PRS Models with "Pattern" Neck Profile?

SonicBlue

I'm the proud new owner of a 2018 PRS HB II Piezo that I just can't put down. One of my favorite things is the neck, which is "PATTERN" - not to be confused with "Pattern Thin", "Pattern Regular" or "Pattern Vintage".

Current core models with Pattern necks are: Custom 22, McCarty, Hollowbody II Piezo, 408, Paul's Guitars
No SE, S2 or Bolt On models have Pattern necks, though some have Wide Fat profiles.
Unfortunately it appears you can't get a Custom24 or 594 in a Pattern neck.
  • Is there a source or model matrix that could indicate all past models that have the "PATTERN" neck?
  • Has each model's neck profile changed over the years or are they fairly consistent year over year?
  • This page on PRS site indicates Pattern is similar to "Wide-Fat" necks made before Pattern was released. Has anyone played both that can comment?
I never new a neck could be such a big deal until now, but this one just works for me. I have a McCarty 594, which is "Pattern Vintage" - I like the neck, it's neutral and never uncomfortable... but I absolutely love the pattern neck on the HB II. It feels like home.

neck-carves-jpg.6478

My S2 Vela neck profile is much like my other WF / Pattern necks.
Depending on the guitar the Pattern has a more worn in feeling, bit rounder at the fretboard edges.
Other guitars with the WF profile I've had

Single Cut Trem
Modern Eagle II
SC58

Have you tried the Pattern Regular necks? I think you might like them. The Pattern Vintage has a asymmetrical carve. Although I still haven’t tried a Pattern Vintage neck, in my experience asymmetrical carves can make a neck feel a bit slimmer than they really are. The Pattern Regular should have a similar depth to the Pattern. The Pattern Regular is just a hair slimmer at the nut (27/32” wearers 28/32” on the Pattern). https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/neck_profiles I know those numbers don’t match your shared picture, so I sharing the source where I got it from. Funny thing is because of the shame/geometry of the two carves, the Pattern actually feel a tad slimmer than the Pattern Regular. I think it has to do with the Pattern Regular being rounder and the shape of the shoulder of the carve. I think you should flag a Pattern Regular near you and try it. I believe all S2s have Pattern Regular carves and some CU24 come with Pattern Regular necks. If you end up liking the Pattern Regular neck, you could then get your CU24 with that neck profile. As for a 594, you can go with the McCarty instead. Other differences are, longer scale (25”), one piece adjustable bridge, two control knobs, location of 3-way toggle (lowwer bout), synthetic nut, and slightly slimmer body, yet thicker than the Custom models. I’m a huge fan on the McCarty. It’s my favorite PRS among the ones I’ve tried thus far. I’m getting my 594 this week, so we’ll see if I’ll end up with a new favorite.

I have basically one of each neck shapes...

Pattern - My 2018 Hollowbody ii with Piezo, one piece maple top and back and 58/15 LT's
Pattern Thin - My 2018 Custom 24 with 85/15's
Pattern Regular - My 2017 PRS 509
Pattern Vintage - My 2016 McCarty 594 with 58/15 LT's

The only difference there is between the Pattern and Pattern Regular is 1/32" - which is 0.79mm at the nut and by the time you reach the body, there is NO difference at all. That means that you have less than half (0.4mm) on either side of the nut extra on the Pattern compared to the Pattern Regular. I know Guitarists can often tell if something is 'out' or too wide or narrow, thick or thin by tiny amounts but less than half a mm either side at the nut - which obviously becomes a smaller difference the close to the body as its identical there - so isn't a night and day difference to me. If I didn't have the measurements above, I could conceivably believe Pattern and Pattern Regular were the same.

Pattern seems to be a bit of both Regular and Thin - ie you get the same width at the nut as the Pattern Thin but same depth as the Pattern Regular. Pattern Vintage also shares the same nut width as the Thin and Pattern, but is thicker when it meets the body (as well as the asymmetric carve) Pattern Regular has a very slightly slimmer neck at the Nut 1-21/32" compared to 1-22/32" (or 11/16 as they have it written).

