PRS MT-15 Amp Head Won’t Turn On

Cole Meachem

I own a MT-15 amp head and it was working great and I loved it, until one day I went to turn it on and nothing happened. So I’ve checked the tubes and they all look good and checked the main fuses with a multimeter (painted white so couldn’t see if it was blown) and they all created a circuit, so now I am stuck and I’m not sure where to go from here. Has anyone with this amp any similar problems? Or does anyone have any advice on what to check next? Any help would be appreciated.

First, please clarify: Doesn’t come on? Or comes on but doesn’t make sound?

Ok, I was wondering because you said you checked the tubes.

If it doesn't come on at all, it's probably somewhere in the very early power stages. Chord/plug, plug into the back of the amp, fuse, input diodes... have you opened it up? If the fuses are good, there are probably only a couple things that could make it get no power at all.

Honestly if you are unsure about electricity and electronics, please have a qualified tech look at it. Tube amps have high voltages inside them.

But if you understand it then start at the basics. Fuses are the start. If they are blown. Ask why before you replace them. If they are not then next test the power switch.

I did open it up and tested the fuses with a multimeter since the glass is painted white and you cannot see inside; they did complete a circuit so I don’t believe they are blown. I triple checked the outlet it was plugged into and power cables to make sure everything was properly plugged in. I’ve only had to amp for about a week and a half and it didn’t cut out while turned on, it just hasn’t turned on since I last turned it off. I might end up having to take it to an amp tech to have a look but I just wanted to see if there’s any clear possibilities that I may have missed. Thank you very much for your help so far

Echoing above, if you're not used to working on valve amps don't open it up, take it to a tech for a service. It could be something silly like the power switch has died. That would be my main guess if it was working fine and the fuse(s) are intact. Hopefully it's not a power trans. problem

Yeah... bad power and/or output transformers always make for a sad day at the proverbial office... aCk!!!

Did you buy it new? If I'd only had it a week or two it would be going back for exchange for another one.

I own a MT-15 amp head and it was working great and I loved it, until one day I went to turn it on and nothing happened. So I’ve checked the tubes and they all look good and checked the main fuses with a multimeter (painted white so couldn’t see if it was blown) and they all created a circuit, so now I am stuck and I’m not sure where to go from here. Has anyone with this amp any similar problems? Or does anyone have any advice on what to check next? Any help would be appreciated.
Did you check the fuse that is located below the socket for the power cord?

Mine did the same thing right before the pandemic waiting to see if the store will make it right. Did you figure out what it was? The call from the store manager told my wife it was the power transformer.

Back