PRS In Church?

Well, serious answer would be that in order to de-stagify worship in church anything goes. There are so many celebrity worship leaders nowadays and I for one dont think that is a good direction.

We might as well play behind a curtain, like the old organ players of days gone by (or in the church next door). It is not about me, my pretty PRS or my blistering stage performance (which I dont have btw) when I' up there.

I understand exactly what you mean by your sentiments, Gtrblder. After all, our worship should be all about Christ and point to the Word. But, I will differ a bit on the outlook. Biblically speaking, God used some on "pedestals" (and not) as examples to look to (or not). David was the object of much of the Lord's approval, yet not when he strayed. Job was highly recommended as a faithful follower for Satan to consider and then had him tested, etc.

My view is this...if a worship leader is onto a "world stage" (Chris Tomlin, Mark Hall, etc.), is that not to God's glory? Sure it is. Don't we all still screw up and sin at times? Yep...hence 1Jhn 1:9 comes along and reminds us how we have to turn from that ole sin nature within. So, if a bit of what seems like world fame or good financial fortune comes along. Not a thing wrong with that...consider it a blessing from the Lord. Still, there will be the human flaws that shine through like David's adultery, Jonah's thinking he's right about those Ninevites...but was wrong, etc. Then, that's for the Lord to correct.

Now, the opposite is also true. What if God intends for you to be on that stage (or whomever) and you refuse to take it? (Liken that to Moses not wanting to lead the people out of Egypt) Would that not also be sin in refusing to use a gift or talent the Lord gave? The Lord's own words to Moses were..."You will be like God to the people and Aaron will speak on your behalf." And, God did that only to help Moses get beyond his own lack of confidence.

Point is...if the Lord puts people on a stage to lead worship, share His word through music, lead someone to Christ...so be it. That's a great and honorable calling. I've learned these days not to let those straying from the word and falling into the greed trap cause me judge all efforts in that manner in the same way. If they're not sincere in their efforts, and they're true believers...the Lord will correct them.

On a similar note, my dad wasn't a believer...told us kids "all those TV preachers just want to take your money". Well, some do...some don't. Now I had an experience listening to an evangelistic "hellfire & damnation" preacher on a street corner and I told my pastor,"I almost went up to him and told him that style of beating it over someone's head deterred me for years." But, he said..."Don't do it. For as it might put off some, others will be led to Christ in that same way." That's what prompted me years ago to just stand back and view that bigger picture. Lol, and that reminds me of how much I don't know everything the Lord uses in this world...just need to answer that basic question...is it bringing Him the glory. So, I do understand your point in the ultimate quest of life of humbleness and portraying more of Christ and less of ourselves. Yet, He will use some in the limelight and that's ok, too.

Last edited:
^^^ The problem with people is people....lol. God works through people. Find a "style" or "type" that works for you and leave the rest alone. Chew the meat, spit the bones kind of thing. What draws others may repel others just as much. If our eyes are truly on Jesus then a lot of the ancillary things we have issues with may not be noticed. ;)

^^^ The problem with people is people....lol. God works through people. Find a "style" or "type" that works for you and leave the rest alone. Chew the meat, spit the bones kind of thing. What draws others may repel others just as much. If our eyes are truly on Jesus then a lot of the ancillary things we have issues with may not be noticed. ;)
Yep, but that usually takes a time of learning to focus. Years will refine it! Good point!

Let me chew on it. On some level I agree, however like Bogner pointed out: people will be people.

Might come back with more of a thought through response

Edit: telephone typos

Last edited:
Ah!!! So...Narrowfields have always intrigued me. How do you like the tone? I've always scouted for a PRS for sale that included them.
NF3 is one of the greatest guitars ever made. The pickups are phenomenal and the guitar is very very versatile.

It's another "didn't sell well because people feared how hard it would be to replace the pickups" guitar, when in fact, no one in their right mind would EVER replace these pickups! The market outsmarted itself on this one. You can't touch them within 50% of what I paid for mine, or I'd buy another one and drop a 59/09 or \M/ in the bridge and have the ultimate super strat for hard rock and metal!

Last edited by a moderator:
NF3 is one of the greatest guitars ever made. The pickups are phenomenal and the guitar is very very versatile.

