PRS neck binding

rickcard71

Why is PRS using plastic binding on their guitars now, especially the 594s? I’ve seen some DGTs also. Not a fan of the plastic binding or whatever it is made from.

Because it’s their take on an LP and that’s what those have.

Next question!

I don't like the change. I thought one of the classy things about a PRS was the natural wood binding look on a core. I guess I'm in the minority. LP fans are used to binding. I like no binding on the neck and the natural wood look on the body.

I love the stripped wood binding look. It also seems more labor intensive as you have to mask well and not bleed stain from the top, versus running a plastic strip.

I love the stripped wood binding look. It also seems more labor intensive as you have to mask well and not bleed stain from the top, versus running a plastic strip.

I agree, and me too. The plastic looks cheap. But, even if it labor intensive which it probably is, why not just do nothing, ala DGTs or the older ones, paint I believe. The only guitar that I want from PRS now is the Silver Sky, and I love PRS, my favorite guitar brand. But with the binding, knob layout, I like the old style like an original SC245 and the split coils I have no desire for a 594. I would like one, but I don’t want splits on a SC vintagesque guitar. Oh, I also miss the wide fat neck shape. Some things PRS does with innovation is amazing, but some things I don’t get.

I agree, and me too. The plastic looks cheap. But, even if it labor intensive which it probably is, why not just do nothing, ala DGTs or the older ones, paint I believe. The only guitar that I want from PRS now is the Silver Sky, and I love PRS, my favorite guitar brand. But with the binding, knob layout, I like the old style like an original SC245 and the split coils I have no desire for a 594. I would like one, but I don’t want splits on a SC vintagesque guitar. Oh, I also miss the wide fat neck shape. Some things PRS does with innovation is amazing, but some things I don’t get.
I pretty much agree, which is why my last purchase was a gently used S2 Singlecut Standard Satin.

I don't mind the plastic binding but I prefer it in cream yellowish color (like on my Ted), not the white ivory
that clashes with the faux binding of the top and that goes for the pickup rings too, unless there's no faux binding.

I'm not sure what kind of binding is on the neck of my 2011 MC-58, but it ain't low-budget looking. (Seems to even have some stripe/texture within it?)

No binding......No.............not never.........I don’t recall anyone ever saying “Let’s make my guitar sound better by putting more plastic on it “

Oh, really?

48117b300d36dd7d30736ef1c73c0de4.jpg

Hahahaha!

To be honest, I often don't even realize which of my PRSi have neck binding. Like right now, I know some do and some don't, and I could guess which is which, but I guess it just doesn't register enough for me. So I guess I don't really care either way.

I do like the faux binding of natural wood on the maple caps, though.

I love real maple binding on the neck. Not a huge fan of the plastic, but it isn't going to keep me from scarfing up an otherwise sexy fiddle!

Had to go look, which tells you something. I like it on the 594, it looks like you’d expect and I always liked bound Gibson necks anyway. It used to be that bound necks (yes, in plastic) were on “high dollar” guitars and the unbound necks were for the low-rent models. My, how times change!

I also like the look of the unbound necks guitars I have, so I guess I don’t have an opinion. Or don’t care. Or prefer whatever is on a guitar that I like. One of those.

It’s the only thing that matches the pickup rings on my 594 and I’m an LP guy too so it’s all good :)

Back