Prs moving away from V12?

I heard it was made from the tears of virgin unicorns.

So it kind of upsets me that they stopped using it. But if it had issues then I guess it’s for the best...
Yeah, my bad there aren't any virgin unicorns any more - that one night was one h3ll of a bender, though!

On a different note, my (used to be Bodia's) 2015 P245SH should have V12 finish, IIRC.

But like Les, I don't really care, as long as it looks and sounds great, which is true!

PRS nitro finishes (DGT Nitro?) are, afaik, nitro over a poly coat. Am I correct or did I misunderstand it?
My McCarty has V12 finish and I like it. No issues so far.
I have all 3. V12, Urethane and Nitro topcoat. The V12 feels good and not as cold and hard feeling as the Urethane. The Nitro probably feels the best but is not as slick on the neck as the V12. On my 2006 Singlecut I have lightly sanded the neck for a satin feel. I think my preference for a new PRS would be satin nitro. I'm just not so much into the high gloss finishes anymore and the nitro would have a good feel.

Paul has moved on from V12. It's similar to why we now have Phase III locking tuners and Phase III trems and Adjustable Stoptail Bridge with Brass saddles and 58/15's are now used instead of 57/8 pickups. Paul is constantly refining the product. IIRC, we stopped using V12 in 2013.

Paul has moved on from V12. It's similar to why we now have Phase III locking tuners and Phase III trems and Adjustable Stoptail Bridge with Brass saddles and 58/15's are now used instead of 57/8 pickups. Paul is constantly refining the product. IIRC, we stopped using V12 in 2013.
Wow, I had NO idea :)

SO that means my BM from '13 likely has V12 while my Cu24 from 15 has some new magical finish... Interesting :)

Wow, I had NO idea :)

SO that means my BM from '13 likely has V12 while my Cu24 from 15 has some new magical finish... Interesting :)

I had no idea too. Then what finish the newly done core guitars have?

The finish, including V12, has always been various formulas consisting of a polyester base coat and an acrylic urethane top coat. It's just that the exact recipe gets tweaked periodically. I's a similar story with nitrocellulose. The nitro that's being used today by many manufacturers, is quite a bit a different from the nitro of yore. The finish used before V12 was never named and the finish we've used since V12 hasn't been named either.

Back