PRS MIRA Vs PRS MIRA S2

TiagoFIgueiredo

Hello all and thanks for reading my topic.

Im intending to buy a new guitar for practising and learning and i had my eyes on the mira for a while. my biggest doubt is between the old version and the new version. Read alot in the forum about the first mira being awesome and that new verion s2 doest quite sound that good. Got told that getting a good deal in a used one could be very nice. And also heard the mira x is lighter but its not so good sounding.

I would like to get some opinions from the most experienced here in the forum to helping me make my final decision

Opinions are very welcomed yall !

TKS
:)

I haven't heard that the S2 Mira sounds bad. In fact I've heard good things about them. My old school Mira does sound great. You can find them used at very good prices, but wouldn't shy away from the S2 if you want a new one.

Although there are probably subtle differences that might be observable or at least measureable, AFAICT the main difference in Core Miras from the S2 line is the number of frets: 24 on the original Core Mira, and 22 on the (core) Mira X and the S2 Mira.

So if you want 24 frets, you have to go old school...otherwise the S2 seems like a really good guitar.

Mira's never had a trem (except after-market or PS) - I guess they are stop-tail-only models in PRSh's mind.

Here's the original Mira:

http://www.prsguitars.com/mira/

front.jpg

Here's the S2:

http://www.prsguitars.com/s2mira/

mccarty_tobacco_sunburst.jpg

I dunno, other than the pick guard, which is a different shape partly to account for the different pick-up positions and resultant knob positions, looks pretty well the same guitar, shape-wise. Maybe the 22 vs 24 frets throws some folks off? As you can see, the bridge is "lower" in the body on the S2, due to the shorter 22-fret neck, and the pickups are closer together on the original Mira because the get squeezed together for the extra two frets...

think i might go for the new ones s2........ why cant we get them with a tremolo ?

Some people say that the first version of the mira is much more visual appealing and the second one is uglier, i guess i gotta see it myself

Anyone can tell me if this is the first version, or the s2 ?

http://platinum.guitarcenter.com/Guitars/view_listing.cfm?prodId=5730&subCat=&type=
That's the first version. I've had great experiences with both versions. I had an unbelievable experience with the original version though...could've just been that particular guitar though, hard to say. shinksma has a valid point on the 22 vs. 24 fret part. 22 fret will give you a more "traditional" and slightly deeper tone on the neck pickup. I'm a 22 fret guy normally, but something about that original version just had an awesome vibe. They're both very nice guitars though, either way, you'll be getting a very nice guitar.

Almost making my mind now.................. tough i still would like to try the new s2.....

image.jpg

this is the one i want.......

PRS Mira STD Moons Aged White

Now this is the first version so, not available anymore for sale i belive.......... so i truly doubt i can get my hand on it............. my prefered choice is white w white pickguard, now i know i can get the s2 antique white but seems not to be the same......

So......im doomed to wait for ages till i find one of these luckily maybe on the used marked.........

brrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
Yeah the frets are different........ but also i get the feel without having seen them live yet, the the first white version, aged white is a bit different from the new s2 colour antique white......

does anyone know the answer for this one ? or am i wrong ?

Basically im looking for a S2 mira in white, with white pickguard.....looked all over the place and havent found one yet..... (only the discountinued s1 aged white)

opinions are welcomed

Last edited:
Yeah the frets are different........ but also i get the feel without having seen them live yet, the the first white version, aged white is a bit different from the new s2 colour antique white......

does anyone know the answer for this one ? or am i wrong ?

Basically im looking for a S2 mira in white, with white pickguard.....looked all over the place and havent found one yet..... (only the discountinued s1 aged white)

opinions are welcomed

Assuming the antique white in the S2 Mira is identical to the other S2s, it's definitely more of an off white color. And I'm pretty sure that all S2s come with a black pickguard, however the PRS shop does have replacements in White, Pearloid, and Tortoise. http://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/s2-parts/products/s2-mira-pickguard

Don't think there's any body thickness difference, I think they're the same. Not sure on the shades of white. The only original Mira I've seen in white is a LTD on www.reverb.com -but that's jet white and super expensive.

Back