PRS In Church?

Today wasn't a typical service. We had our annual "Summerfest" where we played outdoors in one of the local parks. In attendance were members of the congregation from our sister church in Detroit. So some of the songs were more along the lines of what they know as well. We played:

Raise a Hallelujah.
You Are Good
Let Revival Come
Build My Life
Goodness of God

Sorry, no pics. But some may be posted on our church site later in the week. I'll try to remember to take a look.
Great set list!

Another good set of worship! Have a fun one!

I'm playing this weekend as well (guitar):

Goodness of God C
Egypt G
The Christ The King G
What a Beautiful Name D

Haven't played with our team in a few weeks, ready to get back up there.

Another good set of worship! Have a fun one!

I'm playing this weekend as well (guitar):

Goodness of God C
Egypt G
The Christ The King G
What a Beautiful Name D

Haven't played with our team in a few weeks, ready to get back up there.
I’m really looking forward to playing my PRS and handling lead some day (soon I hope). So far, I haven’t been able to nail down the lead parts of the songs in the time allowed (songs usually post on late Tuesday, rehearsal on Thursday). Until I get better at that, I’m not going to waste everyone’s time while I struggle with my part. On bass? No problem nailing it down in a couple of days. I’ve found that when you’ve been thinking like a bass player for a couple of decades, it’s kinda hard to start thinking like a lead player.

When I was playing every week in church we were doing eight songs during each of the three services each weekend. Most of the songs never required a lead line just comping cords with a little delay, chorus, phasing or what have you. I used to make copies of our sets on cassette tapes and later I’d use those to practice playing lead lines over the songs that needed them, that way I was ready when that song came up again. One thing if you’re playing all the time is to make sure you’re changing out your strings every week. To keep me from constantly having to tune up I used to change them out every Thursday or Friday and have them stretched out by the time I had to play, this also made it to where I didn’t have to worry or deal with breaking any strings while playing.

When I was playing every week in church we were doing eight songs during each of the three services each weekend. Most of the songs never required a lead line just comping cords with a little delay, chorus, phasing or what have you. I used to make copies of our sets on cassette tapes and later I’d use those to practice playing lead lines over the songs that needed them, that way I was ready when that song came up again. One thing if you’re playing all the time is to make sure you’re changing out your strings every week. To keep me from constantly having to tune up I used to change them out every Thursday or Friday and have them stretched out by the time I had to play, this also made it to where I didn’t have to worry or deal with breaking any strings while playing.
I have been stretching the strings more at change out and finding them to be much more stable. I’m not sure which video showed me this, but it sure has worked for me. I used to just apply tension by pulling away from the fretboard while winding. I still do that, but now after coming to pitch, I grab the string with thumb of one hand and index of the other and stretch the string hard in a Z shape. Then I retune and repeat until the stretch no longer pulls the string out of tune. Try it, you’ll like it.

We had our practice last night for this Sunday's service. Seemed to have a fair amount of technical problems. We got a new mixing board and a new in ear monitor system which is all a step up from what we had. As with anything new it takes time to get aquainted with it all. It wasn't a disaster and they sorted through everything fairly quickly.

This weeks songs are:

My Beloved: David Crowder
The Anthem: Planetshakers
Come As You Are: David Crowder
All My Hope: David Crowder
Beautiful Things: Gungor

Looks like a "Crowder Fest" of sorts with 3 of his songs. No complaints. I think he's a great writer.

We had our practice last night for this Sunday's service. Seemed to have a fair amount of technical problems. We got a new mixing board and a new in ear monitor system which is all a step up from what we had. As with anything new it takes time to get aquainted with it all. It wasn't a disaster and they sorted through everything fairly quickly.

This weeks songs are:

My Beloved: David Crowder
The Anthem: Planetshakers
Come As You Are: David Crowder
All My Hope: David Crowder
Beautiful Things: Gungor

Looks like a "Crowder Fest" of sorts with 3 of his songs. No complaints. I think he's a great writer.
Nice, we haven't ever played any of those songs at our church, would love to rock some Crowder! And yes, new stuff like that always has a break in period. Just having good people on board helps that transition too! We are a portable campus still, meeting at our local junior high school, with a really nice performing arts center actually, so we have the random issue here and there because of setting up and tearing down every service.

Have a good service on Sunday!

I’m really looking forward to playing my PRS and handling lead some day (soon I hope). So far, I haven’t been able to nail down the lead parts of the songs in the time allowed (songs usually post on late Tuesday, rehearsal on Thursday). Until I get better at that, I’m not going to waste everyone’s time while I struggle with my part. On bass? No problem nailing it down in a couple of days. I’ve found that when you’ve been thinking like a bass player for a couple of decades, it’s kinda hard to start thinking like a lead player.
Totally get that. We get the songs on Tuesday/Wednesday. No rehearsal though, just call time at 7AM on Sunday morning, rehearsal and run through on the day, and then right into the service! So I've learned to just nail down everything as quick as possible and to show up prepared. Its made me a much better player and student of guitar, which as a byproduct, is really awesome!

Nice, we haven't ever played any of those songs at our church, would love to rock some Crowder! And yes, new stuff like that always has a break in period. Just having good people on board helps that transition too! We are a portable campus still, meeting at our local junior high school, with a really nice performing arts center actually, so we have the random issue here and there because of setting up and tearing down every service.

Have a good service on Sunday!
Thank you! We were a "roving outfit" for a while ourselves eventually setting up shop in one of the local high school auditoriums. They finally purchase an excisting building about 2 years ago which was an old movie theater. had it redone to accomidate our needs and it's all working quite well. Attendance has risen, we're doing 2 services and there's talk of adding a 3rd service. If I'm not mistaken I think the seating capacity is about 450.

Hope you have fun as well this Sunday!

Thank you! We were a "roving outfit" for a while ourselves eventually setting up shop in one of the local high school auditoriums. They finally purchase an excisting building about 2 years ago which was an old movie theater. had it redone to accomidate our needs and it's all working quite well. Attendance has risen, we're doing 2 services and there's talk of adding a 3rd service. If I'm not mistaken I think the seating capacity is about 450.

Hope you have fun as well this Sunday!
Love to see the growth! Hoping for a day when we'll have one, its been portable a few years. There's been talk, so we'll see. Ultimately, its just a building, what happens in and out of are what's important, and I'm just happy to be able to serve!

Back