prs mcCarty

bill cowan

Hi,I am a newbie and i am picking up my McCarty on monday.Changing from Les Paul it does'nt suit me, can't wait.What do you think about it 2004 model

The McCarty is going to be far more comfortable than the Les Paul. Enough so that there are good odds you’ll find yourself playing longer before you put it down.
I can’t comment on 2004 in particular but my 1996 and 2009 are great guitars. The 2004 isn’t going to be substantially different - pickups, maybe the bridge and switching but it is a good platform whatever bits are on it.

My McCarty was a big ergonomic upgrade from my Les Paul.

That said, just don't expect the McCarty to sound like a Les Paul. It gets in the same area, but at the end of the day they each have their own thing going on.

If you’re stepping away from a full-weight, non-chambered Les Paul, the comfort difference will be substantial. Be sure to post pics and your first impressions!

My McCarty was a big ergonomic upgrade from my Les Paul.

That said, just don't expect the McCarty to sound like a Les Paul. It gets in the same area, but at the end of the day they each have their own thing going on.
The Les Paul is not for sale,just need something else :)

I have a 2000 Mccarty. I love the fat neck but I grew tired of the Mccarty bridge pickup.

I had 5909s in it for a while and they sounded really good but then I used it in D and drop C tuning so I tried M pickups and they sounded good as well. Stuck an HFS in it for kicks. Typically dislike that pickup but it sounded surprisingly good in low tunings.

It's tuned to Eb now with 8515s and it is fabulous. Put a prs adjustable bridge and locking posts plus rosewood blingy stuff.

Killer guitar.

The Les Paul is not for sale,just need something else :)

I haven't sold my Les Paul either. It's a totally different vibe for sure.

That said, 90% of the time I'm using my McCarty. I recently took my LP to an audition so I would "look the part" and found myself wishing I had my McCarty the entire time. Between the ergonomics, coil taps, upper fret access, intonation and sustain, I felt my LP was a little bit lacking.

Hi,I am a newbie and i am picking up my McCarty on monday.Changing from Les Paul it does'nt suit me, can't wait.What do you think about it 2004 model

What an exciting day Monday will be for you. I have purchased many GLP's over the years, everything from studios to custom shop. There was just something not quite right with all of them even though I couldn't quite figure it out, and most were sold, traded or given away. When I played my first PRS, a 94 Custom 24, my searching days ended. All I buy now are PRS.

I have an 04 that is plain Jane fantastic. no birds, no fancy top, but it's great. You won't be disappointed. They feel and appear a bit smaller than an LP when wearing one, at least to me, but ergonomically they are worlds ahead. Slightly lighter, a bit brighter yet some claim they are dark sounding. I find mine to be just where I want it to be. Congratualtions!

I have a plain Jain 98 McSoapy and two LP's. I play the McCarty constantly and the LP's occasionally. Just an all around better guitar...and those P90's are nothin' but the truth!

I've had several LP's. None of them sounded good. But I felt I "needed" one in the stable. Finally tried a Heritage H-150. It actually sounded good. Almost as good as my McCarty. But the McCarty feels better.

Back