It's another "didn't sell well because people feared how hard it would be to replace the pickups" guitar, when in fact, no one in their right mind would EVER replace these pickups! The market outsmarted itself on this one. You can't touch them within 50% of what I paid for mine, or I'd buy another one and drop a 59/09 or \M/ in the bridge and have the ultimate super strat for hard rock and metal!
In addition to what I've pm'd you...you just confirmed what I suspected! Now I REALLY want one! :p :)

Point is...if the Lord puts people on a stage to lead worship, share His word through music, lead someone to Christ...so be it. That's a great and honorable calling.
This, for sure. In regards to my testimony, I came to faith as a result of feeling the presence of the Lord at a POD (Payable on Death) concert in 2018. Their vocalist, Sonny Sandoval, is very outwardly Christian and is a cofounder of The Whosoever's ministry. I've always known him as a Christian, as it was a band I've listened to since the late 90's. BUT, when I saw him live, I was in a bad place mentally and spiritually, but when I saw him perform, I kept thinking "if I could only have an ounce of the joy he is performing with, I wonder where that comes from". Boom, it was like God entered into that small club and just lit up my soul, and I started crying, joyfully! I knew immediately that the answer, the missing piece, the healing would only come from accepting Jesus as my savior. I am VERY grateful to Sonny for leading me in that moment to see the truth, His truth.

So, to your point, my walk with Jesus started in a small heavy metal club in December of 2018, with a performer on stage, right in the middle of the secular world. That's where I was, and that's where he finally reached me.

This, for sure. In regards to my testimony, I came to faith as a result of feeling the presence of the Lord at a POD (Payable on Death) concert in 2018. Their vocalist, Sonny Sandoval, is very outwardly Christian and is a cofounder of The Whosoever's ministry. I've always known him as a Christian, as it was a band I've listened to since the late 90's. BUT, when I saw him live, I was in a bad place mentally and spiritually, but when I saw him perform, I kept thinking "if I could only have an ounce of the joy he is performing with, I wonder where that comes from". Boom, it was like God entered into that small club and just lit up my soul, and I started crying, joyfully! I knew immediately that the answer, the missing piece, the healing would only come from accepting Jesus as my savior. I am VERY grateful to Sonny for leading me in that moment to see the truth, His truth.

So, to your point, my walk with Jesus started in a small heavy metal club in December of 2018, with a performer on stage, right in the middle of the secular world. That's where I was, and that's where he finally reached me.
Praise God He did! The Lord is very gracious to meet us where we are at (location, stage of life, etc). He is always at the door knocking, we just may not be in a place in our lives to hear until we do hear. :) The same with Him speaking to us. He is always talking, we just may not be tuned in to His voice. When we are, He is right there! He is always there!!

Hi, everyone! It is a great idea, if only because music is also partly a prayer and a way to please other people with your creativity, which is certainly pleasing to God. In the church near my house, First Church Love also has a music group consisting of parishioners of this church. I'm not religious, but I love to go to these guys' concerts. I feel that the oi tries to give their listeners a piece of their soul with their creativity. It's great.

Last edited:
Served at church today, went real well. 9 and 11 AM.

Rejoice
Vine and Branches (Original song by our music leader).
Firm Foundation
Is He Worthy
Redeemed By the Blood.

After the first service a gentleman from the congregation asked what make of guitar I was using. "Paul Reed Smith Vela" I told him. He said "man, that's a stunner and it sounds great!"

This past weekend, I was honored to be a part of the worship team for our church's 6th-12th grade retreat at a camp here in Michigan called Spring Hill. We have several campuses that combine for the weekend, and it was the most amazing worship experience I've been a part of. The band was full of super talented believers focused on the goal of creating moments of worship for the kids, and the during the Saturday evening high school service, we played a nearly 12 minute version of a song called "Hidden", and we went into a spontaneous worship moment that just broke the room down, and seeing these kids who have to live with so much shame or guilt or stress just fall to their knees in tears, with their friends and leaders their to comfort them was something I've never seen before. I was emotional on stage at that point, we all were. The Holy Spirit was moving in that moment, and to experience that and to be able to give those high schoolers the space to open up to their peers and mentors was something I will never forget.

We played a lot of high energy songs, and we sure were rocking all weekend, but I wanted to share that moment specifically as it had, and will continue to have, a profound impact on my life as a Christian and my God given gift to play guitar and help lead worship.

This is my first year of retirement. I mistakenly thought I would "slow down", lol! Instead, I'm finding a more immediate goal of years of projects to finally complete. Trying to clear the garage back out to work on amps there. Interesting how much you collect over the decades!!! :) On the PRS front, I will say I'm now into 5 weeks of playing my Singlecut TVJones-loaded axe and my Sunburst 22 is getting jealous.:p

Back