Prs P90s

archey

Prs has improved their pickup game by leaps and bounds in the last 11 or so years. One thing the haven't done yet is make their own P90. The Seymour Duncans in my opinion are just okay. I think Prs could do better if they put their minds to it. Would anybody else like to see them design one, or is it just me?

Prs has improved their pickup game by leaps and bounds in the last 11 or so years. One thing the haven't done yet is make their own P90. The Seymour Duncans in my opinion are just okay. I think Prs could do better if they put their minds to it. Would anybody else like to see them design one, or is it just me?
I'd be game to try it out if they made them in-house, but I must say... the 594 soapy is fabulous!

My understanding is the original P90's were SD's alright but PRSH had his twist added to the design. So they were not standard SD's. They sound really good to me.

My understanding is the original P90's were SD's alright but PRSH had his twist added to the design. So they were not standard SD's. They sound really good to me.

Nice. I'll have to give the 594 a try.

You're not wrong, but the P90 is probably a little niche market, so I doubt PRS would sink the same amount of time and effort as they would into a PAF style or a 60's Strat style pickup.

That said, the SC 594s are seriously great.

I like the Duncans in my 594 Soapbar as much or better than the original pickups in my 1965 SG Special. I’m surprised how close they come, and keep in mind that I’m talking about pickups that have aged for 54 years.

I think Seymour Duncan pretty much nailed it.

Oh man................another sharp reminder of how much I want a P90 guitar............

I’ve had a couple of McCarty Soapbars and CU22 Soapbars in the past, and they were fantastic guitars. The tone felt more modern. I was fine with that, and expected something similar when I bought the 594 Soapbar.

To my delight, this thing showed up that sounded like it belonged in a vintage guitar shop - I gotta say, I absolutely love the tone - yet felt like a 594 PRS with everything that goes along with that.

I’ve had a couple of McCarty Soapbars and CU22 Soapbars in the past, and they were fantastic guitars. The tone felt more modern. I was fine with that, and expected something similar when I bought the 594 Soapbar.

To my delight, this thing showed up that sounded like it belonged in a vintage guitar shop - I gotta say, I absolutely love the tone - yet felt like a 594 PRS with everything that goes along with that.

Hmmmmm. Thanks a lot Les. More gas to keep in check.

I think I understand the sentiment, but I am trying to think of what a "modern" P90 sound would be like. My McSoapy feels modern...maybe...but sounds like a vintage rocker with P90's driving the bus. I don't see how P90's can sound anything but vintage because nothing modern has P90's in it. Single coils are experimented with in a modern sense, buckers certainly are, but it seems to me that P90's just stick to a vintage vibe. Maybe I'm mistaken...

Back