PRS Pickup wiring

dbonanno

I have a set of 1985 Reissue Treble/Bass pickups and would just like to confirm the following wiring ...

Treble
Black Wire = to "HOT"
Red Wire = Insulate (tape up)
White Wire = to "GROUND"

Bass
White Wire = to "HOT"
Red Wire = Insulate (tape up)
Black Wire = to "GROUND"

Thanks in advance! :)

Bump

Concerned with black wire being "HOT" on one pickup and white wire being "HOT" on the other. :confused:

50s_for_rotary_wired_pickups.jpg

Thanks for the response, but now I'm even more confused.
I don't have a 5-way rotary.

I have a set of 1985 reissue pickups (Treble/Bass).
I'll be installing them in a Tremonti SE Custom, standard 3-way toggle, no coil tap.
This is what I found online ...
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/pickups.pdf

It states "If necessary, reverse the black and white wires to match the phase of the existing pickups".
The existing pickups are just two wire, so I'm not sure what they mean. :dontknow:

Thanks for the sheet you posted dbonanno,
I own a 1991 PRS CE24 ser # 174308.
It came with the rotary selector switch.
I am replacing it with a 3-way selector & a push-pull tone pot.
My question is, from the (4) wires off the pick-ups.
Can you identify the black, white, red, & bare wires so I can use the push-pull to split the neck pick-up?
The paper I got with the guitar in 1991 says it has an HFS trebble & a Vintage bass pick-up.

I'm not sure which wire will go to the push-pull switch & which will go to the volume pot?
I have only been able to find Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams & they have (4) wires plus a bare ground.

PRS tech, feel free to share the diagram.
Thanks
Mgee

There’s a lot to unpack, but here goes:

Bump

Concerned with black wire being "HOT" on one pickup and white wire being "HOT" on the other. :confused:

This is normal to keep the signals in phase.

Thanks for the sheet you posted dbonanno,
I own a 1991 PRS CE24 ser # 174308.
It came with the rotary selector switch.
I am replacing it with a 3-way selector & a push-pull tone pot.
My question is, from the (4) wires off the pick-ups.
Can you identify the black, white, red, & bare wires so I can use the push-pull to split the neck pick-up?
The paper I got with the guitar in 1991 says it has an HFS trebble & a Vintage bass pick-up.

I'm not sure which wire will go to the push-pull switch & which will go to the volume pot?
I have only been able to find Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams & they have (4) wires plus a bare ground.

PRS tech, feel free to share the diagram.
Thanks
Mgee

The red wire is the series link which will get grounded by a push/pull (through a resistor if you so desire). Duncan pickups usually have four wires because they expose both ends of each coil instead of a combined series link. Bare wire is the shield which should get soldered to a pot casing. Will look through the PRS diagrams and find you a comparable one.

Back