PRS... PLEASE SAY HE IS A NEW SIGNATURE ARTIST!!!

John Mayer endorses PRS. He's on the artist roster on the website. He is not exclusive in any way and I dont think would align himself with a signature mode, but he's always like his HB and now sounds like he got a new CU22 to play with. Im sure we'll see him sling one for a song or two next tour.

So now we know he has a new CU22 and now this NF3

CD94eu6UEAAKTJv.jpg

Last edited:
There's already vids out there of him playing PRS. I have nothing against Jackson Guitars, I have one in fact but a Pink FR equipped Jackson just doesn't say JM ? I could see why he would have used it a a music awards show in Pink to stick it up Fender. Though I think Strats will always be in his guitar rotation. His playing and music is the reason why I have Strats and a Cabronita.

FMIC acquired Jackson in the early 2000's, right around when Dave Mustaine was angry he couldn't buy the company (Akai wouldn't work with him, allegedly). Dave switched to ESP (then dean...yuck) and Jackson switched from Akai to FMIC. The acquisition did some alright things for Jackson, but also some not so alright things for them. The best things? Strat head Charvels were available again.
The worst thing? Prices jumped tremendously. I own 2 USA Jackson SL2H (one SL2H and one SL2H MAH) that I bought prior to Fender buying the company, both can be sold for substantially more than I paid new. One of my best investments lol. My retirement didn't do that well.

I think we can say it is officially on now! Why would he say prototype if he wasn't hinting at a signature model arriving shortly after? My only question now is has anyone seen prototypes 1 and 2?

73dr2e.jpg
[/IMG]

Was this prototype #2? If so, still looking for #1. I would love to get some insider pics from the Private Stock crew :) As well as some insight to all them fancy switches...

euleoo.jpg
[/IMG]

He had a blue PS with celtic inlays and simpler controls on stage with Phil Lesh, perhaps that was #1?

I've never understood guys who are so hooked into a guitar because someone they like plays it, or the distress they feel when that person decides something else may be better for them.

Regarding Mayer's new PRS, the 70's me is "hell yeah!"-ing over all those switches. I need to know and hear what they do!:)

Last edited:
It's called being a fan, I don't really see anything wrong with it. Although I agree with you, it doesn't include me. I mean, for example, I think it's cool that Adrian Belew plays a Parker, but not too worried about Vernon Reid or Misha Monsoor leaving the fold.

I thought it was cool that he played a Mustang but didn't care that he changed. I'm more interested in the features of the guitar that JM (or any player) is asking for than the actual brand, not that PRS is a bad choice in any way. Matter of fact it's a great choice.
The guys who get upset are funny when an artists chooses something different, as they act as though the artist is invalidating everything they've done before. Or worse, invalidating the guitar they bought because artist X used one.
From the prototypes it looks as if JM is looking for some new sounds, which makes PRS a very good choice.

I think it's pretty cool that Mayer is willing to depart from a formula has been successful for him, experiment with a different kind of guitar, and even dip his toe into various prototype designs. It shows that he's really interested in working on his tone, which was very good to start with!

I can take or leave a JM signature model but the video shows that Clapton at 75? years old can still bring it pretty hard. Just love that tone.

Back