PRS "organic dyes" used for stains

shinksma

What? I get a title?
My wife and I really enjoyed the "interactive exhibit" at Experience PRS 2018 where we got a chance to stain so maple cut offs. She did a really nice piece of quilt, and I did a couple of flamed pieces. One of mine, and hers, were the cutoffs from the side of a maple top - long/skinny, with one straight edge and one with a nice s-curve. I clear-coated the stained surfaces and then put those two pieces together to create a Dali-esque mini-shelf.

She had stained the edges of her wood, I had done just the top - I wasn't sure what was going to be what while we were playing with the stain, so I guess I just did the part that was "most interesting" to me at the time.

After assembling the "shelf", it was obvious the unstained bit of my piece was sticking out like a sore thumb. her piece was the "shelf", so her edge looked nice and up front, but the top and sides of my piece (the "back/wall") were just mostly naked and slightly marred with spots of stain.

So I looked at my collection of paints (recently obtained from F-I-L who no longer had need for them), and couldn't find anything that I thought would do good as a trim for this shelf-thingy.

Then I remembered some food coloring in the pantry. I thought, well, let's see if they can color up the wood kind-of close to what is already there. When I opened the four-pack up, I saw that the raw food coloring looked a whole lot like the stains we had used at PRS!

After a couple of trial runs (you can always sand stuff down again...), I committed to trying to replicate the green-yellow fade of my piece down the long unstained edge. And it worked! It was remarkably close!

I then stained the other piece left over - the one side was done in a yellow-orange fade "up the chevron" like a guitar would be done, I suppose, so I did the opposite side with a yellow-center to sides fade to red. The red food coloring is not as deep as I expected - it took a couple of "coats" to get it to darken up beyond a deep pink. Maybe PRS uses a darker dye, maybe they use a bit of black (gray) or other color to deepen the red, I dunno. Gives you a new appreciation for the art of staining what looks like an easy color...

So, are the dyes/stains used by PRS very similar in composition to what is sold as food coloring/dye?

I will be interested to see if, over time, the colors hold up the same...

Here are the pieces:

hkqzNpb.jpg

Hbb0xZw.jpg

This is very cool.
I had expected something very different from the title. Probably because a friend of mine has been experimenting with using plants as dye for a couple of years. She has a pretty wide palette now. Heavily biased to greens and earth tones, but some really nice yellows and oranges and some interesting blues.

Really nice job!

Most stains use organic dyes, though not necessarily food coloring! That’s because inorganic dyes are usually much more opaque, and will obscure the grain, which of course isn’t what you want to do with a beautiful PRS top.

I’d suspect that food coloring would be very photosensitive, and prone to fading. But, yes, tasty! ;)

After a bunch of chatting with a couple PS guys, I tried what they suggested and it worked really well ...get a bottle of Crazy Glue with a brush and coat your colors...this will protect them and can be sanded and polished to a nice shine. As usual, more thinner coats are better than 1 thick coat...will also polish to a great shine. Dana (PS neck guy) made a very cool little trinket box and used Crazy glue and its awesome looking.

I wish I could afford to move to MD for that kind of job! Much more satisfying than the "never-ending charts and slides of doom" that make up my middle-management daily routine...

Amen to that. I'd happily take a job sweeping up wood chips at the PRS factory than do the mind-numbing nonsense I do every day at my current gig. But alas, mortgage payments don't make themselves...

After a bunch of chatting with a couple PS guys, I tried what they suggested and it worked really well ...get a bottle of Crazy Glue with a brush and coat your colors...this will protect them and can be sanded and polished to a nice shine. As usual, more thinner coats are better than 1 thick coat...will also polish to a great shine. Dana (PS neck guy) made a very cool little trinket box and used Crazy glue and its awesome looking.

You can also use a couple of coats of clear Krylon spray paint

Nice stain work, you should explore this as a hobby.
Hmmm. I could buy some figured maple or other woods, and my wife and I would enjoy that.

then when I want to buy another PRS, I just say "hey, let's buy some more figured maple and other woods, pre-configured for us!"

There’s some powder dyes on the market and using it with de-natured alcohol, tends to result in greater vibrancy in colour. However you have to have the confidence of Mrs @shinksma to get those results!:D

The guys at PRS make it look very easy. It’s not!

I am learning to turn pens as a hobby and most are finished with multiple coats of CA (superglue) glue. I use 3-4 coats of thin and 3-4 coats of a medium then sand out to 12,000 grit. Amazing shine!

I am learning to turn pens as a hobby and most are finished with multiple coats of CA (superglue) glue. I use 3-4 coats of thin and 3-4 coats of a medium then sand out to 12,000 grit. Amazing shine!

Wipe on poly is quite effective too! Not sure how high a reflective finish you can achieve though!

Back