PRS In Church?

I decided to exchange the fretless for my Smith Black Tiger for this Sunday, because of how uncoordinated Thursday rehearsal was. Things are going to be hard enough to tighten up without the possibility of me going “pitchy” every now and then. Im also drilling on the grooves on the provided recordings. Im hoping that if I can lay down a rock solid, confident foundation, things might come together.
We are playing one of my favorite songs from a while back. It’s got a nice groove that gets you moving.
And, I confess that I embellish on it a bit…

Smart move. We have sunday also a bit of a questionmark fot the last 2 songs. No true standard arrangement or guitar parts for that matter. Old school songs for piano and acoustic guitar. But the desire to build a little, some "sferic" elements (whatever that me be ;-)). So leaves me a little uncomfortable.

However I made some outline licks, structure for myself for different scenarios. We'll see.

I decided to exchange the fretless for my Smith Black Tiger for this Sunday, because of how uncoordinated Thursday rehearsal was. Things are going to be hard enough to tighten up without the possibility of me going “pitchy” every now and then. Im also drilling on the grooves on the provided recordings. Im hoping that if I can lay down a rock solid, confident foundation, things might come together.
We are playing one of my favorite songs from a while back. It’s got a nice groove that gets you moving.
And, I confess that I embellish on it a bit…

One of my fave worship songs we do. After Third Day took their year off (and before their farewell tour), I'd booked Mark Lee at a couple churches (ours included). I'd asked him one favor...to do 'I've Always Loved You' with myself and our drummer. He not only obliged the request, he worked out a medley with us to do that song, God of Wonders and tossed in Agnus Dei to end that. Well, we called up my wife to the stage to sing, another friend asked if she could play, Mark gave a thumbs up and her husband went and bought her djembe back to round out a really nice evening of great music.

What you don't know is...our drummer has Asperger's and Mark was superb working with him in what and where to come in regarding the beat and changeup at key points. That's a night I'll never forget.

love that kind of songs. Funky, joyful, making people want to dance.

Too bad I am part of a church that is partial to the bethel sound, we dont play that stuff

Who is serving on easter (morning) this year? We are having a baptism service, that is three of them and I will be busy al morning playing my part. Will share the livestream

And since this is a guitar forum: as an added bonus my newly acquired cu22 will join the festivities :)

Who is serving on easter (morning) this year? We are having a baptism service, that is three of them and I will be busy al morning playing my part. Will share the livestream

And since this is a guitar forum: as an added bonus my newly acquired cu22 will join the festivities :)
I really miss being involved with Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas services. I used to be involved with all of them. Then my wife started taking on the responsibility of the family get-togethers on those occasions. And she needs my assistance. Hopefully, the now young adult sons and daughters will take on the responsibility in the future and I can get back in the saddle.

Happy Easter!
I'm not on the team this weekend, but at least I get to join in with the celebration :)
Looks like I'm scheduled for bass a few times next month, and hopefully on guitar real soon.
Deepender-- I recognize you from the TB forum (P&W band club), yes? I'm "Wolfhound32" when on 4-strings :)

Happy easter everyone!

Served this morning, but will not share the stream. My kemper crapped out on me (or to be more precise: the volume pedal, as I found out at home), so I had to go home to get my backup rig. Hard working services.

But, we got like 74 baptisms, so that makes up for it and more! :)

Bummer about the pedal, Gtrbldr! While on the topic of playing, I'm noticing some of you seem to play every week (I do) and some go through a specific schedule or rotation. So...curious...do you who play weekly prefer that? And, do you who rotate desire to play more often? i love my weekly routine...it keeps me fresh. It would be frustrating if only playing 1-2 times a month.

Congratulations. Very cool amp and guitar!!

We have 6 full bands and that means I olay only once in a blue moon. Would prefer to serve more often if I'm honest.

I used to play a lot at Unity of Boulder.

Using an overdrive pedal for anything was inappropriate.

Do you guys who play in more traditional settings ever use distortion and overdrive?

Yes, I do when the song requires it. Have a listen to Chris Tomlin's "Our God". And, there are many others. Third Day, Casting Crowns, Mercy Me...these artists and many others have songs that have overdrive/distortion, etc., and we replicate that when the song calls for it. Wondering why it would be deemed inappropriate...? We don't use an orchestral approach to music in our church (nothing wrong with that one way or another), so your comment strikes me in a curious way.

Congratulations. Very cool amp and guitar!!

We have 6 full bands and that means I olay only once in a blue moon. Would prefer to serve more often if I'm honest.
Wow...6 bands??? Is there player overlap? Lol, we only have 40-50 on a great day in church. Our's is small, seating a max of about 200. Right now we lack a drummer, so the keyboard player programs a rhythm section as close as he can. Thus, we have keys, two guitar players and one bass player. Anywhere from 3-5 worship band singers. It works, but we sure miss our drummer.

I used to play a lot at Unity of Boulder.

Using an overdrive pedal for anything was inappropriate.

Do you guys who play in more traditional settings ever use distortion and overdrive?
There are a few songs I've used the overdrives on; first to come to mind is Revelation Song-- Man do we crank that one :D

Usually I have my amp setting on overdrive with the guitar up full, then roll the volume back until it's pretty clean. That gives me the option to add/subtract overdrive with just the volume knob as the feel of a song progresses, which covers about 90% of what we do.

Last edited:
Back