PRS @ NAMM 2023?

MichaelC24

Sucker for Squabbins
As NAMM 2023 approaches, I’m wondering if anyone here can speak to PRS’ involvement. Are they skipping out again? If they are returning, what do you hope to see released?!

We’ve already seen the bulk of their 2023 lineup, which has been jam packed with some great new and updated instruments, SE to PS.
But what (if any) surprises are left?

I’ll start!
• Miles Kennedy Signature
• MT100
• SE Silver Sky (Maple Fretboard)

Let’s hear your best guesses!
*And let’s also hope they are even attending..*

I don’t know if it will be NAMM related, but I wouldn’t be surprised by some new SE Silver Sky colors, as I have seen a few dealers selling the current ones at discount.

IMHO NAMM has died. It’s gone from a super huge group of like minded ppl to nothing.
What do you think has killed it? The organization, the manufacturers or maybe the musicians themselves. I’ve heard several people say that having it twice a year killed it, people od’d on it.

What do you think has killed it? The organization, the manufacturers or maybe the musicians themselves. I’ve heard several people say that having it twice a year killed it, people od’d on it.
I think not having during a pandemic caused companies to get in the habit of releasing new product in other ways. There’s no reason to go back to the NAMM model.

I want the Kennedy Signature. I just don’t know if that will be this year though.

It's been a while since I've been to any trade show, but they could be weird. Like others, I think the pandemic accelerated the move away from them, but it's been happening since since the internet became ubiquitous.

A main reason is that relationship building and media attention are quicker and more effective through electronic communication, websites, releases, videos, etc. And those are always on things.

Another issue at music/sound related shows is the din. It's tough to have a serious discussion when having difficulty hearing one another. And just the sound of a large number of people moving and talking can create a lot of noise, before you get near the drum booths.

I'll guess consolidation of music retail has a large role, as well, as the remaining smaller, independent shops are not as important for many manufacturers as they once were. And important deals are unlikely to be done at a trade show.

And for those staffing a booth, how many of the people they speak with are current or potential direct customers (that is music retailers in NAMM's case) or represent a media outlet with a reliable audience/readership they want to reach?

Trade shows used to be effective for new, start-up businesses and ideas to show their goods & services, gain interest, and attract retailers. But there's the internet and even crowd-funding available now.

And finally, for a lot of companies, large and small, the cost of displaying (or even attending) trade shows, along with hotels, meals, schmoozing, displays, pressure to compete or outdo a competitor's display, hiring artists, models (in some cases), and all makes it a tough sell. Especially when you're talking to a nerdy audio engineer/jazz musician dude with thick glasses and wondering why his nametag says "Lori." (Lori and I would switch to see sales pitches get slightly thrown).

I'm obviously stuck in the past.

I like going into a physical music store and browsing. I like playing the instruments, checking stuff out in person, etc. It's a fun way to kill a little time, and often I find something I think is worth owning.

I wouldn't have been remotely interested in a PRS if I hadn't played one first; I was looking for a Les Paul the day I discovered PRS. I've also found other brands I've liked playing them in person, and don't even get me started on how online demos of synths are irrelevant, because they're all about the modulation, feel, oscillators in person, controls, etc.

And amps! In-person is the best way to figure out whether an amp is for you.

I want to eyeball and feel how well something's made, how it'll hold up, and look at the materials in-person.

Often too, something I might have otherwise ordered via the internet turns out to be pretty damn cheesy in person, and that's worth knowing, too! If a mic or other studio gear looks and feels like it's junk, all the online demos in the world won't make me buy it. Physical quality can't be judged remotely.

If I was a person selling gear, I'd want to get hands-on with it to figure out how my customers might react to it. That can't be done on social media. I'm not interested as a player in going to a NAMM, crowds turn me off when I'm evaluating gear. But if I were a retailer, I'd go.

So I think the world is worse off, not better, when things like NAMM shrink/disappear.

i don't know, seems like it would pay for itself -- how can you lose on a pop-up store at a convention full of buyers? marketing spends more for an instagram story placement than they would just uploading their own namm coverage.

I'm obviously stuck in the past.

I like going into a physical music store and browsing. I like playing the instruments, checking stuff out in person, etc. It's a fun way to kill a little time, and often I find something I think is worth owning.

I wouldn't have been remotely interested in a PRS if I hadn't played one first; I was looking for a Les Paul the day I discovered PRS. I've also found other brands I've liked playing them in person, and don't even get me started on how online demos of synths are irrelevant, because they're all about the modulation, feel, oscillators in person, controls, etc.

And amps! In-person is the best way to figure out whether an amp is for you.

I want to eyeball and feel how well something's made, how it'll hold up, and look at the materials in-person.

Often too, something I might have otherwise ordered via the internet turns out to be pretty damn cheesy in person, and that's worth knowing, too! If a mic or other studio gear looks and feels like it's junk, all the online demos in the world won't make me buy it. Physical quality can't be judged remotely.

If I was a person selling gear, I'd want to get hands-on with it to figure out how my customers might react to it. That can't be done on social media. I'm not interested as a player in going to a NAMM, crowds turn me off when I'm evaluating gear. But if I were a retailer, I'd go.

So I think the world is worse off, not better, when things like NAMM shrink/disappear.

i don't know, seems like it would pay for itself -- how can you lose on a pop-up store at a convention full of buyers? marketing spends more for an instagram story placement than they would just uploading their own namm coverage.

Good points. My guess is that trade shows will continue, but they won't be the massive productions they once were. They'll also be smaller, limiting who has access. I think manufacturers and retailers get frustrated when a music store buyer has to wait through several start-up bloggers, low-audience YouTubers, and non-buyer fans to figure out what his or her store is going to stock for the next few months.

And there will be more focus on in-person networking, talks, and presentations focused on the industry. Like how independent retailers can survive the current market. And less focus on the vendor floor.

With smaller crowds, less focus on ohhh-ahh floorspace, nor need of staffing from modelling agencies (which I think has already pretty much gone away), and an emphasis on learning useful information, trade shows can be more effective at their originally-intended purpose.

Reactions: CVS
Back