PRS Metal bridge pickup

maxime1122

Hello,

I received my first PRS Custom 24 Floyd that has the metal pickup set.

They sound good, but I was surprised when testing the DC resistance on the pickups. The neck pickup is around 8.4K and the bridge pickup is around 8.2K.

I was expecting the bridge pickup to be around 16K. Both of the coils are working as I get sound when tapping on both of them. The stickers under the pickup is saying Metal Treble.

Any ideas what would cause that? I’m writting to PRS since this is a new guitar.

Thanks!

Hello,

I received my first PRS Custom 24 Floyd that has the metal pickup set.

They sound good, but I was surprised when testing the DC resistance on the pickups. The neck pickup is around 8.4K and the bridge pickup is around 8.2K.

I was expecting the bridge pickup to be around 16K. Both of the coils are working as I get sound when tapping on both of them. The stickers under the pickup is saying Metal Treble.

Any ideas what would cause that? I’m writting to PRS since this is a new guitar.

Thanks!

Is this a brand new guitar? Is the split sound different than humbucking sound? It sounds like there may be a short so one of the coils is always grounded, or that it’s a bad install and the split was installed incorrectly and always on. Can you post a couple pics of the control cavity? I do electronics for a living, might be able to give you more info with pics. I have had \m/ treble pickups in 2 guitars and both clocked in around 15.4-15.8k ohms. Killer bridge pickups.

Is this a brand new guitar? Is the split sound different than humbucking sound? It sounds like there may be a short so one of the coils is always grounded, or that it’s a bad install and the split was installed incorrectly and always on. Can you post a couple pics of the control cavity? I do electronics for a living, might be able to give you more info with pics. I have had \m/ treble pickups in 2 guitars and both clocked in around 15.4-15.8k ohms. Killer bridge pickups.
That’s the thing, it sounds like a humbucker and if I hit to screw or the pole on both coils, they are working…

It looks like a mislabel for another neck pickup, that’s my guess. I don’t hear noise like a single coil and the sound is close to the neck pickup, just at the bridge.

I can post pictures for sure!

That’s the thing, it sounds like a humbucker and if I hit to screw or the pole on both coils, they are working…

It looks like a mislabel for another neck pickup, that’s my guess. I don’t hear noise like a single coil and the sound is close to the neck pickup, just at the bridge.

I can post pictures for sure!

I agree, it sounds like they put a \m/ neck pickup in the bridge by mistake. PRS Is really good about this kind of stuff though, let us know what you find out. My guess is they will have you ship it to PTC, or have your authorized dealer swap it out for the right pickup. Let us know what happens. Good luck!

Back