Prs Knaggs Acoustic Prototype

I don’t know the answers to those questions, but I believe Joe builds current versions of these under his Knaggs brands today - I’ve seen a few in the wild for sale. The Angelus and Tonare were designed by Steve Fischer when he worked at PRS, so I would suspect they are a bit different.

I have no idea how many were made at PRS.
I tried two or three of the first ones made after Joe went out on his own. They were really nice guitars, but it was long enough before I played a Tonare that I can’t really compare them.

Holy wow that's stunning.

Definitely gonna have a different sound to the Tonares/Angeluses of the world...

As mentioned, Joe is still building these, but only "to order" with long lead times I've been told. Acoustics are still a bit of a side project. Was nice of Paul to let him keep the blueprints for these.

Was nice of Paul to let him keep the blueprints for these.

Looks very classy, Strangely (as I thought he signed all PS) no Paul signature either on the headstock or the certificate as far as I can see. So I wonder how much Paul was behind it. GP Guitars are very reputable so I'm sure it's exactly what it says it is, so I'm not questioning anyting about the guitar, just noting the lack of Paul's sig.

Looks very classy, Strangely (as I thought he signed all PS) no Paul signature either on the headstock or the certificate as far as I can see. So I wonder how much Paul was behind it. GP Guitars are very reputable so I'm sure it's exactly what it says it is, so I'm not questioning anyting about the guitar, just noting the lack of Paul's sig.

Interesting observation! The Chesapeake prototypes were very much Joe's own project as I understand it, so could be why Paul didn't necessarily sign all of them...

I thought the backstory was the Chesapeake line was going to be a separate division under PRS before Joe and Paul ultimately decided to part ways? Might explain the lack of Paul’s sig on this prototype.

Last edited:
I bought the backstory was the Chesapeake line was going to be a separate division under PRS before Joe and Paul ultimately decided to part ways? Might explain the lack of Paul’s sig on this prototype.

Would explain it! Whatever the story is it looks really nice. The headstock is really neat and kinda reminds me of an old D'Angleico, which is praise indeed.

Back