PRS In Church?

theDeepender

Yup…
Probably the most healthy and longest running thread on TalkBass is The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club. It has pretty much the same guidelines as here, suggesting no debating doctrine or politics, etc. While it was limited on the allowable number of pages it had LOTS of continuations, and is at this post on page 4954 and still going strong. Those worship musicians are a tight bunch. A LOT of PRS is being used in churches, so I got to wondering if maybe we could get that kind of thing going here where PRS owners who play in church can gather for support and commiseration.

Here is your formal invitation.

Probably the most healthy and longest running thread on TalkBass is The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club. It has pretty much the same guidelines as here, suggesting no debating doctrine or politics, etc. While it was limited on the allowable number of pages it had LOTS of continuations, and is at this post on page 4954 and still going strong. Those worship musicians are a tight bunch. A LOT of PRS is being used in churches, so I got to wondering if maybe we could get that kind of thing going here where PRS owners who play in church can gather for support and commiseration.

Here is your formal invitation.
Here is my PRS soon to be on stage (as soon as I get my act together) (I already play bass with them)

Today wasn't a typical service. We had our annual "Summerfest" where we played outdoors in one of the local parks. In attendance were members of the congregation from our sister church in Detroit. So some of the songs were more along the lines of what they know as well. We played:

Raise a Hallelujah.
You Are Good
Let Revival Come
Build My Life
Goodness of God

Sorry, no pics. But some may be posted on our church site later in the week. I'll try to remember to take a look.

Today wasn't a typical service. We had our annual "Summerfest" where we played outdoors in one of the local parks. In attendance were members of the congregation from our sister church in Detroit. So some of the songs were more along the lines of what they know as well. We played:

Raise a Hallelujah.
You Are Good
Let Revival Come
Build My Life
Goodness of God

Sorry, no pics. But some may be posted on our church site later in the week. I'll try to remember to take a look.
Is that Israel Houghton You Are Good?
I love playing that one!

This is a good thread you started. l won’t be able to post any pictures because I haven’t played an electric guitar in church for probably eight years or so and when I was I didn’t own a PRS, I was playing US made Hamer’s. I can contribute that my favorite Israel Houghton song I lead is “Your Presence Is Heaven To Me”.

Not me but I've had this on my phone since Christmas service and been wondering where to share on the board..

Screenshot_20220818-103426_Galleryaa748bdb5c7ea249.jpg

I mean, it is kinda your thread, @theDeepender. You can set parameters for it.

There’s a Slayer Sunday thread, and it has specific rules. While it’s not exactly the same thing, it’s frowned upon to post on any other day and you can’t like, post Morbid Angel or anything.
I’ve been in threads like this where the same question arises. And to me, it’s always been a matter of doing what I always do in forums. If you like what you read, respond. If you don’t like what you read, scroll past it. There are many who post just to create a debate or dissention, while others are true proponents of the ideas that they post, and I don’t feel like it’s my responsibility to decide which is which. I don’t reward anyone who tries to stir up trouble. I will, on the other hand, warn those who intentionally or not, attempt to get a thread shut down by breaking the rules. And I’m thinking that promoting a debate on whether Christian or non Christian worship should be allowed here is dancing too close to that line. If you like what’s posted, respond. If you don’t, scroll on. Don’t encourage doctrinal debate.
Nuff said.

Some of my PRSi have been heard in church (I record the occasional backing track for my mother to play with).

I have been asked not to appear because some of the parishioners were apparently upset by the smell of burning flesh.

This thread reminded me I need to freshen up on the Worship bands set list....they like to crash course practice 2 weeks before an event. We usually play retreats, events, and any service that might be tied to the event...not really the regular services at one church...we get hired out around the area locally. We haven't played since May ...so... I'm sure we are all rusty. The other members at least usually already know everything, but I also play in other projects too and I lose it all lol.

This thread reminded me I need to freshen up on the Worship bands set list....they like to crash course practice 2 weeks before an event. We usually play retreats, events, and any service that might be tied to the event...not really the regular services at one church...we get hired out around the area locally. We haven't played since May ...so... I'm sure we are all rusty. The other members at least usually already know everything, but I also play in other projects too and I lose it all lol.
We get our set lists (normally 4 songs) around Tuesday and are expected to know our parts by practice Thursday evening. The Worship Leader posts assignments, service flow, charts and mp3s on our Worshipplanning website. I use forScore to make notes on the charts and display them on an iPad. Both work nicely.

We get our set lists (normally 4 songs) around Tuesday and are expected to know our parts by practice Thursday evening. The Worship Leader posts assignments, service flow, charts and mp3s on our Worshipplanning website. I use forScore to make notes on the charts and display them on an iPad. Both work nicely.
I gotta work on our 15+ song setlist...and be ready to crank it out...I'm the only electric player so I can't drop the ball.

Setlist:
God's not dead
Lion and the Lamb
The only name
My Jesus
Old Church Choir
God so Loved
Take it all
Your Love awakens me
How he loves
Reckless Love
This is amazing grace
Holy Spirit
How Great is our God

plus a few originals......

AND...The Middle by Jimmy eat world...lol

Right now I forgot everything...but my pedal settings are all saved...I'll play through the songs on spotify through the PA and in a few hours I'll be golden....I'll be ready to have a good band practice when we get it in.

Back