PRS Hollowbody I, II, 594 questions

Best Hollowbody for versatility, while nailing Phish/Trey tones?

• PRS Hollowbody I

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • PRS Hollowbody II

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • PRS Hollowbody II 594

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters
I could be COMPLETELY late to the game on this, and that's fine. However, I did just discover that the bracing on the Hollowbody 2 versus the Hollowbody 594 is way different...at least on mine. My 2014 Hollowbody 2's bracing under the bridge is pretty narrow and is just under the bridge, but the hollowbody 594's bracing extends past the bridge pickup; almost to the neck pickup cavity. I noticed a SLIGHT difference in tone between them. Both very good, don't get me wrong, but they seem to be different animals entirely.

Any thoughts?

I could be COMPLETELY late to the game on this, and that's fine. However, I did just discover that the bracing on the Hollowbody 2 versus the Hollowbody 594 is way different...at least on mine. My 2014 Hollowbody 2's bracing under the bridge is pretty narrow and is just under the bridge, but the hollowbody 594's bracing extends past the bridge pickup; almost to the neck pickup cavity. I noticed a SLIGHT difference in tone between them. Both very good, don't get me wrong, but they seem to be different animals entirely.

Any thoughts?

Maybe that's down to the two piece tune-o-matic style bridge on the PRS 594 HBii compared to the 1 piece Piezo bridge on the Hollowbody ii. Surely the posts to hold both parts of the 2piece Bridge must need something more solid to fit into and therefore have a bigger block underneath the top. They are spread apart so the option could of been to have to thin blocks for both parts of the bridge to fix into or just leave it as one thicker block - either way, its obvious that the 594 HBii would have a different block(s) because of the different bridge.

Any thoughts?

Not only that but supposedly there was a change to the inside of the top carve/bracing on the entire HB line some years ago.

I think this was a great pic for what you're after. People haven't talked much about scale length, but the 594 is a bit shorter scale length (closer to Gibson) and Trey plays a 25.5" scale length which is Fender. Shorter scale length sounds a little more warm or soft, and the longer scale sounds a little sharper. The HB II has a 25" so it's kind of in the middle. I'm a big fan of Trey's tone and for that reason I'm hesitant to go to a 594.

I've had a guitar around for years, but never got serious until this year. I got the SE HBII. Obviously it's not the same, but I have the same experience as you where I love playing it acoustic. Which is huge, because that means there's more time in the day to have the guitar in the hands.

I played another SE Hollowbody at the music store, through a Mesa Mark III amp (Trey's amp through the early 90's, and intermittently since.) There was nothing else in the signal chain. The first thing I played was Divided Sky intro, and literally after the second chord I was like "this is really it!" It felt amazing to have that tone. So I have a Mesa Mark V-35 on order =) People have gotten close with Fenders and other amps, and of course Big Red's tone has morphed over the years, but there's always been a pretty strong midrange presence which is characteristic of Mesa, and of the modded Fender Deluxe he used in the late 90s.

Anyway I hope this axe is still treating you well. I'm always happy to hear about someone else appreciating Trey's tone.

All the best,
Joe

My initial look into HB's started with spruce as it made sense with acoustics having a spruce top and I love how it looks and ages. There also appear to be more deals on spruce tops, at least right now.

I got impatient and went with this HBII Piezo. I've been watching this one for a long time and I'm a sucker for natural maple flame and unique features that give character, I kept coming back to this one with it's "Marylin Monroe Freckle" and unique blonde coloring.

I hope she sounds as good as she looks.

lwbmbvvyuzizjlkxi2rx.jpg

Back