PRS Modern Eagle Quatro(?)

django49

I may have a chance to pick one up at what (I suppose) is a fair price. Are these still on the "highly desirable" list? Or has time marched on? I know the 53/10s, generally, get favorable comments.

Do you highly desire it? If so then who gives a crap who else wants one or doesn't....

Reactions: LJD
If it calls you by your secret name, then it's desirable.

I got a Quatro a few years ago and it took me weeks to get used to it. It's a very different ride. It was calling my name, but in a different language, and at first I didn't understand it. I've been playing Hollowbodies and McCartys for many years.

The MEQ's rosewood neck makes a big difference. Astonishing clarity and piano-like lows on the bottom end into a big clean amp. Brilliant glassy highs on the top. Sustain for days. Lightning attack, zero bloom.

I found it was not a "strummy" rhythm guitar. Too much sustain, all the notes and overtones seemed to fight each other. Then I started fingerpicking and separating all the notes: astonishing clarity and voicing. Partial chords, single-note lines, especially into loud clean amps: I've never heard such immediate clarity. I even took it down to D Standard tuning (with .011s) and it maintained its clarity.

I met PRSH at a local appearance and he concurred with me on the clarity and attack. He added that the 53/10s are an excellent combination for the rosewood neck. I have to agree.

I can post some professional pictures of my MEQ, but then you'd be drooling over its looks and not its voice. It's flawless, of course, but that's what PRS does with all its guitars.

=K

I have a Quatro and a CU24 Artist and can attest they are very amazing guitars but very different as well. I agree with everything kiwi said. The rosewood neck is amazing, but when unplugged, it is really loud. The 53/10s seem to have a warmer more vintage feel to them. They do not over-drive nearly as much as my JPXI with the exact same settings (Marshall JVM 205C). It has a wider fretboard than the CU24.

i have a 53/10 limited edition and its a great guitar. the pickups are definitely vintage voiced but handle gain nicely. as said above, who cares if they are a highly desirable guitar. i do see them get sold fairly quickly if they are the right price

Since everyone's had a chance to digest my words of wisdom ... On with the show! ;) Photo credit to my friend David Campbell, a//k/a Dumeril Seven, who's an even better guitar player than he is a stellar photographer:

Wow-20110531.png

It is a beautiful guitar, but that's only part of what makes it great. It plays and sounds great! Mine looks similar to the one pictured above, but with a trem, a huge plus for me. It's a serious guitar, and I'm actually feeling a little guilty about negotiating a price lower than the ask with the very nice seller on Reverb.

In this case, market values are not matching intrinsic values if you're truly going to play the guitar (as opposed to just stashing it away in your collection). I have a guitars that cost more, but to me, my PRS MEQ is the most valuable guitar I own, and hard to replace because of the rarity of the awesome 53/10 pickups. I truly would not sell it for 4x what I just paid.

It's perfect for me at the moment. But all this is highly personal. That said, if you find and buy one today at current market pricing levels, I'm sure it will be a sound investment.

I just found one used, I asked about it in the music show but no one knew really.... it sounds great!!! I'm getting it :) post photos later.

Last edited:
Back