PRS McCarty / MC58 vs Paul's Guitar

bsharpgrooves

Hey folks just wondering if anyone had experience with both. McCarty (with 57/08 or McCarty pickups) and a Paul's guitar with the 408 pickups. I realize that the 408's are more modern and the split is nicer, but what else?
They are basically the same construction.
Thx

The design of the 408 pickups is more modern, but I don't think that necessarily equates to a more modern tone. The single coil sounds do not drop in volume as a typical coil tap would. I'll let the Paul's/408 experts answer with details.

McCarty's with 57/08s are different from McCartys with the older McCarty pickups in several ways that affect the tone, too. Different finishes, different headstock thicknesses, different tuning machines...57/08s sound a bit more vintage, have more clarity, etc.

The 408s on the Paul's guitar sound very different on the neck pickup regardless of whether they're split or not, having more clarity and are a bit closer to single coil because the pickup senses a narrower section of string, than a typical humbucker. The Paul's guitar bridge pickup is also a little more open and closer to a single coil in tone, as opposed to a standard 408 bridge pickup that's a little closer to a standard humbucker when it's not split.

Splitting the coils on either of the McCartys is less close to a true single coil, and there's a volume drop. Splitting the coils on the Paul's guitar will be a lot closer to a true single coil sound, and there isn't a volume drop.

In terms of the character tone, that's a personal thing. YMMV. We all have our preferences.

SC-58 -- Great playing short scale single cut much easier to play than a LP ( IMHO ) . For me its everything great about a Les Paul but with PRS feel.

408 -- More often than not my go to guitar. The thicker body ( McCarty Thickness ) and the pickup switching just rock
The split sounds are to die for the combo of a split and a hum bucker are very special !!!!
this guitar can do anything.
I have played a Pauls Guitar and for me the bridge pickup was lacking but if you lean toward single coil tones I would go that way they are very punchy

I have only played one MC58 great guitar similar to my MEII spec wise without the IRW neck great sounding guitar if I didn't have the ME I would own a MC58

I've not ever played a SC58, or any single cut for that matter. I much prefer the double cuts and can't really explain why, I just do. But back to what Les said regarding no volume drop when splitting coils on a Paul's, I seem to remember in one of Paul's videos that they accomplish this by adding another 1500 turns to the active coil which maintains volume. Completely logical to me, and makes me wonder why no one else ever thought of that solution before. Or have they? Anybody know? I flat out love the sounds I get out of mine.

Back