Prefer Hollowbody II or Hollowbody II 594

• 594 Hollowbody I

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Hollowbody II

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Steve Conicelli

Hi All,

Just some quick background: This will be my first post on this site! I am a long time PRS fan and an owner of a beautiful 2010 Custom 24 Artist Package (59/09s)... and while I love the guitar's aesthetics, I've just never really gelled with the tonality of the instrument. I find myself reaching for my Suhr or Tele much more frequently... however I still do love the guitar and will most likely be keeping this forever.

This brings me to my current question for the experts here... I am really considering buying a Hollowbody or Semi-Hollow type guitar... I really want the open/woodsy tone that you can only get with these types of guitars. I was leaning towards the 594 hollowbody but was unsure about the new neck profile. This motivated me to make the trek to the closest GC and Sam Ash where I played a few different guitars: PRS McCarty 594 to get a feel for the pattern vintage neck, ES-335, and ES-335 Studio... (neither had any hollowbody PRSs unfortunately)

Out of all the guitars, I liked the Gibsons' by far. The PRS' build quality was surprisingly sub-par... It could also be due to the way GC has taken care of the instrument... but it seemed near impossible to tune and when fretting any notes, it would bend the note out of tune by a lot. I'm wondering if anyone has ever noticed this?

I really was leaning towards a 594 hollowbody after seeing some online demos but after playing the 594 McCarty with the Pattern Vintage neck, I have to say that I found that neck to be very uncomfortable. It almost felt like a V shape to me which I did not dig at all...

Sorry for all the lead-up, but my question is whether or not the Hollowbody II's sound is very different from the 594 Hollowbody? I think the playability of the Pattern neck may be worth more than the sound of the 594 with the uncomfortable neck... also wondering what the overall build quality has been like for the PRS core models since I've had a VERY bad experience with the 594 McCarty at Guitar Center.

Appreciate any help!
Thanks,
Steve

My #onemansopinion is that tone is probably the least important between these two models. Just looking at 2020 vs 2020 they’ve got the same tonewood, construction, and pickups. Neck carve, control layout and piezo option vs coil splits are more important factors so if you don’t like the neck carve everything else may be moot.

I also wouldn’t hold it against the whole line that one guitar at GC had a bad setup that day. Both of my core models need seasonal adjustment and you know how long more expensive guitars can be sitting on those walls.

My #onemansopinion is that tone is probably the least important between these two models. Just looking at 2020 vs 2020 they’ve got the same tonewood, construction, and pickups. Neck carve, control layout and piezo option vs coil splits are more important factors so if you don’t like the neck carve everything else may be moot.

I also wouldn’t hold it against the whole line that one guitar at GC had a bad setup that day. Both of my core models need seasonal adjustment and you know how long more expensive guitars can be sitting on those walls.
Agree - I definitely don't hold it against the brand but am wondering if maybe there's been a decline in quality control and if others have maybe seen similar... this guitar was so bad out of whack that even seasonal factors could not have played a role - maybe one slipped through? Just something I am considering when I will most likely be getting the guitar online and will not be able to play it first hand.

Thanks for the suggestion too... as long as the tonality of the two are similar, I also would agree that the neck carve may be the deciding factor here... unless someone else has a good argument otherwise between these two models.

The differences will be slight - both have the same construction, woods, PU's but differ in bridge and scale length. Obviously the neck carve and layout is different too and you will be choosing between a Piezo or having Coil Split options. The sound of the neck, bridge, both Humbuckers should sound quite similar but you do have the option to blend in the Piezo or use just the Piezo on the HBii - even split the Piezo to an Acoustic amp and the Magnetics to a regular Guitar amp if you want. You get a 25" scale and a Pattern neck shape - all very 'PRS'. The 594 HBii will be very much like the Solid/semi-hollow 594 to play - same neck shape so if you don't like the 594 Solid to play, then you will have the same issue with the Hollowbody version - unless its just the weight of the solids that are an issue.

At the end of the day, if you don't find the neck of a 594 comfortable, then it makes NO sense to look at the 594 HBii. Its not going to be 'more' comfortable at all and regardless of how great it sounds, how well made it is etc, you will not enjoy playing it. I love the Pattern Vintage neck myself and feels worn in over years of playing - but I also like the Pattern Neck too. Therefore I would happily buy a 594 HBii - and in fact I am seriously GASsing for one even though I own a 594 and a Hollowbody ii.

I vote for the one with the Pattern neck.

If you find Pattern Vintage uncomfortable (and you have played several guitars with that shape... just to be sure that it wasn’t a one off thing), then the most gorgeous looking sounding guitar with that neck will still feel uncomfortable to you. If it feels uncomfortable to you then you probably won’t want to play it. I learned the hard way that one can’t really force these types of things.

That was quick.... and very awesome.
Lol thanks... I had a choice between this and the rosewood neck. Was worried the rosewood neck version would be neck heavy and also I already have a rosewood neck custom 24 which I may (or may not :D ) sell to help fund this splurge

Anyone have any info about how the HBii compares to an ES-335 (without the piezo engaged)? I absolutely loved the way the Studio ES I played sounded... wondering if the pickups are about the same output and just how the overall tone compares...

Anyone have any info about how the HBii compares to an ES-335 (without the piezo engaged)? I absolutely loved the way the Studio ES I played sounded... wondering if the pickups are about the same output and just how the overall tone compares...
To me, it’s not that much like a 335.
While not as loud, acoustically speaking, I find the movement of the top and what you feel on your chest/belly to be more like a Gretsch: which is a much more subdued version of what you feel with an acoustic.

Think 330. Not 335.

To me, it’s not that much like a 335.
While not as loud, acoustically speaking, I find the movement of the top and what you feel on your chest/belly to be more like a Gretsch: which is a much more subdued version of what you feel with an acoustic.

Think 330. Not 335.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
I’m really curious to see how this guy is going to handle a good bit of gain and drive... I remember playing my cousins Gretsch and feeling the guitar “buzzing” once you kicked in some drive... loved the sound of the Gretsch so much so I’m eager to compare that experience once the HBii arrives.

Other thing with this one too is that it is a Korina neck and middle with an ebony fingerboard. Super curious to see if that’s going to flavor it one way or another vs. the typical mahogany version.

Great choice!

I did a side by side comparison of my Hollowbody 2 to a 594 Hollowbody and there was quite a difference in even just acoustic tone; at least to my ears.

I could be wrong, but I believe the bracing or center block on the 594 is a bit different than on the Hollowbody 2. Looking inside, I could see a bit of a difference on the internal carve.

To my ears, the Hollowbody 2 has a noticeably larger “woody tone”, where as the 594 didn’t resonate AS much. Again, just my opinion. I dig the H2s a lot better.

Back