Prs Petrecca Prototype?

It's up on Dave's Guitars website. Price is what you'd expect for a one-off PS. i.e. way more than I could imagine paying for a guitar - we just got our two AC units replaced for a little more than that...

Says this about the shape and creator/inspiration:

"The body shape was a collaboration between Marvel/DC Comic Book Artist Robert Petrecca and Paul Smith in the late 1990's. The body was largely forgotten but was resurrected when PRS was exploring some alternate body shape options for artists. In 2017, one was build for Robert and a couple were built for Carlos Santana. "
Hope it gets a reburial. #blech

In my opinion the Explorer/Destroyer type guitars may look awkward to a lot of players, but having played a few I think its a very well balanced bodyshape wether your playing seated or on a strap. This may not be for everyone but I wouldn't mind seeing PRS's refined spin on an Explorer type guitar. This one has a little Firebird-ish vibe.The Firebird is not one of my favorite bodyshapes 'cause its not nearly as comfy as an explorer.YOMV :cool:

CPGDUvd.jpg
Think there may be an evolution in Tremonti’s prototype in the works… check this out from Dave’s Guitar Shop
Nope, just horrible …memories of the Gibson Firebird X.

In my opinion the Explorer/Destroyer type guitars may look awkward to a lot of players, but having played a few I think its a very well balanced bodyshape wether your playing seated or on a strap. This may not be for everyone but I wouldn't mind seeing PRS's refined spin on an Explorer type guitar. This one has a little Firebird-ish vibe.The Firebird is not one of my favorite bodyshapes 'cause its not nearly as comfy as an explorer.YOMV :cool:
Agree with your comments about Explorer, it has its own reason and its own public.

But this "petrecca" is only a badly injured body, just look at the remains of the carving the does not follow the contour of the body ... :(
in Italy we say "unwatchable", I do not know if this is the right translation anyway you know what I mean.

Personally I am intrigued. Not as weird as say Parker archtops.

In the world of Archtops I am always searching for something a little more contemporary, less emphasis on excessive ornamentation. Cleaner if you will. This fits with my utter disdain for vintage tuners, or those hideous art deco things they use on some archtops.

John Petrecca... John Petrucci's evil twin. With a guitar like that, I think he plays in a band called Bad Dream Theater. :cool:
Nightmare Theater!

I'm not sure what I make of this. I like the traditional PRS DC and SC carves, including the Santana - they just seem to be just the right set of curves. My eyes like them.

My first useful electric guitar was a Flying V knockoff. I thought I was going to be the next KK Downing (Judas Priest)(I was wrong). Those are very non-ergonomic for sitting down, but play nicely standing up - no issues with access to the upper frets because of the lower bout getting in the way!

For this one, the inability to use a guitar stand normally seems quite annoying (do all you Explorer players just case it, or use wall hangers, or ... ?). The Flying V is also not guitar-stand friendly, thought I can usually make it work if the bottom rest is wide enough.

And that extra weight from the fat bass side seems like a bad idea.

I’m a past 60 traditionalist. That said, I don’t dislike it, other than I’m not a fan of the gray. I prolly wouldn’t be comfortable with it, but I bet I’m not the target demographic for it either.

I like it. Unique and pretty tasteful. I do love explorers though. As was mentioned, they feel great to play and I think they look great. Big fan of firebirds too.

I’d buy a core one if they had it.

Back