PRS Hollowbody Dilema???

CVS

Not so new member
I have 2 PRS Hollowbody guitars (I know - a high class problem) ;).

1. 2008 Hollowbody - With Archtop pickups & spruce top. Rosewood fretboard
2. 2015 Hollowbody II - With 57-08 pickups, piezo, maple top & back. Rosewood fretboard.

I want to make one of these 2 guitars my go to "jazz" guitar (think George Benson & Paul Jackson Jr)
Right now both guitars have DAddario bright round wound 10 gauge strings. There is a definite difference in the tone of these 2 guitars. The 2008 HB is much lighter than the 2015 HB (the peizo has something to do with this I guess)

I have looked at archtop and other electric hollowbody guitars, but I really like the playability of both of my guitars which seem to fit my small body, hands and fingers very well. So I was thinking along the lines above vs getting another guitar.

What do you suggest I do? I am open to changing out pickups (even if not PRS pickups, strings etc). All comments welcome.

I agree with ^^^ Hollowbody Spruce should be perfect. I'm not sure you'll even need to consider changing pickups. Since I got my 2009 HB with Archtop pickups it has become unquestionably my #1 guitar. I'm not really a jazz guy so I can't comment on that. but I would think it should be perfect. I was also deciding between a HB and HB II. I went into a local store just with the intent of looking at the whale blue one he had listed on his website. I just wanted to look at the color and feel the weight to decide whether or not to drive the 3 hours to see an HB II a guy had listed on Reverb.

I was real up front with the guy I was just there to look to get an idea for a different one I was looking at. I had the guy take it off the wall and hand it to me and it was all over. And this one was about $1000 less than the one on Reverb.

The spruce one should work. Pure nickel flatwounds or pure nickel wrap roundwound strings, and you’re in business.

I know nothing of jazz pickups; all I do for that kind of tone is roll down the treble and go, and that’s with roundwound strings.

You can also try D`Addario half round strings. I use them on a Guild X170 that I use for 50's-60's-70's jazz.

Reactions: CVS
I think either guitar should get it done. Before changing pups, strongly consider Thomastik Infeld Strings. These are the strings of both the musicians you mention above. Strings make a big difference. Thomastiks are pricey, but then so are PRS's. You get what you pay for.

I'd go with the Spruce Hollowbody - I love mine! Definitely handles all kind of music and certainly jazz. I play D'Addario EXL110W's - wound third. Same gauge as what you are using except for the third string.

Thank you all for your feedback. In general, I like inexpensive solutions, so I am going to try different strings along with rolling back treble. Will not change out pick ups.
To be honest, I have not done anything on this front because I like the way both guitars sound right now for the most part (and the versatility that goes with my current set up)

Thank you all for your feedback. In general, I like inexpensive solutions, so I am going to try different strings along with rolling back treble. Will not change out pick ups.
To be honest, I have not done anything on this front because I like the way both guitars sound right now for the most part (and the versatility that goes with my current set up)
I agree with all of the above -- the spruce top with the archtop pickups should do it, not sure why it isn't already. You may also want to consider a jazzier amp. What amp do you use? I love my Rivera Suprema, the jazz amp to end all jazz amps. You can also do well with a Fender Reverb of some variety. I'm sure a PRS amp will work, too, just not sure which one this is:

Unfortunately, no PRS amps in my stable. I have never had the opportunity to play one. I have the following; a Fender Blues Jr (good sounding amp, but I have had a number of problems over the years with the reverb and the handles) , a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (tone wise my most favorite amp, especially on clean setting - but it is heavy and loud even at low volumes), and a Roland Blues Cube Artist (which I use at the house for the most part - very dependable & has acceptable tone especially when coupled with pedals)

Back