PRS MT-15 No Sound

Monster

Hi guys, I was enjoying my MT-15 last night for about 10 minutes when all of the sudden...... nothing. No sound whatsoever. The tubes are all glowing as normal and I have only used it sparingly as a home guitarist/hobbyist maybe twice a week for the last few months since purchasing brand new in my smoke free home. I would play more but the wife and kids wouldnt appreciate me as much lol. Anyway I am no tube amp expert and was hoping you guys here may have some understanding of why this is happening. I am heartbroken right now about it but I know PRS is the best and you guys here as well have so much knowledge about guitars and amps. Thanks for any help or input you may have ..Mark

That sucks. Rule out the easy stuff first. Guitar, cable, amp. Nothing else. If that's what your normal set up is, try a different cable. Could also be a blown fuse. Which, would mean popping the chassis out to see where they are, and what they look like. Good luck!

Bodia, Thanks for the info. I am going to check the fuse next. I checked the cables and they are fine so wish me luck . Just bummed.Its such a fantastic amp.I know it will work out though.

Michael, No static or sound whatsoever. I just packed the amp up and its ready to be checked out by the pros as soon as I get a call. It seems like a problem that I will not be able to take care of myself as I know zero about tube amps. Also bummed because I have an old Charvel coming in today and was hoping to shred on it :(Thanks for the help guys. I will keep you updated on this..take care

Last edited:
Could be the fuse, as mentioned, or the tubes. Checking the tubes is easy, if you have some spares. Just make sure to let them cool for a few minutes first! Take the cage off the top of the amp. Then, since your problem sounds like it is with the output section, I would start with the power tubes (big ones), then make your way through the smaller preamp tubes, replacing them one by one, turning the amp back on, and see if it comes back to life. Just make sure you turn the amp totally off when changing tubes, and definitely don’t go further into the amp and touch the circuit board, etc, as that’s where some of the shock hazards are.

If you don’t have spare tubes, definitely get some - tube maintenance is something you’ll need to do occasionally, and it’s pretty easy, you don’t want the hassle and expense of paying a tech every time. Get a couple 12ax7’s, and a matched pair of 6L6’s, for the MT15. The same things apply for the fuse. If you still aren’t confident doing this, make sure they let you watch at the shop!

Andy, Great advice ! I do need to get some spare tubes. I am such a newbie to tube amps that I am nervous to touch it. It seems I am one of those people that if I touch something it turns to $ T . I am taking it in Saturday to the store I purchased the amp from and they are taking a look and going from there. I am also going to watch carefully to see what steps they take in solving the problem and hope to learn something. I am hoping its an easy fix and will probably feel stupid when I find out what the fix is. Anyway thanks to everyone here for the input and to PRS for an amazing amp. The thing is really amazing and cant wait to get it back up and running. I will let you know what happens. Wish me luck! Thanks again

Andy, No luck so far but I did drop the amp off yesterday to the dealer where I purchased the Mt15 from and they were going to take a look and see if it needs to be sent back to Prs for warranty service. I am hoping for a minor issue of course and will keep everyone posted as soon as I get some info. I am also wondering since I am pretty clueless about tube amps if I should just go to a nice solid state practice amp when I get it back and just let it go to someone with more knowledge as I do feel very nervous about tube amps for some reason and plus I just play at low volumes in my home. My gigging days are long gone. Thanks for all of the help guys. I love the amp but am thinking about moving on. If anyone is interested just let me know. Thanks guys and have a great night. Talk to you soon.

I've been playing tube amps for over 25 years now and other than one tube failure, I've never even had a tube go out on me while at HOME. If you play it every day, and really want to be "safe" replace the tubes once a year. I don't even do that. I replace them when I think they're getting old and usually test the new ones to see if there's an improvement in tone before I decide whether to leave the new ones in or save them a bit longer. If it does need service, it's almost a fluke. Even good parts to fail, but at a very low rate. You can test and even "burn in" an amp at the factory, and one little part CAN fail a few hours of use later. It's rare, but it does happen.

Keep your great sounding tube amp and 10 years from now you'll be laughing about these fears.

I’m w/DTR on this - if you like the sound of the MT-15, keep plugging away with it. I’ve only had tube amps for 10-15 years, and when I think of how much I struggled to find the tone I like with solid state amps, man, I wish I knew then what I was doing wrong. There are good solid state and modeling amps out there, but for my money, nothing feels like a tube amp.

Just a quick update on the amp. Before I get into that though I would really like to say thank you to everyone here for the support and info regarding the Mt-15 and tube amps in general. Ok are you ready for a good laugh?? The amp went to the shop where purchased and was there for 2 weeks and they did an amazing job checking it inside and out and guess what.......Not a damn thing wrong with it! Just as I should have known as a new tube amp user. It was actually a faulty cord which I thought I had checked but missed apparently when freaking out thinking it just had to be the amp lol! Anyway, I love the amp and just got finished jamming with my Tremonti SE and my Charvel 375 which I just purchased and oh man does it sound killer through the MT-15! I am officially in tone heaven. Got some pedals on the way from Santa and am thinking I may be in my jam room all holiday long. Have a wonderful holiday season everybody and thanks for being so amazing.

Just a quick update on the amp. Before I get into that though I would really like to say thank you to everyone here for the support and info regarding the Mt-15 and tube amps in general. Ok are you ready for a good laugh?? The amp went to the shop where purchased and was there for 2 weeks and they did an amazing job checking it inside and out and guess what.......Not a damn thing wrong with it! Just as I should have known as a new tube amp user. It was actually a faulty cord which I thought I had checked but missed apparently when freaking out thinking it just had to be the amp lol! Anyway, I love the amp and just got finished jamming with my Tremonti SE and my Charvel 375 which I just purchased and oh man does it sound killer through the MT-15! I am officially in tone heaven. Got some pedals on the way from Santa and am thinking I may be in my jam room all holiday long. Have a wonderful holiday season everybody and thanks for being so amazing.

Sweet! Crank it up!

1st off congrats to you, this is truly a stellar amp as you now know. It’s not just a stellar amp due to the price either......I’ve had a lot of amps over the last 5-years & this is the top-2 for sure!!!

I want to thank you for having the balls to post your reply here too. It’s very cool of you to share this info as it could happen to anyone at all. There are so many factors in getting a great tone or end sound.

This will help others when they read it...

Again, congrats to you....

X

Back