PRS Metals Too Much

orionz06

Anyone find that the \m/ pickups are just way too much output? I got a Cu24 with them because the top and color were desirable but the pickups aren't quite agreeing with me. The sound is decent and the cleans are better than expected but it's still just a little too compressed. Not sure which way to go as they were smoked nickel covers and they match the hardware.

Thoughts?

Also not sure which pickups to replace them with. 85/15 might be something but at the same time I'm in love with Bare Knuckles. Anything that PRS offers that might be a good, classic pickup that can range from punk rock to classic rock to some metalish stuff like Tool? Bands like Bigwig, NOFX, Tool, Pink Floyd, and Pennywise?

Anyone find that the \m/ pickups are just way too much output? I got a Cu24 with them because the top and color were desirable but the pickups aren't quite agreeing with me. The sound is decent and the cleans are better than expected but it's still just a little too compressed. Not sure which way to go as they were smoked nickel covers and they match the hardware.

Thoughts?

Also not sure which pickups to replace them with. 85/15 might be something but at the same time I'm in love with Bare Knuckles. Anything that PRS offers that might be a good, classic pickup that can range from punk rock to classic rock to some metalish stuff like Tool? Bands like Bigwig, NOFX, Tool, Pink Floyd, and Pennywise?
I have the 85/15's in my Custom 24 and they are a very versatile pickup. Quite capable of attaining the tones you mention.

57/08s, 59/09s, 58/15s 85/15s etc. Think there's plenty of PRS options out there. I have 53/10s in mine which are towards the lower output side and I'd say they'd do what you want too. It's easier to add in compression when you want it with a pedal than to take it away

I have tried a lot of the prs pickups over the years and feel the 5909 bridge is incredible. I think the T and B pickups are nice too but I haven't really spent time with them in gig situations which really tell a better story.

8515 is my all time favorite neck pickup with 5708 neck a close 2nd

If you want to keep a good match with the smoked hardware, I'd say 59/09 for the hotter side or 85/15 if you are patient enough to find a used pair on Reverb, etc. 57/08 are great for that classic sound, but the covers won't match.

I would be inclined to pick my favorite set of Bare Knuckles. Either uncovered, or I think black screws with brushed nickel covers wood look cool as hell:
6788911-d313c4d-da39a3e_823_550.jpg

A lot of the bands you mentioned are using pickups that are just as hot or hotter than the M.

If the pickup is hitting the amp too hard then try turning the volume knob on your guitar down.

Keep in mind that low output humbuckers typically produce a lot less midrange than overwound humbuckers. Nicer for cleans, but kind of suck for higher gain IMO.

Last edited:
The BKP brushed nickel oxidize very quickly. They definitely don't look like that photo for long.

They'll just need some polishing with Blue Magic from time to time. I had a set of Suhr Thornbuckers with the raw covers and, while they retained a bit of patina, a little polish worked wonders on them.

Before you rewire, try backing the pickups farther from the strings. Remember, you're fine tuning a hot rod. Don't be afraid of experimenting with raising or lowering the pole pieces in addition.

I'm all for the PRS pickups, but I have Duncans in my Custom 22, a Custom 5 in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck, and have been pretty happy with that set up. You can easily find those used for cheap, maybe $120 for a set? Buy uncovered ones and add your own covers.

apiaky1vq__28021.1416098842.1280.1280.jpg

Try lowering the pickups first, you might be surprised by the results...
Sometimes changing the pickups is not necessary...

I do not know but I love how the \m/ pickups sound in my PRS floyd. Best guitar sounding I have and cleans are great too. But again, I have been exposed to too few different pickups so perhaps I have not discovered heaven yet :)

Back