PRS: How We Grade Our Woods

I'm not sure, but my Artist Quilt top might go up to 11.

dnGLZPw.jpg

TSGQIsN.jpg

"Clearly defined across the top." I've never understood why that's the main standard people want. I'll take unique over consistent any day. I'm more impressed with unusual and a good book match (which also explains my preference for two piece over 1 piece tops).

I'm with you. I dig unusual.

"Clearly defined across the top." I've never understood why that's the main standard people want. I'll take unique over consistent any day. I'm more impressed with unusual and a good book match (which also explains my preference for two piece over 1 piece tops).

That only happens after your millionth one.

Interesting bit about the old guitars. I always thought the VY guitars looked the best, now I kinda know why.

yeah the non-10 they used as an example had a righteous top. One of the better tops I've seen on a non-10 and very unique.

Those are the real gems

Interesting bit about the old guitars. I always thought the VY guitars looked the best, now I kinda know why.

Now I know why my 86s, both Royal Blue, have somewhat less than stellar tops. It was by design and actually makes perfect sense.

Hmmmm, I dunno, me the customer would be pretty irked if my guitar went into production, wasn't slated to be a 10 top and was rerouted to be someone elses 10 top and my build had to start over... :confused:

Hmmmm, I dunno, me the customer would be pretty irked if my guitar went into production, wasn't slated to be a 10 top and was rerouted to be someone elses 10 top and my build had to start over... :confused:

Can you pick out your own top on a non-10 core order? If you can, I'm sure they wouldn't regrade and ship it off to someone else after routing.

Can you pick out your own top on a non-10 core order? If you can, I'm sure they wouldn't regrade and ship it off to someone else after routing.

No, you can only pic your own tops on Private Stock builds and some other special exceptions...

You would never know this... The dealer is the customer...

This is exactly my point. If they pull the top for "my build" route it and realize that it really pops and it gets regraded as a 10 top (that my dealer didn't order) what happens? Does the build start over, basically booting me back to the bench to to speak instead of having my guitar start production? Even if the customer isn't explicitly aware, the fact that the video clearly states that the top then gets routed to a different queue is a bum deal IMHO.

It would seem that PRS doesn't allow you to win the "Top Lottery" if your non 10 top becomes a 10 top down the line, the customer seemingly loses.

Back