PRS... PLEASE SAY HE IS A NEW SIGNATURE ARTIST!!!

For example one reason: resale value. Many people do care if the guitar is "signature" model or not. Many don't. John Mayer fans might like to have JM sig, but someone who dislikes his music might not even if the specs were nice. I would imagine that generally it is easier to resell non-signature guitars. I might be wrong - wouldn't be the first time.
I would tell that person to get some common sense. Seriously, if there is a guitar that you would otherwise like, but opt to not purchase the guitar because it has a specific person's name on it, I would call them a moron. Plain and simple. Regardless of whose name is on it, the guitar doesn't change.

There are some artists that insist on having an entry level version of their guitar -- Grohl doesn't have a PRS sig, but if he did, I suspect he would insist on having an entry level version, considering his view of pawn shop guitars (good) and people like me who chase tone through gear but should concentrate on practicing more (bad).

Doesn't he have that $4000 blue signature guitar that he "appropriated" from that actor in "The Dirty Dozen"? :D

I would tell that person to get some common sense. Seriously, if there is a guitar that you would otherwise like, but opt to not purchase the guitar because it has a specific person's name on it, I would call them a moron. Plain and simple. Regardless of whose name is on it, the guitar doesn't change.

Do you think that after you inform that person that he should get some commom sense (and that he is a moron) that the person will suddenly change his mind and will buy that signature guitar that you are trying to sell?

I guess I just don't get the aversion to the endorser's name. It's one thing if the name is garish or prominent, but that's not the case with most guitars I can think of, and definitely not w/the PRSi. I don't see why anyone who liked the specs of the DGT, for example, would say "If it wasn't called a Grissom, I'd be all over it." When you get down to it, every PRS - and every Les Paul - carries an artist's name on it (which was noted previously in the thread). I guess I'd understand more if the top had an arrow pointing up and inlays that said THIS DUDE (arrow) REALLY LOVES TREMONTI.

Now, that said, I can understand a bit more if a particular guitar is singly identified with an artist - I'm thinking something like a Fender SRV with the big initials on the front, or perhaps the EVH stripe series. But even if you hated Angus Young, would you not buy a good SG because it looked just like his and somebody walked past while you were trying it out and said, "Ooh - getting your AC/DC on?"

I guess I just don't get the aversion to the endorser's name.

It's nice to see that you all are so open. I wish we all would be like that. Just out of curiosity, before I bought my ZM signature PRS (see, I'm quite open too) I read some reviews of the model. On the very first review was written as a conclusion: "Pros: Excellent sounds and breathtaking looks. Cons:
Signature-model stigma might limit the audience for this versatile instrument.". It just might be that I'm not the first person to think of this.

Well, whatever, I will buy what I want and you all can buy what you want. There are plenty of models available for all of us. If I would be playing same guitars what my favorite artist use (and whose guitar sound I love), I would be playing teles and strats with single coils with Matchless style EL84 amps. Instead, I use a couple of PRS guitars with humbuckers and Fender style 6V6 amps.

Doesn't he have that $4000 blue signature guitar that he "appropriated" from that actor in "The Dirty Dozen"? :D
I did not know that. He does have some really nice stuff (see: the desk from Sound City), but that's not necessarily hypocritical, since he's specifically talking about someone who's starting out and can't necessarily afford stuff like he has.

I'm not saying he wouldn't also have a core, just like Santana does.

Wow I can't believe the turns this thread has taken. John Mayer and Joe Bonamassa are hands down the two best (non shred/hardrock/metal) guitarists under 40 in the game today PERIOD. Can't we all just appreciate the fact that PRS will (at least now) be associated with a truly great artist who is still making records? As for the guitar specific points, that is truly a hideous guitar. I am a huge John Mayer fan, but I was hoping that he would (and he still might in the future) use his new connection to PRS to create a strat killer the way the SC 245 and SC 250 models have completely killed the Les Paul (from a function/looks/and playability perspective). His current Frakenstein with 100 switches model does at least give me hope that he is clearly VERY involved with the function and tonal range of his guitar, and is not just slapping his name on what is basically already a production model (see 90% of all signature models ever).

You are right but there is a difference between the two artists in your example. Bonamassa has been a collector, player and avid sponsor of the Gibson Les Paul line for years. I give the guy a lot of credit because he has revived the Les Paul line and brings a lot of vision to the line. Mayer on the other hand has been playing stratoasters for years, tours with about 25 different stratocaster guitars and has a recent Fender signature model. I just don't see the connection yet based on one video and a few prototype pictures which is why it weird that they would give him a signature model.

You are right but there is a difference between the two artists in your example. Bonamassa has been a collector, player and avid sponsor of the Gibson Les Paul line for years. I give the guy a lot of credit because he has revived the Les Paul line and brings a lot of vision to the line. Mayer on the other hand has been playing stratoasters for years, tours with about 25 different stratocaster guitars and has a recent Fender signature model. I just don't see the connection yet based on one video and a few prototype pictures which is why it weird that they would give him a signature model.

Everyone sees the light eventually. ;-)

Everyone sees the light eventually. ;-)
Not to mention, he has had a few PRS in the stable for the past few years. In the beginning, I would definitely call Mayer strictly a strat player. But in recent years, he's been seen playing a bit of everything. And I think that was where his problems with Fender started.

Could be. I think they did give Clapton a bit of crap when he started playing the Cream ES3X5 in public. I think he told them to suck it up and build me a new line of amps, a custom shop signature and a Blackie replica.

Funny, Gibson gave me crap when I switched to PRS in '91, too.

"I'm switching to PRS," I told them. "Suck it up and build me a new line of amps."

"You are nobody, and we don't really care. No amps for you!"

I mean, the nerve of these people trying to pressure me into playing their guitars that way!

And Taylor and Katy!!:adore::adore::adore:

That's a hero in my book!!

Don't forget the Jens (Love Hewitt and Aniston). Maybe that's why he closed his lifelong love of the blues and put out poppy music. Chicks dig it!

and for the record, I am a fan of his guitar playing.

Don't forget the Jens (Love Hewitt and Aniston). Maybe that's why he closed his lifelong love of the blues and put out poppy music. Chicks dig it!

It's well known that having hands-on experience with beautiful women improves one's technique. On guitar, of course. ;)

Yeah but did Mayer marry an Ohio State cheer leader, an italian super model, and an ex-beatle's wife? I don't know, could be close but Aniston may be the tie breaker.

I don't mind his playing either but there are so many players I like better. I also likened guns such as Bonamassa but sometimes he gets a bit repetitive.

and Minca Kelly...let's not forget her too....damn, JM...GOD DAMN

Back