PRS Metal

SRP67

I was in a fender strat forum and saw a lot of post referring to PRS as a metal guitar......I was surprised to read that.

I knew a lot of metal bands use PRS but didn't realize it was viewed as a metal guitar like ESP and Jackson

There are a whole lot of metal bands that use PRSi. It's really turning into a great all around instrument. You have several country bands playing PRSi, some fusion guys, rock and metal guys playing them also.

I'm the dealer for Costa Rica and get that a lot. Basically other stores want to put PRS in a niche as they can't argue it is a better guitar. Had to give a piece of my mind to a guy that posted that PRS are not made like they use to and had a picture of a CE bolt on. Had to clarify that a CE is a fine guitar, but PRS have always been set necks, and they are improved every single year.

I knew a lot of metal bands use PRS but didn't realize it was viewed as a metal guitar like ESP and Jackson

Ridiculous.

Is Carlos Santana a metal player? How about David Grissom, or Howard Leese? Or Al Dimeola, or Brent Mason?

It amazes me that people buy into just about any nonsense they read online.

Yes, you can play metal on a PRS, and you can also play metal on any other electric guitar.

Last edited:
Jim Root and John 5 (Lowrey) both use Telecastors, are they in country bands or has the Tele gone metal?

I guess if it has emg 81/85 doesn't really matter which guitar it is.

Metal might also be referring to one of the first runs of PRS guitars in the mid 80's. They had elaborate metallic paint finishes...

I was in a fender strat forum and saw a lot of post referring to PRS as a metal guitar......I was surprised to read that.

I agree that PRS are great for metal but I wouldn't classify them as a "metal" guitar. Any brand can be used for metal. PRS are branching out however with offerings such as the "\m/" pickups, the Floyd Custom 24 models, etc. so maybe that's why they're getting lumped into the metal category.

Just checked all of mine - no metal guitars. All wood. Zemaitis is a metal guitar.

Jim Root and John 5 (Lowrey) both use Telecastors, are they in country bands or has the Tele gone metal?

I wouldn't use John 5 as an example - dude can play frigging anything on anything and make it awesome. Plus, he used to be in kd lang's band, so he was at least a little bit country...

Now he's a little bit rock and roll.

PRS Metal :rock:

attachment.php

People are making judgements based on the look of the instrument. With its double cutaway design and its sharp-pointed headstock shape, the original PRS looks radical in comparison to the more rounded, classic Strat, Tele, and Les Paul shapes. The fact that PRS's first mass-market model was a 24-fret guitar with very high-output pickups only adds to that perception. And to be fair, it seems like metal players really adopted the instruments en masse before anyone else did.

What's interesting to me is that I'm seeing a lot of country artists playing PRS these days, much moreso than mainstream rock/pop players.

Back