Even after the "throw it in the garbage" remark. o_O

One problem always is, when a new guy comes to the forum, nobody has any idea how much knowledge or experience they have with this stuff. So don't be insulted if you've been playing for 25 years and people suggest the most basic things. But, these guitars work well for tons of users, so there is a solution and it's probably a routine one.

Pic link went to a "error" on the Gretch forum. ???

Anyway, make sure the bridge is level. Sometimes if they are leaning up or down they have much more trouble keeping in tune.

“Might” be the ball ends getting stuck in the block. When you changed strings did you notice any friction or strings getting caught?

As you can see, we're more than willing to help. Even after the "throw it in the garbage" remark. o_O

One problem always is, when a new guy comes to the forum, nobody has any idea how much knowledge or experience they have with this stuff. So don't be insulted if you've been playing for 25 years and people suggest the most basic things. But, these guitars work well for tons of users, so there is a solution and it's probably a routine one.

Pic link went to a "error" on the Gretch forum. ???

Anyway, make sure the bridge is level. Sometimes if they are leaning up or down they have much more trouble keeping in tune.
no offense taken! bridge is level. but i did have to lower the bridge because it was a bit high. i lowered the outer two first then the inner screws. maybe i messed it up?

there are a few wraps around the tuners, and there was no friction when putting strings in.

no offense taken! bridge is level. but i did have to lower the bridge because it was a bit high. i lowered the outer two first then the inner screws. maybe i messed it up?

there are a few wraps around the tuners, and there was no friction when putting strings in.

Saddle screws or knife edge trem screws?

As for the wraps, you don't want any. Best thing to do is pull the string through (taught), tighten the locking screw and snip the string. You don't want more than half a turn of sting on the post.

As for the wraps, you don't want any. Best thing to do is pull the string through (taught), tighten the locking screw and snip the string. You don't want more than half a turn of sting on the post.
Knife edge screws. And okay! I'll try that. If it doesn't work, the trem is getting decked .

Knife edge screws. And okay! I'll try that. If it doesn't work, the trem is getting decked .

You'll want to be careful with the trem screws. They can get damaged pretty easily. Especially if they were adjusted under tension. Here's a good video on how to set it up from the Mann that invented it! If you want to go lower, you absolutely can. Just use something else as a gauge.

This. And a couple tricks... I fold a piece of paper or paper towel, something soft, to put under the bridge to hold it up while you're restringing. I actually lean it towards the head. Then, turn all the tuners to where the hole through them faces the body. Pull the string taught with needle nose players. Finger tight, plus 1/4 turn with a coin. Please don't use a screwdriver. The only mark on my C24 is where I used a screwdriver to tighten, and of course it slipped!).

After you get all 6 strings on, take the paper out from under the bridge and do your string stretching ritual. Stretch them good. Then fine tune the bridge level again.

You should never have "turns" on the string post, as you normally would with non-locking tuners. If you string the way I described, you can stretch, tune to pitch and still have them with half turn or less worth of string on the post. This is critical IMHO to tuning stability with these guitars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back