PRS "hybrid" trem

bowo

Hi guys. I notice that most PRS today comes with "hybrid" trem. It appears to have brass saddles and mounting screws.
My question is, is there any tonal difference in addition to cosmetic?
What material are the saddles on older trem made of? Steel or plated brass? If it's steel then there must be massive tonal difference old vs new PRS.
Similar issue regarding the brass post on newer tuners, compared to chrome post on old tuners.

I can't answer your questions but I have a 2011 cu24 that needs new saddles. I got it used and started breaking A strings after one four hour gig right away. I took a very small file to the saddle and that took care of it for a while but now I'm back to breaking A strings.

The hybrid hardware simply has some gold plated and some nickel plated parts. It's a cosmetic thing. They offer some models with all gold plating, hybrid gold and nickel, or all nickel. And the Artist package available on a bunch of models also offers a choice of gold, nickel, or hybrid plating.

Think stainless steel Rolex with a gold bezel, and you have the idea. It's strictly decor, and the saddles are undoubtedly made of the same materials. I have no idea what those materials are, but tonally there's probably no difference from the plating (unless your name is PR Smith, in which case, you already know what the saddles are made of and if they sound a teensy weensy bit different plated with gold or nickel).

I could have sworn I read that PRSh has decided that nickel plating is detrimental to tone so he's just not plating brass saddles anymore. Same reason they switched to unplated brass shafts on the Phase II tuners a few years ago.

I could have sworn I read that PRSh has decided that nickel plating is detrimental to tone so he's just not plating brass saddles anymore. Same reason they switched to unplated brass shafts on the Phase II tuners a few years ago.

This. I'm pretty sure they started it with the DGTs...

Jamie

Well, they also do they hybrid gold and nickel thing, so you do know a little...

Jamie

What Jamie said. Two different animals - PRS uses the "hybrid" term to refer to mixed silver and gold hardware.

But starting with (I believe) the DGT, they did plain brass posts on the tuners for better tone. It may have been a different model - I'd have to look at my DGT, but I'm pretty sure my 1957/2008 SC245 has the plain brass posts on vintage-style (non-locking) tuners. They've since expanded it to just about everything. They even have (or at least had) a trem upgrade kit for that.

Hmm I thought it was just the groove in the saddle i.e. where the string contacts that is unplated?

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?1375-What-were-are-Artist-tweaks

Nope - tuning posts as well. Here's a pic of the headstock of my SC245. (Strangely enough, I found it through a Seymour Duncan web page - I couldn't remember the address of my own page for it!)

Headstock2.jpg

Nope - tuning posts as well.
Oh yeah I knew that, sorry wasn't clear, I meant just that on the saddles, I thought it was only the grooves that were unplated.

I remember John Mann was able to supply completely unplated saddles (but only at certain times e.g. before a plating run)

I asked for a nickel MannMade trem with unplated brass saddles for my Private Stock. My Braz 408 has a hybrid trem as well. The saddles look the same to me.

Oh yeah I knew that, sorry wasn't clear, I meant just that on the saddles, I thought it was only the grooves that were unplated.

I remember John Mann was able to supply completely unplated saddles (but only at certain times e.g. before a plating run)

The adjustment screws are brass now, too.

Hybrid = nickel & gold plated hardware, brass screws.

PRS is polishing the plating off the string slot only. Saddles are brass, nickel or gold plated.

YES, I do offer completely un-plated & polished saddles.
BTW... all new saddles come with highly polished top faces! And I also have a supply of PRE-1985 style saddles!

Back