Point is, as far as I am concerned anyway and having ALL (current) neck types, they are ALL very similar and why I can Pick up any of my PRS and feel very comfortable. The 'biggest' difference between two of my guitars is swapping between my 594 and Custom 24 - mostly because of the carve of the 594 and thinner neck of the Cu24. As for swapping between my Hollowbody ii and 509, if I didn't know the 509 was narrower at the nut by nearly 0.8mm, I wouldn't have noticed. Maybe that's me but the two that do feel a 'bit' different (regardless of which guitar I am playing so inc the 509,HBii) are the Cu24 and 594 - just because of the thinner Cu24 and the thicker asymmetric carve of the 594. I really wouldn't worry about the fractionally thinner neck of a Pattern Regular (its only 1/32nd" or 4/5ths of a mm) - if you do go looking to add to your PRS Guitar collection. The Pattern Thin seems to be limited to the Custom 24 and more common than the Pattern Regular version. To me that seems to be the most 'different' compared to what you already have (not inc the Silver Sky - not sure of the neck carve but the radius is 7.25") and any Pattern/Pattern Regular guitars should feel incredibly similar despite the slightly narrower nut width.

I just associate the Thin carve with my Custom 24 and Asymmetric neck with my 594, and as for the 509 and HBii, I tend not to even think about the neck and just associate the 'features' more - the 509 switching and PU configuration and the Piezo, lighter weighted hollowbody of the other. Maybe its because both of the necks are not that different from each other and that these are both more unusual in other areas, that those features stops me even thinking about the necks. As soon as I pick up the 509 I am more aware of the PU configuration and with the HBii, its the light weight and Piezo option - the necks are just there - comfortable but nothing jumps out to me - I don't want to use unremarkable because that seems like a negative but there is nothing that 'jumps' out as much or differentiates themselves from 'standard'.

Great info thank you. I was surprised how different my 594's pattern vintage neck feels from the Pattern neck on the HB II, so even slight differences can be pretty significant in the hands. I'll hit guitar center's high roller room and see what they have. They usually have half a dozen PRS core models there.

Is there a good all-inclusive reference for past models and what necks they have? You'd think PRS would have something like that available.

Great info thank you. I was surprised how different my 594's pattern vintage neck feels from the Pattern neck on the HB II, so even slight differences can be pretty significant in the hands. I'll hit guitar center's high roller room and see what they have. They usually have half a dozen PRS core models there.

Is there a good all-inclusive reference for past models and what necks they have? You'd think PRS would have something like that available.

As I said, the two that stand out as different is the 594 - mainly because its 'thicker' and has an Asymmetric carve and the Pattern Thin - because it is thinner. The width at the nut though is the same, the width at the body is the same, the radius is the same - although the scale length is different and, if its stock Strings, your HBii will be 11's with a wound 3rd (G) string. The only neck that is different in terms of width at the nut is the Pattern Regular.

The point I was making is that the guitars that feel different from a 'standard' are the 'Thin' and the 'Vintage'. I say 'Standard', as the Pattern and Pattern Regular are very 'standard' necks. They are not too wide or thin, not too thin or to thick, not irregular or asymmetric - nothing that you can say particularly jumps out as being particularly 'different' - they are just standard necks - maybe why the HBii felt like 'home' to you because there is nothing particularly different from any other 'regular/standard' necks.

The 594 does jump out - as I said - because it is 'different' thanks to the asymmetric carve and being a bit chunkier too and the Cu24 neck does jump out because its a bit thinner. Its like Playing a chunky broken in Les Paul neck and then playing an Ibanez Wizard neck (not quite that extreme) where as the Pattern & Pattern Regular are just 'nondescript', quite standard necks that fit somewhere in the middle of those.

I am not being negative about the Pattern and Pattern Regular but the only way to describe them is 'standard' necks that are very stable, comfortable for many because they are not too wide or too narrow, not too thick or too thin. The fact that they are so 'middle of the road' so to speak, means that you don't really notice the neck, its not really a feature as such - its just a very stable, comfortable, middle of the road neck. That allows you to focus more on the 'features' else where. You don't have to worry about whether its too thick or thin, too wide or skinny so leaves you to focus in whether the guitar offers you the tones you want or other features. Its no secret that after years of repairing Strats and Les Pauls, PRS took the best of both of these and built his guitars around this. The Scale Length of 25" is between the two as well so it stands to reason that the Pattern and Pattern Regular are quite 'standard' necks - maybe why he settled on using the 'term' Regular as well. Pattern is just a term to indicate they are cut with a 'pattern' which is repeatable and consistent.

