PRS pickup set for Les Paul?

boardn10

Hey guys,

My PRS SC250 sounds incredible.

I also have a Les Paul Standard with. A Suhr Aldrich bridge a muddy sounding Gibson Alnico Pro neck Pickup.

Any suggestions for PRS or similar pickups for my LP? My Aldrich can't keep up with my PRS. For the neck Pickup, it's so much muddied and whoolier than my PRS SC250 neck Pickup. Part of this is the guitar, I know.

I am thinking of the Tremonti set or new \m/ metal set but I'm trying to watch my spending. Any others?

Maybe I live with the Aldrich bridge and find a better neck Pickup. Not sure. It's a struggle.

Thanks.

I'd recommend keeping an eye out for a set of 85/15's, though when they pop up on Reverb, they're $350+ for a set. Another couple options are the Dragon I or Dragon II if you want a fairly hot sounding pickup, with the I being a little hotter than the II.

I had a look on reverb for 85/15's recently out of curiosity and was really surprised to see how rarely they come up. When you consider they've been equipped to most of the flagship model(s) to leave the factory in the past five years you'd expect to see more about...

I briefly considered swapping out the 85/15's I've got for the fabled 57/08 N - 59/09 B combo that some (more experienced) members of the forum rave about, but seeing as I've never tried them myself I though better of it. Besides, if it ain't broke...

I stuck a Dragon 2 bridge in a Soltero (for all intensive purposes its basically an LP). I have no regrets, like it alot in there. Its hot, but not crazy hot. I find the Dragon 2s dont get the most love, especially compared to Dragon 1s, but I love em.

That said, Bareknuckle pickups have been my obsession lately. The Abraxas model is sublime, but they are wallet drainers. They have alot of options too, so consider finding a used one to try out.

I stuck a Dragon 2 bridge in a Soltero (for all intensive purposes its basically an LP). I have no regrets, like it alot in there. Its hot, but not crazy hot. I find the Dragon 2s dont get the most love, especially compared to Dragon 1s, but I love em.

That said, Bareknuckle pickups have been my obsession lately. The Abraxas model is sublime, but they are wallet drainers. They have alot of options too, so consider finding a used one to try out.

I've got a set of Bare Knuckle Abraxas in my S2 Custom 22 Semi Hollow and they're fantastic, highly recommend them.

I'd recommend keeping an eye out for a set of 85/15's, though when they pop up on Reverb, they're $350+ for a set. Another couple options are the Dragon I or Dragon II if you want a fairly hot sounding pickup, with the I being a little hotter than the II.
I have Dragons in my 1994 CE-22 and love them.
I had Dragon 2s in my a Custom but I thought the Dragons were better for my style - fatter and warmer, thicker and tighter.
I also tried the Dragon 2s in my CE-22 and again, really preferred the fullness of the Dragons.

As much as I love 57/08's, I don't find the neck pickup to be a magic cure for muddy tone. The 59/09 may actually be better in that regard, or better yet, 58/15.

A non-PRS option I've liked is the Seth Lover neck pickup. Wasn't as crazy about the bridge.

Thanks guys....

I'm leaning toward Tremonti for my LP.

My Aldrich I just want chunkier bass.

Maybe a Wolfetone Timbrewolf...

Rich

DGT neck is fantastic. Good luck finding one to buy though.

Only other one that comes close is the Rewind JPP neck.

Thanks guys....

I'm leaning toward Tremonti for my LP.

My Aldrich I just want chunkier bass.

Maybe a Wolfetone Timbrewolf...

Rich

Wolfe is a wonder. Tell him what you want and he’ll wind it. I can’t say enough good things about his pickups. Legends/Dr Vintage/Marshallhead - all ridiculously wonderful pickups.

I cant say enough great things about wolfe. He's nailed exactly what I was looking for with multiple guitars and a pleasure to deal with.

Wolfe is a wonder. Tell him what you want and he’ll wind it. I can’t say enough good things about his pickups. Legends/Dr Vintage/Marshallhead - all ridiculously wonderful pickups.
I love the guy, I have known him for years. I was on the phone with him today. He's a gem.
I may ask him to do me a Timbrewolf with an Alnico 8.

I love the guy, I have known him for years. I was on the phone with him today. He's a gem.
I may ask him to do me a Timbrewolf with an Alnico 8.
Ill have to check him out too. Ive seen Wolfetones here and there, just never pulled the trigger.

Ill have to check him out too. Ive seen Wolfetones here and there, just never pulled the trigger.
I considered sending him the pickups out of Archtop to rewind

Went a different route
After a Doyle’s/Homes/Rewind/throbak/58 PAF shootout…

I’m running an MJ wound antiquity in the neck (spun magnet) and a Wolfetone legend in the bridge. They’re that good.

I played in a hard rock band for years and my main guitar was his Wolfetone Timbrewolf, sort of like a better (to my ears) Duncan Custom. He's an amazing dude too. He I'll often call me and discuss my order. So cool.

If you are looking for a PRS pickup set that is great for a Les Paul, find an old 90's set of PRS Artist pickups. These are alnico 4 and fantastic, IMO. I put them in my CU22 and my Les Paul Custom. They do everything well. Much better than any other PRS pickup I have tried with the exception of the DGT set.

I have no idea why they stopped making these.

If you are looking for a PRS pickup set that is great for a Les Paul, find an old 90's set of PRS Artist pickups. These are alnico 4 and fantastic, IMO. I put them in my CU22 and my Les Paul Custom. They do everything well. Much better than any other PRS pickup I have tried with the exception of the DGT set.

I have no idea why they stopped making these.

Gorgeous axes.

Artist series pickups I dont think Ive ever seen used. I imagine they would be sky high in price. The DGTs are in that category too, nobody ever sells those.

Artist and DGT?
I bet those are great pickups but I'd have to take out a loan to afford those!

Gorgeous axes.

Artist series pickups I dont think Ive ever seen used. I imagine they would be sky high in price. The DGTs are in that category too, nobody ever sells those.

Thanks! I got the pickups years ago, both sets mint on Ebay. Both from the 90's. Prices were reasonable back then. I just checked Reverb and there is a zebra set from 1991 for $420, which is a lot more than I paid.

Back