Prs moving away from V12?

Elliot

Gandalf the Vintage Yellow
A lot of people noticed that the silver sky does not have a v12 finished body.

Shawn said something about PRS moving away from V12 years ago... Lots of 2018 guitars are still coming out with a V12 finish or at least dealers are saying it’s V12. I don’t think I’ve seen any finish other than v12 on the standard core and artist models for the past couple years.

Anyone know anything or willing to speculate?

Shawn might be able to set the record straight and put this thread to bed pretty quick.

Edit: this may be just my own personal knowledge gap I guess. Let’s see what you guys say.

I am also very interested in this. V12 is quite nice, but I know that PRS initially had some issues with the finish. Perhaps this is just the latest iteration of V12.

I think it’s v12 on the body and a nitro neck?

I remember reading that amongst the insults!

I believe V12 was quietly retired after the finish flaking that occurred on some guitars. They used to list it in the specs for each guitar, but all mentions of V12 on the site have been gone for years now.

I believe V12 was quietly retired after the finish flaking that occurred on some guitars. They used to list it in the specs for each guitar, but all mentions of V12 on the site have been gone for years now.

Any reference for the finish flaking? I hadn't heard that.

Most dealers still say V12 finish on their guitars.

I believe he said standard polyester base and acrylic top.

yup

edit: I should say, most dealers either say V12, or don't mention the finish composition at all.

Last edited:
Any reference for the finish flaking? I hadn't heard that.

Pretty old news. Years ago now. But, some of the initial runs of V12 guitars had guitars where the top coat would peel completely off. It was mostly the necks that were prone and it usually started where the rosewood board met the mahogany. Again..very old news.

Customer support centre quotes v12 used on guitars since 2010, unless it’s not been updated on their website.

Last edited:
Customer support centre quotes v12 used on guitars since 2010, unless it’s not been updated on their website.

It’s not been updated. Shawn said that the Silver Sky uses the exact same finish as all current Core and Artist guitars do at this point.

I have no idea when the changeover occurred; in fact, I had no idea it even happened until he said so. It’s one of those non-issues for me. As long as the guitar sounds good, feels right, looks nice, I’m on board.

Some of my guitars are PS, and have nitro finishes that are pretty darn nice - not sticky, not flaking off, feel right, etc. I have a couple of recent 594s with what’s evidently the new finish, and it certainly meets all my criteria for a nice guitar finish.

Dealers who state the finish is V12 on their websites are simply in error. It happens!

Does anybody know what the V12 finish was even composed of? Just curious

I think the original supply was black market unicorns from China, they are up to no good unicorns.
you just have to make sure that you get the real stuff.

RcSexMq.png

3EDyWo5.png

I want to say it was a blend of nitro
and something unusual, fiberglass or something? I know that sounds very odd but I swear I heard such a thing.

It’s not been updated. Shawn said that the Silver Sky uses the exact same finish as all current Core and Artist guitars do at this point.

I have no idea when the changeover occurred; in fact, I had no idea it even happened until he said so. It’s one of those non-issues for me. As long as the guitar sounds good, feels right, looks nice, I’m on board.

Some of my guitars are PS, and have nitro finishes that are pretty darn nice - not sticky, not flaking off, feel right, etc. I have a couple of recent 594s with what’s evidently the new finish, and it certainly meets all my criteria for a nice guitar finish.

Dealers who state the finish is V12 on their websites are simply in error. It happens!
Cool.

The new stuff is better. Now they only use the tears of PINK virgin unicorns.

Brian just posted your Ex-PS santana on instagram. She looks great. You trading in for something or just thinning?

Brian just posted your Ex-PS santana on instagram. She looks great. You trading in for something or just thinning?

Maybe a little of both. The intent was thinning. Sending it to him on consignment was like ripping off the bandage. I couldn't bring myself to list it, or any others, so I did the hardest one first!

Back