To reiterate what I said in my first reply, and again in this, the two necks that do stand out because they are noticeably 'different' is the Vintage and the Thin where as the two others, Pattern and Pattern Regular, are very standard, nondescript necks that probably feel like 'home' because they are so 'standard' and regular when coming from a multitude of other electric guitars. That's not a 'bad' thing at all - you can't deny that the necks are incredibly stable, comfortable and with the attention to fret work and rolled edges, the actual neck doesn't stand out as being 'something'. As soon as you pick up a PRS and run your hand up and down the neck (as we do), you don't really focus on the actual neck anymore because its just a good but regular/standard neck. Your attention then goes straight to something else and don't really think about the neck anymore.

With the Vintage and Thin, these necks do stand out because they are 'features' - whether that's the chunkier asymmetrical carve or the thinner carve - these stand-out because of that. This is why I said you should find any Pattern or Pattern Regular like 'home' because they are so 'regular', so standard, 'normal', 'Middle of the Road', nondescript necks that you immediately focus on something else about the guitar. I struggle to find anything more to really say about these necks (as far as shape goes) because they are so 'regular' - not skinny or wide, not thick or thin - just a regular neck that most (if not all) will be 'comfortable' with. In most reviews too, I notice that they don't really have a lot to say with these necks unless they also include the fretboard, the frets, the woods (especially if its a flame maple neck) where as they will mention more about the thin and especially the Vintage necks.

I again have written far more than I intended or probably merited so the TLDR of BOTH is that the Vintage and Thin do standout more as being 'different' and a 'feature' where as the Pattern and Pattern Regular are so middle of the road that they feel like a 'standard' neck with the quality and stability that you expect from a PRS.

@Mozzi is spot on. If you love the Pattern neck, I conjecture you’ll like the Pattern Regular as well. I tend to really notice asymmetrical neck carves and I tend to really enjoy them. In general, it is a noticible positive feature for me. So if you like the more “traditional/standard” feel of the Pattern neck, I’d guess you’ll also like the Pattern Regular.

Hmm
I find the Pattern Reg ( standard ) neck OK but the extra beef however small just works better for me, (I long for a Pattern or better yet Wide Fat CU24)
I can play them all but the Santana , 513 and the Wide Fat are my Fav and will go out of my way to find them steering clear of the Pattern Thin and Wide Thin when I can.
The Standard on my Brushstroke 24 and the DGT carve I have on a couple of guitars are just fine but sometimes the extra width makes chording easier for me.

So you are familiar with the Pattern Regular, then. I too prefer the Pattern over the Pattern Regular, albeit the small difference. I can also see why some people are indifferent between those two. To me, I think it's the geometry/shape of the Pattern neck profile that does it for me, especially the edges of the neck. I just like it a bit better.

Pattern neck fan here as well thanks to the HBII.
I dig my 594 pattern vintage as well for certain things, but the pattern neck is definitely home.

Really wish there were a few more model options with pattern necks.

The “pattern” shape is by far my favorite. So much so I’m holding out for only PRS models with this neck shape. I’d love to see a P90 594 with a pattern neck.

This link will take you to the model history, which often indicates the neck profiles used on the various models. However, not all models are listed, and there are often times that different neck profiles are offered on a model beyond what was considered stock.

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/model_history

You also asked:

• This page on PRS site indicates Pattern is similar to "Wide-Fat" necks made before Pattern was released. Has anyone played both that can comment?
I have both, and frankly I don't really feel the difference. If anything, I can feel more variation between two particular instances of a Wide Fat neck than I can between the general feel of WF vs Pattern.

The PV carve on my 594 was probably the first time I said to myself "wow, that neck feels just right". I didn't really think to myself "oh, this is PV, and it should feel different". Instead, the first time I played the guitar I realized how much that neck carve seems to be ergonomically perfect (for my style, for my hands).

I can feel, if I consciously think about it, the difference between Pattern and Pattern Vintage. And similarly, between WF and WT (or Pattern and Pattern Thin). And I think my P24 is Pattern Regular, vs the "Regular" on my SAS.

But usually I just pick up the guitar and play.

Back