PRS pickup replacement for an older Custom 24

Stormin

I have an older Custom 24 from the mid 90's and I'm thinking about replacing the VB/HFS combo with another set of PRS pickups. I'm looking to get tones like Grissom did when he played his older Goldtop 24. Ampwise, I'm using a Shiva.

Specifically, I'm interested in the 59/09s or the reissue T&Bs. I'm not looking to go with other manufacturers for this one. Can anyone offer any advise on these two pickups in a Custom 24?

Thanks!

goldtop.jpg

As far as history on the older Cu24's, they have had the HFS/VB since 1991. It is likely Grissom played the HFS/VB. If you want earlier, you are right, you need to get the T&B reissue pups.

There were also a few Grissom pickups back in the day, long before the DGT model. I almost bought a PRS Standard in the late 90's that had Grissom pickups in it.

Never played a DGT so I couldn't say how it would compare but the 5909s are excellent pickups. They may not get the DG tones but they may open new tonal avenues for you. I put 5708s I'm my ce24 but I almost decided on 5909s I'm sure they would sound great. The 5909s in my cu24 can get quite bright when rolling back vol so I would expect them to be a little brighter yet with maple ce neck. FWIW

5909s rock in a 24 fret guitar. Had then in my CE24 and they were awesome, great tone, rich harmonics, very thick and tight sound with an overdriven amp. The DGTs will be different, not that different but maybe more midrangy would be the best way to describe them. This is all to my ear and I've had both pickups in a couple of different guitars. Can't go wrong with either, just different flavors of awesome! DGTs will be harder to find and likely more expensive.

5909s rock in a 24 fret guitar. Had then in my CE24 and they were awesome, great tone, rich harmonics, very thick and tight sound with an overdriven amp. The DGTs will be different, not that different but maybe more midrangy would be the best way to describe them. This is all to my ear and I've had both pickups in a couple of different guitars. Can't go wrong with either, just different flavors of awesome! DGTs will be harder to find and likely more expensive.

Yes, the DGT pickups will be expensive for sure. I would love to play a DGT or perhaps even own one!

Back