PRS Knock-Off?

Strange99

So, I apologize up front as I haven't bought many guitars before. This might be a stupid question. I bought a PRS SE Custom 24 Whale Blue from Guitar Center because I had gift cards and have always wanted a PRS. I just picked it up a few minutes ago. first, the guitar came without the whammy bar altogether. Then I noticed that the frame around the pickups is an ugly yellow color instead of beige. Every other one of these guitars I've seen all have matching pickups and pickup frames. Its a small thing I know, but the yellow frames are really bothering me. Its a beautiful guitar if it weren't for that.

Anyways, I then noticed the guitar says Made in Indonesia which I'd never heard of before and was surprised that there wasn't some sort of serial number plate on the guitar. Did I somehow get a knock-off? I have attached pics for you all to view.

prs1-Copy.jpg

prs2-Copy.jpg
prs3-Copy.jpg
prs4-Copy.jpg

You can rest easy, it is not a knock off. My Chris Robertson SE is also an Indonesian model too. That's where the SEs are being made now. As far as the pickup rings, you can always get replacements in a color that's more to your liking. And the PRS accessory department also carries the tremolo arms for your guitar.

Last edited:
Right On. I appreciate the response. I didn't even want to touch it until I heard something that made me feel a little better. Now I can look forward to putting it to work.

Looks legit, but yeah, those rings are hideous. Looks nice otherwise though!

Yeah those rings are not pleasant. I have the same guitar, with the cream rings. Huge difference.

was surprised that there wasn't some sort of serial number plate on the guitar.

I don't think any PRS has ever had a serial number plate, even the Core and Private stock have them either hand drawn on the headstock or stamped in if the neck is not painted.

You should contact GC to tell them they owe you a trem bar.

Edit: I just saw that EG thread, and it has the serial number on the neck plate, lol. I stand corrected.

Yep. That guitar is legit, GC should have included the trem arm, and IMHO black pickup rings and switch tip would look better on that guitar. Fortunately, those are pretty inexpensive parts.

Aside from too much yellow/white plastic, that's a nice looking guitar. I'm struck by how much today's SE's look like the American made models of yesteryear.

I don't think any PRS has ever had a serial number plate, even the Core and Private stock have them either hand drawn on the headstock or stamped in if the neck is not painted.

You should contact GC to tell them they owe you a trem bar.

Edit: I just saw that EG thread, and it has the serial number on the neck plate, lol. I stand corrected.
CEs had SN plates if I recall correctly.

Anyways, I then noticed the guitar says Made in Indonesia which I'd never heard of before and was surprised that there wasn't some sort of serial number plate on the guitar. Did I somehow get a knock-off? I have attached pics for you all to view.

Indonesia, a Southeast Asian nation made up of thousands of volcanic islands, is home to hundreds of ethnic groups speaking many different languages. It’s known for beaches, volcanoes, Komodo dragons and jungles sheltering elephants, orangutans and tigers. On the island of Java lies Indonesia's vibrant, sprawling capital, Jakarta, and the city of Yogyakarta, known for gamelan music and traditional puppetry.

BTW
I think your pickup rings look ok. If you lived closer, I might even have suggested swapping them over with mine.
Enjoy your C24. Like the colour (also nicer than mine).

The rings kind of look like buttered starchy potatoes...personally, I try to avoid starches, but don't mind them occasionally. I think the cream-colored rings add character, like they had seen a lot of years gigging in smoky bars...perhaps they'd be something the OP would grow into...

Last edited:
Looks to me like those pickup rings are defective, with the yellow stains on them (at least that’s what it looks like in the picture). Since you’re the original owner, I’m willing to bet that PRS Customer Service would send out a new set gratis if you contact them.

That's a nice looking guitar. Make GC cough up a whammy bar, and as Les suggested, contact PRS customer service about the rings. Maybe send them a picture to see if they think the rings are too yellow. Otherwise, welcome aboard and enjoy your new guitar.

Looks to me like those pickup rings are defective, with the yellow stains on them (at least that’s what it looks like in the picture). Since you’re the original owner, I’m willing to bet that PRS Customer Service would send out a new set gratis if you contact them.

So, I had already left a message with PRS before posting on this blog and got no call back. I just called their customer service line, like WTF? and they told me to go pound sand on both the rings and Tremolo arm. Sounds like I'm taking the guitar back. That is terrible customer service.

Yep. That guitar is legit, GC should have included the trem arm, and IMHO black pickup rings and switch tip would look better on that guitar. Fortunately, those are pretty inexpensive parts.

Aside from too much yellow/white plastic, that's a nice looking guitar. I'm struck by how much today's SE's look like the American made models of yesteryear.

Fault lies with both PRS and GC as GC should have done a quality check when they got it, but when I received the guitar it was double boxed showing that PRS forgot the tremolo in the first place. And they are refusing to help.

Back