PRS ONLY? What else do you play?

20140522_221209_zpse8d51518.jpg

20140522_222611_zpsf0519c7d.jpg

I've been through a lot of guitars but don't currently own that many. Finally found my perfect PRS in my Paul's Guitar which essentially has all the various features I liked best from the other 5-or-so PRSi I've been through: narrow 408 pickups, maple top, stop-bar, pattern neck.

That said, my other guitars are not PRS guitars and I do love the 'vibe' that a good vintage-style Gibson has. My other two electrics are therefore a 2012 Gibson USA '61 RI SG which I've modded with BKP P90 pickups and a Bigbsy; and a 2003 Gibson Les Paul Classic '1960' model to which I've had BKP Abraxas pickups and Jimmy Page coil-split/out-of-phase/series-parallel push-pull madness added! These two guitars are great - and have the vintage vibe in spades - but my Paul's Guitar is easily my #1 for quality, feel, playability and flexibility so that's what I gig with.

I also have a Faith acoustic which is lovely but sees very little use, I'm afraid to say.

I have lots of guitars that I've acquired over the years. I play Les Pauls and Teles mostly, with the occasional Strat, SG, 335, Music Man, whathaveyou. But no doubt PRS is my #1 go to. Especially my CU24. It's a do-it-all guitar where I used to take out 5 guitars to do my covers or sideman gig. My #1 for sure. I'll try to get pics up soon of them all.

2 x USA standard strats (2010 charcoal frost & 2013 3TSB)
2012 gibson les paul traditional plus top
2012 gibson custom shop ES 339
2013 faith Venus electro acoustic
199? Westfield acoustic
1994 squier strat - blackie tribute!

to go with my custom 22.

I've worked hard to buy them all myself (apart from the Westfield and squier - thanks dad!) but I appreciate how lucky I am to own them all. If only my playing ability matched the quality of instruments!!!

Since moving to my current location, just a Yamaha accoustic.

Plus having the rest of my gear stolen (allegedly) by a (now former) roommate who'd developed a really bad drug habit sort of made playing anything else until I got my SE Cu24 a bit tricky.

I got my first PRS a few days ago, and love it! Not sure if you can see it in this picture (crappy phone camera), but these are the guitars I play most often...

f_zps6950e6ed.jpg

From right to left:
(1) PRS Cu24
(2) Gibson Les Paul Swirl
(3) Fender Lite Ash Strat
(4) Schecter C1 35th Anniversary
(5) Ibanez RG570

As per signature below.
Trimmed from 22 a couple of years ago to 10.
Loving the PRS's which started with the SE semi hollow Custom about 2 years ago. It's actually my go to. Nice and light, covers a lot of ground. Like Paul say's......."like your old favourite T-shirt".

100_1013-Copy_zps87313343.jpg

Makes a Great Case for VOS and Relics, no?

YAMAHA!!!!

I love my 2002 PRS McCarty 10 Top in bluish turquoise (not the official color name, I know), it is a work of art and amazing precision craftsmanship. However, I realized I'm scared to take it to gigs, jam sessions, etc., for fear of marring its minty appearance. This led me to the decision to buy a "beater" guitar that I would not care about getting damaged by taking it to a rough / rowdy environment to play.
Ken

Makes a great case for VOS and Relic guitars IMO. I don't buy them if I don't play them.

Check this one out. BANGIN'!!!

21e99500-b667-4c2c-a05f-c907e8553755.jpg

In addition to my Hamer Artist Custom Semi-Hollow I already posted about, I must add to this confessional a recent F-word purchase. I started out looking at the clearance DC3s, but wanted something more "stratty." Played just about every strat new, used, USA, Mexican, in three stores, meh meh and double meh.

On my last stop, one of the GC guys I trust brought me over one of the new 60th Anniversary Commemorative Strats. At first I'm thinking snore, two-tone burst. Gold hardware & peal tuner buttons on a strat? "You Americans are all alike - always overdressing for the wrong occasions." Suprised the snot out of me, but this particular one blew me away. The compound radius 9.5" - 14" fretboard and satin neck are the most comfy non-PRS neck I have every played. Honky, bright but not overly harsh like many strats I have played. 5 springs to get the trem flush and she seems quite stable as well.

No pics...no offense, she's a fine piece of ash, but if you've seen one two-tone burst strat with a maple neck you pretty much have seen them all. Nice custom case, candy, book, etc. One guitar does not a convert make, but after several attempts off and on over the years to cozy up to a strat, I am happy to have finally found one I love, that I don't feel like I am fighting to play, and that lets me sound how I'd like to sound when I play it.

I'm kind of a PRS newcomer, having gotten my first one in 2011. I spent many years before that playing and accumulating Carvins, USA Hamers, as well as MJ, Godin, US Masters, Kramer, Jackson, Robin, and of course, Fender and Gibson.
P1010011_zps0293a649.jpg

P1010015-1_zpsa215ca4c.jpg

P1010028_zps4865922d.jpg

p1010028.jpg

Artist2.jpg

Strat1-1_zps83f1a393.jpg

AsinArtguit.jpg

basses3-1.jpg

P1010014.jpg

adamas2.jpg

Fender basses.....Taylor acoustics.

Along with my PRS'...the trifecta of perfect instruments!

Pic of two of my "others". 67 Johnny Smith and a 2011 359 flame with ebony board.

409559416.jpg

Last edited:
My SE is all I have now, but I do plan on getting more... eventually. Right now my buddy is selling his Richenbacker 620/12 that I'm thinking of buying. The first problem is he lives in Cali, the second problem is scraping up funds... but boy is it sexy, lol.

In the past I've played Gibson, Martin, Peavey and various "strat-style" instruments, oddly I've never owned a true strat.

This is my other main electric besides the SC SE that I play and the ZM that I have coming. It's a 1999 Ibanez SC1620 "Prestige" I bought new in 1999. It's been through hell and back with me. The pickups are V1 and V2 per Ibanez and are coil tapped. I love the tapped tones but hate the volume drop on the treble side that I know PRS has fixed in their 408's. I wish they well sell those by themselves. I would drop them in this guitar in a heartbeat.

Also the fretwire used was an extra hard material and it's finally about time for a fret job after 15 years of abuse. I put 11's on it and they bend like 10's on most other guitars. There is a measurable difference in the lack of friction on the fretwire. I wouldn't believe it without feeling it for myself but a lot of my jam buddies have commented about it too. A friend even borrowed it for a series of gigs over the course of a year once because he loved this guitar so much. Maybe someone knows the material that was used?

The other great thing about this guitar is the body shape. It has been contoured so much around the edges that it sits very well and weighs almost nothing yet still has good sustain.

Prs dgt, ibanez rg 870 through my hughes and kettner grandmesiter 36 . Pretty much all I need right now

How do you like your Grandmeister? I have one but I can't seem to ge the tones I want and the last 2 channels a very noisy. Do you have any problems with yours? I haven't had time to bring it in for servicing, and I don't know anybody who also owns oneto ask I hade the Tubegrandmeister 36 which I loved but this tone stack does not seem the same.

Added this one to the herd...
A 2002 Ibanez S2120x Antique Violin with Piezo and zebra Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary pickups.
As Tedder said the S series guitars offer great mahogany tone and sustain which surpises everyone, since this is a really thin shaped guitar.
All the ones I had (mostly early S540, S450) were like this.
P3022186%202_zpscdiwgnld.jpg

Last edited:
Back