PRS Multi-Foil

Raymond

Hi guys,

I have asked this on TGP and a bit on The Fretboard (UK), even emailed PRS Customer Service, did some digging online but couldn't really find out much.

Basically, I am wondering, outside the few made in the 80's and 40 Swamp Ash Special PRS made for the 2012 Experience and excluding the SE variant, how many others were there. All I can find online generally is the Swamp Ash Special in the 5 colours (Aqua, Solar, Happy, Dessert and Franken). I also know that in 2016 they made them a few more in Blue, Red, Green and Gold (Call Dessert Foil) in Custom 24 Spec with 85/15 and those were Wood Library versions. I did a search on the forum and found 1 member has a Custom 24 (Solar ) and 2 Swamp Ash Special (Solar and Franken).

I emailed Brian's Guitars (where I got my guitar from), and he confirmed that he was at the 2012 PRS Experience and he recalls as well as the SAS, there were also 1 x Hollowbody and my Stripped 58.

Anyone else here have a Foil PRS? Especially a single cut. I wonder if mine is a unicorn.

And does anybody have that Hollowbody Multi-Foil? Do you have a Foil PRS?

TPZBS4c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have asked this on TGP and a bit on The Fretboard (UK), even emailed PRS Customer Service, did some digging online but couldn't really find out much.

Basically, I am wondering, outside the few made in the 80's and 40 Swamp Ash Special PRS made for the 2012 Experience and excluding the SE variant, how many others were there. All I can find online generally is the Swamp Ash Special in the 5 colours (Aqua, Solar, Happy, Dessert and Franken). I also know that in 2016 they made them a few more in Blue, Red, Green and Gold (Call Dessert Foil) in Custom 24 Spec with 85/15 and those were Wood Library versions. I did a search on the forum and found 1 member has a Custom 24 (Solar ) and 2 Swamp Ash Special (Solar and Franken).

I emailed Brian's Guitars (where I got my guitar from), and he confirmed that he was at the 2012 PRS Experience and he recalls as well as the SAS, there were also 1 x Hollybody and my Stripped 58.

Anyone else here have a Foil PRS? Especially a single cut. I wonder if mine is a unicorn.

And does anybody have that Hollybody Multi-Foil? Do you have a Foil PRS?

TPZBS4c.jpg
I want a foil ;~((

There is one Solar-Foil Custom 24 on sale currently in Germany, it's listed on reverb and their site.
Wow, that is HOT!! Wish it wasn't a Standard 24 ;~(( I already have 2 CU24's and am looking for some variation from that model. Thanks for pointing it out though, I love love love that solar foil! Your blue one is incredible as well. Thanks for the feedback and sharing your treasure!

I don't know what else is out there, but dang that one in the OP is SMOKIN'!

The finish flakes off the 80s ones not sure if the newer ones are better.
Thanks for the warning, but total buzz kill!! Now I need to figure out if that is the case, because if it is, no foil for me!!!

Anybody have longish exposure to this foil finish on modern PRSi? If so, feedback appreciated!!

I wish they would figure out the fast color fading issue with some blues and purples. Honestly has stopped be from splurging on a core mccarty before when i worried that the guitar would fade so fast. And I don’t like storing guitars in cases.

That there is a unicorn! Sometimes unexpected, unadvertised options slip out of the factory and I bet that's one of them. My understanding is that the foil finish is pretty tricky to do, and the older ones tend to peel up if not treated very, very nicely.

This is my 2012 Singlecut Hollowbody in a custom finish informally called Copper Multifoil according to PRS (I call it Warm Carmel Ripple). It is finished in the copper color then the black "crinkley" finish is applied over it. I have not seen this finish on any other PRS.

51237542303_dec568d08b_h.jpg

51238397735_173a4ca9d7_h.jpg

51237542273_ef474ce3f2_h.jpg

This is my 2012 Singlecut Hollowbody in a custom finish informally called Copper Multifoil according to PRS (I call it Warm Carmel Ripple). It is finished in the copper color then the black "crinkley" finish is applied over it. I have not seen this finish on any other PRS.

51237542303_dec568d08b_h.jpg

51238397735_173a4ca9d7_h.jpg

51237542273_ef474ce3f2_h.jpg

oh so you have the hollow body that Brian mentioned! The other unicorn!

How did you get your hands on it, or where did you get it from?

Back